“4th time is a charm!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Sail with Captain Max

Sail with Captain Max
More attraction details
Owner description: Capt Max will take you on a sail that you will remember forever. Sail, swim, snorkel and laugh. A perfect day
Atlanta, GA
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“4th time is a charm!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 31, 2013

We have tried to saild with Captain Max the past 3 times we have been in St. Thomas. The first time she was sold out, the second time we were booked and then our ship was diverted becaused of a hurricane, and the third time we were not in port long enough. When I found out we would be porting in St. Thomas on this cruise, I booked with Captain Max over a year in advance and crossed my fingers that everything would work out. AND IT DID!!!

We had a group of 6 so we had the whole boat to ourselves. It was amazing! Captain Max met us on the dock at the American Yacht Harbor in Red Hook. After a short ride on the dingy, we were on the Lou and ready to sail. We stopped at two locations to snorkle - Honeymoon Beach and Caneel Bay. Both places were beautiful, with lots of coral and sealife. The firstmate, Jordan, did a great job diving to the bottom of the ocean to pick up neat things for us to see. He was also very knowledgable about the different types of fish we were seeing. While we were snorkling, we saw several cruise ship excursions, with at least 75 people and we were so thankful we were not part of that. Our time was not rushed and very personal. It was awesome.

Our full day sail included a wonderful lunch consisting of chicken, orzo pasta salad, fruit, cheese and bread. We also had snacks and cookies. Of course the rum punch, beer and soda was free flowing.

I am so thankful everything worked out this time. Everyone in our group agreed that this sail was the highlight of our trip. It was an amazing adventure and I would certainly do it again!

Upstate NY
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“Amazing Adventure”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 29, 2013

We recently traveled to St. Thomas on a cruise. I booked a trip with Captain Max in advance after reading her stellar reviews on tripadvisor. To be honest, her reviews are all fantastic and they are right on the money; our experience was nothing short of phenomenal. Our morning began with a bit of chaos as we were a little bit late getting off of the cruise ship. Travelling internationally (and on our honeymoon) we decided to leave our cell phones behind so I had no method of contacting Captain Max. Have no fear, this was not Captain Max's first rodeo- I grabbed the bus driver's cell phone and Captain Max was ready and waiting upon our arrival. Without getting into every detail of our fantastic experience, I'll hit the highlights:

- Captain Max is awesome- fun, knowledgeable and easy to talk to;
- Captain Max's first mate Jordan (who was only on his third trip at the time of our sailing) was also fantastic- great energy, informative, eager to help and just a fun dude;
- Never having truly sailed before, the sailing was enjoyable but the real gem was the snorkeling. Captain Max seemed to know where all the action was and Jordan was able to dive right in a point us in the right direction. Whether it was seeing schools of brightly colored fish, dueling lobsters, or sea turtles and sting rays, the memories I have will last a lifetime;
- The lunch grilled chicken and pasta salad was delicious and a healthy alternative to the endless gluttony of the cruise ship;
- My wife was a bit apprehensive as she gets motion sickness on small boats. Captain Max took the "least- adventurous" route to our destinations and, I later learned, altered the snorkeling destinations to account for "rougher" seas. This is the level of personalization that you only get with a Captain like Max (and which you will not get on an 80 person catamaran trip);
- We (my wife and I) were able to enjoy the open water in privacy on the bow of the ship or engage in conversation with the others in the main seating section;
- The cost may seem high, but - a full day excursion, with a few or no other guests, including lunch, snorkeling gear, and guided adventures is actually a bargain;
- To top it all off, Max was in contact with another captain acquaintance and she arranged for us to car pool back to the ship. Again, added value and a personal touch.

In summary, I would recommend a day sail and snorkel with Captain Max to anyone that visits St. Thomas whether it's a family of 4 or a couple looking for a romantic adventure. If you're lucky enough you'll get to see the sights and share the experience with first mate Jordan as well.

A first rate experience (and we found out Captain Max has a vacation rental on her property in St. Thomas! Who knew!)

Cheers,
Myles

Colorado Springs, Colorado
“Best time ever....”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 29, 2013

My husband and I recently traveled to St. Thomas and were lucky enough to be able to book a sailing excursion with Captain Max and her 1st Mate Emma. We had the best time ever....Captain Max and Emma couldn't have been more accomodating and they definetely know what they are doing. We sailed to a beautiful bay at St. John where my husband could snorkel to his heart's content while I basked in the sunshine, watched the sea turtles in the water around us and listened to entertaining stories from Captain Max. Her experience as well as her warm disposition made this trip number one for us. We were served a beautiful and delicious lunch prepared by Captain Max herself. Emma was
amazing as 1st mate and we counted ourselves lucky that they had time in their schedule to accomodate us. We would do this again in a heartbeat and anyone traveling to St. Thomas should book this awesome day of sailing with Captain Max and Crew!

Thanks Captain Max and Emma!

ny
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 24 helpful votes
“Enjoyable day”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 30, 2013

Each time we come to St Thomas, we book a different charter. This time, we booked with Captain Max. Max had emailed me a number of times, so I knew to get to Red Hook and where to meet her. We boarded a small dinghy and went to the sailboat. Climbing into the sailboat wasn't too difficult but my spouse had difficulty at the end of the day climbing from the sailboat back into the dinghy. We had a family as our other sailmates. The scenery was great. Snorkling was fun and the gear onboard fit us perfectly. We saw turtles and lots of fish. There were unlimited beverages and lunch was fun. I only wish that there was some type of sweet (cookie, cake, etc...) afterwards. We didn't realize how sunburned we had gotten on our backs, until we were back on our ship. I was certainly glad that I had brought aloe...

Visited March 2013
1 Thank seg56
Fullerton, California
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Captain Max's newest fans”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 21, 2013

My husband and I sailed with Captain Max & her mate Emma last week. It was the best excursion of our cruise (and we had a couple of other really good ones!). Friendly service, great food, great snorkeling locations. Transportation to/from cruise ship pier was smooth. I highly recommend Captain Max to anybody visiting St Thomas!

Visited April 2013