“Best Restaurant on the Island”
Review of The Cellar - CLOSED

The Cellar
Good for: Business meetings, Special occasions, Bar scene, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed October 16, 2009

I have never met a chef more passionate than the new executive chef at The Cellar, Greg Englehart. His combination of flavors is beyond belief...from the truffled macaroni and cheese to the crispy brie, and the foie gras was to die for. We started with a delicious peach ginger martini in the bar, created by a very friendly and knowledgeable bartender. She was also able to suggest various wines from their extensive wine list to have with dinner. After being seated, we were served a delicious appetizer with the freshest tuna I have tasted. My husband and I had the Sea Bass which was prepared branzino style, crispy on the outside and full of moisture and flavor on the inside. The flavors melted in your mouth. For dessert, we enjoyed the various flavors of creme brulee served in shot glasses... there was not a drop left!!
The night before we left the island we went back to have dessert, and the chef prepared a tableside feast of fresh fruit and chocolate melted in a creamy white sauce. WOW!! My palate had never tasted anything so full of flavor... This restaurant offers not only the most unique and flavorful food you will taste, but the service, atmosphere and overall dining experience will be a night to remember. If you want a real treat, ask to meet the chef...hearing him explain his creations, and his passion for food will explain why this is the BEST RESTAURANT ON THE ISLAND!

Reviewed October 15, 2009

We had the family style sampler. WOW! From the usual Caeser Salad, to a beautiful Beet Salad and a salad that featured smokey octopus. The best Mac n Cheese ever. Quail, Salmon, Fish n Chips, YUMMO! So much more and all just melted in our mouths. We ended with the Cheese n Cracker sampler plate, about 6+ cheeses both hard and soft, as we had no more room for dessert. We are no help with the price as our son treated us.

Reviewed October 2, 2009

I couldn't have asked for a better experience! The atmosphere is very New York City-esque and the ambiance was perfect. Warm, glowing walls, candlelit tables and super comfy leather chairs. Our server was amazing, very attentive and able to answer all questions about the menu. My boyfriend had the fresh catch, which was an amazingly tender cut of tuna that had just come in that day! I had the short ribs and it was incredible with the grilled peaches! We also had the shaved broccoli (wow) and the truffle mac n cheese (double wow). The cocktail menu was great too - I had the strawberry basil martini, which was so fresh and crisp - I had 2 of them! Dessert was really cool - little miniatures made in shot glasses. We did a combination of flavors and all were as wonderful as dinner!
I will definitely be back again!!

Reviewed July 20, 2009

I've lived in St Thomas for 2 years now and this is by far one of my favorite places to go! The servers and bartenders are always so friendly and the food and wine is fantastic! My co-worker and I love to stop by there after work for the happy hour - wine and cheese plate please! :)
Highly recommend this as a great place to entertain friends - the atmosphere is so chill and relaxing and I always feel welcome! Definitely try the lobster pasta - soooooo delicious. Love the lamb dish as well and the truffle mac n cheese is to die for!
I'll be back very soon!

Reviewed June 24, 2009

I decide to go to this restaurant after hearing from several people that this was a great place.When we arrive to the restaurant I walk into to the door and it smells like fishermans warf as if I was walking into a fish market .Not the smell that you want to get when your going into a fish restaurant.It all starts when she goes over the menu and specials and she tells us that they are out of the Pork because they don't have anymore collard greens and no quiche and they had 1 scallop left this was at 730 on a monday with a dead restaurant. I was brought 2 wines to try for my first course and went with the 1 that the server recommended.I finished both tasters and and because my girlfriend was having 1 of the wines that I had with my first course she goes to us is it ok if I pour her glass in your taster cup as if the were being lazy or 2 busy to wash another glass.Oh and by the way the restaurant was dead there were more employees working that night than people eating dinner there.When we get our first course we had the Baked Bree with an unpuffed and raw puffed pastry and the Foie Gras for 18 dollars and was given a cheap quality 1 oz piece and what looked like and tasted like banana baby food such a cheap and unworkable platting of foie gras.Ok so now our entrees come her fish didnt taste fresh with an unpleasant odor to it .I had the beef wellington that was raw in the center and had a unpuffed puff pastry and unbrown outside.The sugar snap peas served with the dish were not even cleaned I had to ask the server to take them back in to have the lazy cook clean them. This restaurant is a mess and has no excuse for it with no business I can see we are not the only people disliking this place.