“Great tapas, small portions”
Review of Havana Blue

Havana Blue
Ranked #13 of 267 Restaurants in St. Thomas
Good for: Local cuisine, Special occasions, Business meetings, Scenic view, Bar scene, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Our restaurant combines the warm, rustic culture and robust flavors of Latin America with the exotic spices and tangy sauces of the Pacific Rim. We also provide our guests with unmatched, ocean front views of tropical sunsets and enchanting cruise ships embarking out to the Caribbean Sea. Brace your senses as you prepare to indulge in aromas and flavors like never before. We have over 100 hand-selected premium and reserve wines.
Reviewed July 17, 2013

Great food but very small portions. I felt like I was eating a dish served on iron chef. Great views and the pain killas are awesome.

BlueWaterMG, Management at Havana Blue, responded to this reviewResponded July 19, 2013

We hope you weren't too surprised by the portions of our tapas plates. We suggest ordering several and sharing. It's great to hear that all of our flavors were on point! Next time you're on St. Thomas, stop by to enjoy the view and a Pain Killa or two.

There are newer reviews for Havana Blue

Reviewed July 16, 2013

The atmosphere transported us to Havana. The decor was perfect, the view over the ocean as the sun set was nearly indescribable, and the food was fantastic. The entire staff was lovely and welcoming and made the whole experience perfect.

BlueWaterMG, Management at Havana Blue, responded to this reviewResponded July 18, 2013

Thank you for the glowing review, Heather! We're delighted to hear you were more than impressed with your experience from start to finish. I'll be sure and pass along your compliments to our staff! I hope you'll think of us again, should you ever return to St. Thomas.

Reviewed July 16, 2013

We were reluctant to go to Havana Blue because many of the reviews said it was overpriced for small portions. I am glad I did not listen to those reviews, and our experience was the complete opposite. The restaurant itself is located the the end of the Marriott Morning Star Beach Resort, but is privately owned and operated. They say that reservations are required but when I called at the last minute that happily got me a table. Once seated, we were greeted by Brandon who would be taking care of us. He was very friendly, pointed out a few things on the menu, went over the specials, and then took our drink order. He was very knowledgeable about the menu, the wines, and the local fish in the area. He talked to us a little about the restaurant and the foods they served which was nice to know before ordering. Once we had our drinks we decided to order two appetizers. One was the ceviche special. It was fresh caught Mahi Mahi with red and green bell peppers, onions, and a blood orange vinagerette. The other was on a reccommendation from the server and they were the shrimp and lobster tostadas with bacon, fresh cheese, onion, cilantro, and spice. Both appetizers were excellent. The ceviche was fresh and had a great flavor with the blood orange. It came with fried plantains and yucca chips. The fish was in big chunks and you could tell they were not simply trying to get rid of the day old stuff. The tostadas were to die for. The lobster was tender and buttery and the combination of the other ingredients made the flavors really pop. Some of the best apps we have had in a while. For entree, we both got the mizo glazed sea bass with wasabi mashed potatoes and garlic spinach. The fish melted in your mouth and was a huge portion. The potatoes had just enough wasabi to not make it overbearing and the spinach was excellent as well. The real star of this dish though was the sea bass. It was oily and tender and the glaze didn’t overpower the taste of the fish. The best sea bass I have ever had. Just as a note to the small portions people....the portions were big enough that we did not need to have dessert, I did not think they were small at all. Overall we payed a little under 200 with tip, but it was well worth it for the quality of food we got.

1  Thank Ron S
BlueWaterMG, Management at Havana Blue, responded to this reviewResponded July 17, 2013

Ron, we're proud to hear that our Miso Glazed Sea Bass was the best you've ever tasted! We don't compromise on quality, so it's fantastic to hear that the freshness of our seafood really stood out. Thank you sincerely for your glowing review. If you're ever back on the island, we'd love for you to join us again — just be sure to save room for dessert!

Best,

Reviewed July 15, 2013

I just had the best dinner ever in St. Thomas! This is the first review that I have written and I am super picky. Havana Blue in St. Thomas compelled me to write a review because their food, service, and atmosphere inspired me. I was seated at a beautiful table overlooking the Atlantic Ocean. The restaurant has a beautiful atmosphere with candles lot everywhere and a very friendly but not overly obstrusive staff. My waiter Molly did an incredible job explaining the specials, brought everything just as I had ordered and made some fantastic drink and wine recommendations. Molly also gave me some incredible advice on other islands to go to and took the time to write down exactly where to go.
I had the Caesar de la casa which was unique and tasted wonderful. I also highly recommend the spicy seared tuna entree with wasabi mashed potatoes. The fish was fresh (even though it was a Monday) and the wasabi mash potatoes make a nice accent to the tuna. To end the meal was the outrageous chocolate decadence cake which takes about 10 minutes once you order but well worth the wait. I enjoyed listening to the sounds of the waves crash while I waited for the chocolate decadence cake. An amazing place and restaurant!!

We're flattered that you reserved your very first review for us! It sounds like Molly took fantastic care of you, and we hope you had a chance to check out some of her suggestions of things to do on the island. Here at HAVANA BLUE, we want each and every dish to shine, so we're glad that you were impressed with your meal from start to finish. Keep us in mind if you're ever back on St. Thomas — we'd love to see you again!

Reviewed July 15, 2013

We ate at the Havana Blue on our last night in St. Thomas and it was a great experience. The food was excellent. The combinations of different foods made for a unique and great evening of dining. The appetizers were fantastic - Latin Trio and the Tostados were phenomenal. I had the lobster and my wife had the Havana pollo. Both were excellent.

Dessert was outstanding.

I checked outdoor seating, the restaurant is actually open to the outdoors but can be enclosed if the weather is poor.

Drew was our server and he did an excellent job. He was attentive but not pushy.

Thanks for thinking of us for your farewell dinner! It's wonderful to hear that everything from our appetizers to dessert made for a meal to remember. We'll be sure to send your compliments along to Drew for you! If you have a chance to visit St. Thomas again, we'd love to welcome you back.