“It was okay”
Review of Captain Nautica

Captain Nautica
More attraction details
Owner description: Captain Nautica provides the most fun and exhilarating private charters in the Virgin Islands. We offer private charters for up to 12 people in both the US and British Virgin Islands.
Gilbert, AZ
17 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 28 helpful votes
“It was okay”
Reviewed October 23, 2013

We booked this excursion through Carnival Cruise Lines, which is something we don't usually do but we really wanted to try this type of boat (RIB) so decided to go for it. It was fun, the snorkeling was okay, but it just didn't impress as much as some other excursions we've experienced. The staff didn't seem to interact with the guests as much as we would like. We were given the signs to use if we were experiencing trouble in the water, yet the crew stayed on the boat and chatted amongst themselves the entire time we were snorkeling.

It wasn't bad, but we probably wouldn't do it again for the amount of money we spent. There is probably a better choice.

Visited September 2013
1 Thank tammyz630
Joe C, Owner at Captain Nautica, responded to this review, October 25, 2013
I want to thank you for choosing Captain Nautica for your excursion in St. Thomas. I sincerely apologize that our excursion did not meet or exceed your standard of excellence. We strive to ensure that each and every guest enjoys our excursion and we greatly appreciate your feedback. Our staff is highly trained, while I cannot speak to the instance of staff talking on the boat, I can assure you that guest safety is of the utmost importance and staff is required to observe all snorkelers in the water from the boat to allow for appropriate response to a emergency situation. We would welcome you to give us another try in any future visits to St. Thomas. We would love the opportunity to meet your expectations and make your trip to St. Thomas one of the best ever.

ontario
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Captain Nautica's Ultimate Snorkel Expedition”
Reviewed October 7, 2013

My husband and I recently enjoyed this excursion with the Carnival Liberty. He is not a swimmer but I am a fish and thoroughly took advantage of the ability to get away from my shipmates and swim freely with the fish, turtles, barracuda, stingrays and beautiful underwater wildlife. Captain Rick and First Mate Amber were fabulous from start to finish. The small group of 20 was perfect...no fins in the face! My husband stayed on the boat and took pictures from above of myself and the surfacing turtles. Both Rick and Amber entertained him while they took turns swimming with those less experienced. This is not what he expected but they did so anyway and made him feel welcome even though he was not snorkeling. The food and liquid refreshments were a nice touch throughout the 4 hour experience as none of us thought to bring water/soda or food!! Thank you for this! The two stops we made were well worth the excursion fee. I swam with turtles at the first sight and ventured off towards shore where I saw a barracuda for the first time. I frightened a stingray as I glided over top of it. The colourful fish by the rocky shoreline were amazing. At the second stop Barry the Barracuda made a visit to the underbelly of the zodiac. I was within an arms length of this beautiful creature and Rick assured me Barry was well fed and would not treat me as an appetizer. The reef at this site had an abundance of fish as well and I could have spent hours trolling the area but the clock was ticking. I highly recommend this excursion to anyone no matter what their snorkeling ability but if you are a seasoned snorkeler take advantage of your time in the water and venture off into the designated areas to see it all!! Thank you Amber and Rick for an amazing adventure.

Visited October 2013
3 Thank Beans10
Oppegård, Akershus, Norway
19 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 25 helpful votes
“Great snorkling trip to Turtle Cove”
Reviewed July 26, 2013

We booker the trip through the adventure center on Allure of the Sea. We where 17 people in the group and 2 and 2 each got their litle Zodiac with a 40 hp. Yamaha, great fun to ride and set out for Turtle Cove. A fantastic place With some really nice snorkling. We saw Stingrays, a huge range of various fish and a huge Tarpoon ( 60+ lb.). A really amazing fish:). So for people who want some fun in addition to the snorkling (Zodiac piloting), this was a great trip.

Visited July 2013
Rocklin, California
34 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 55 helpful votes
“Excellent snorkeling, turtles, tons of fish, shipwreck”
Reviewed June 7, 2013

My wife and I recently visited St Thomas, Antigua, Tortola, and Nassua (Bahamas) on the Carnival Freedom.

We snorkeled at all 4 locations - this excursion was a bit more, but was TOTALLY worth it.

Captain Frank & Autumn were our boat runners. The boat ride was fine, though we did hit a few bigger swells on the way out - I think the Cap was trying to get out quickly for us ;) Trip out was against the current but we made good time. Went to Buck Island. Only 12 people on our boat which was great. Boat was 30 feet long with 2 225hp motors. Hard tarp cover provided shade for a few people on the way out, not most (most had shade on the way back). 2 stops for this expedition, the first had lots of turtles, which would float right up to you - it was awesome, even better than Maui. After awhile we decided to snorkel over to the reef, at first we weren't impressed but the further you went the better it got. We saw a school of little blue minnows, literally thousands of them which we snorkeled thru. We saw lots of fish, some which were a good size. There were lots of yellow & purple ones and we saw that was blue and glittered like a cocktail dress. We certainly saw hundreds of fish here (not counting the minnows), the more we floated the better it got. On our way back to the boat we saw the turtles again. Also saw a manta ray. We probably saw 8-10 turtles there. On our way to the 2nd spot we were given cantaloupe as a snack and drinks.

The second spot had a larger reef and a shipwreck. THere were lots of fish here too, and they really liked to be fed, but I think the variety of fish was less than the first spot. Lots of yellow tails and mid-sized blues. We snorkeled over the wreck after a bit, it was larger than I expected (40 feet I think) based on reviews I had read online. However it didn't have much going for it, not much structure has grown up around it yet. After that it was back to the boat for drinks and shrimp appetizers.

Other notes: there is a ladder to get back into the boat, I think a review before said there were no ladders... However it's a short ladder and requires some strength and coordination to use it. We had one large lady with us that wasn't able to pull herself up it enough to get back into the boat. Also, they have 'stay dry bags' for your stuff which you seal and clip onto the boat. They work well and secure your belongings to the craft.

Visited May 2013
3 Thank great49er
Clinton, IL
47 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 76 helpful votes
“Good time!”
Reviewed June 1, 2013

We booked this excursion thru carnival. My wife and I are very experienced snorkelers. We had a very nice experience. First of all the boat and crew are great. The boat is clean and fast, so it get's you to the snorkel site fast. The captain took us to two sites. The 1st was a snorkel with turtles. These are wild turtles and not conditioned to feeding. You can swim very close to them and get great pictures. The second site was more coral and a wreck. Pretty decent coral, and fair amount of fish. We had a realy great time. Captain and mate were both great. One thing we really liked is the group is small, and you are not subject to be "guided" doing the swim, which we really like. We had a great time, and would highly recommend!!

Visited April 2013