“A simple and honest review by a simple man ....”
Review of Havana Blue

Havana Blue
Reserve with OpenTable
Havana Blue is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #11 of 269 Restaurants in St. Thomas
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Scenic view, Bar scene, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Our restaurant combines the warm, rustic culture and robust flavors of Latin America with the exotic spices and tangy sauces of the Pacific Rim. We also provide our guests with unmatched, ocean front views of tropical sunsets and enchanting cruise ships embarking out to the Caribbean Sea. Brace your senses as you prepare to indulge in aromas and flavors like never before. We have over 100 hand-selected premium and reserve wines.
Richmond, Virginia
“A simple and honest review by a simple man ....”
Reviewed December 23, 2012

I'm a very loyal Marriott guest. I travel a lot with my job and enjoy the perks of points. So I've had the privilege of many points-based vacations with Marriott. This is our second time at Havana Blue. The last was in December 2010.

The first time was as much a novelty as much as anything. We enjoyed the atmosphere and the food was memorable, so much so, that we decided to go back again while on this vacation. Wishing I hadn't.

Havana Blue demands a high price for it's food, because of it's location, atmosphere, and supposedly it's food. When you peel back the onion and get down to what makes a restaurant, the food, Havana Blue is way overpriced for what we got.

i had the Miso Sea Bass, which is their most popular according to the menu and reviews. I had it last visit and was really excited to have it again. I was very disappointed. The portion size was greatly reduced since my last visit, and it was dry and overcooked. I mentioned to the server and she offered to get me another piece. But it took 25 minutes to get our food, so I couldn't wait that long.

I'm just a simple man with simple expectations. The food has to be great, especially when they demand a $38 price tag for a 2 inch round piece of fish. I expect that they know how to prepare their most popular dish each time. And since it was a small portion, it better be REALLY good.

The other family members in our party also had the same perception. "Wow, this is a really small portion ...." I think that was biggest difference from my first visit. Smaller portions of everything and increased menu price.

Again, I'm not a meal snob and have been really happy with most of Marriott's restaurants. I'm a simple man with the expectation of a good meal equivalent to the price tag. I'm just saying that Havana Blue changed since my December 2010 visit and is what I consider all hype but missing the mark on the food.

Hope this helps other folks like me, and look past the hype and look more at the value of their dollar for the food they are served.

• Visited December 2012
BlueWaterMG, Management at Havana Blue, responded to this review, January 4, 2013
Please accept our apologies that we didn't impress you as much on a second visit as we did on your first back in 2010. We hold ourselves to a very high standard here at HAVANA BLUE, and never want our guests to leave feeling like they didn't get their money's worth.

We feel that the 'hype' comes from consistently offering great food in a lovely atmosphere, and we're sorry to have disappointed you on that front. We'll always happily offer to replace anything that you don't completely enjoy, as we did for you, and it's unfortunate that time constraints prevented that from being possible.

It's truly our hope that you won't give up on us. We can and will live up to your expectations. We won't miss the mark again, and we apologize that we did on this visit.

Lawrenceburg IN
“OMY.... Oh My Yum”
Reviewed December 22, 2012

whether you make a meal of of just appetizers or eat a full entree this place is fantastic. It is on the second floor and all open air and only yards from the surf. Perfect place for a sunset and just below for after dinner drinks hit the Sand Bar

Visited December 2012
OMY - Now that's the kind of acronym we like to see! Thanks so much for visiting HAVANA BLUE to enjoy the spectacular views and cuisine. We want dining with us to be a complete experience, and it sounds like you enjoyed every bit of yours. Thanks for the kind words, and we hope to see you again next time.

Southport, Connecticut
“Excellent anniversary dinner”
Reviewed December 21, 2012

We saved the best for last during our stay in St. Thomas. Havana Blue offered everything - atmosphere, service (Joey was great), and excellent cuisine. We enjoyed the ceviche, filet minion, and sea bass. Desserts were phenomenal. We highly recommend Havana Blue?

• Visited December 2012
Robert,

Thanks for the fantastic recommendation. We're honored that you chose HAVANA BLUE for a lovely anniversary dinner. We'll make sure Joey knows his service was greatly appreciated too. Hopefully, this is the first of many celebrations for the two of you here with us in St. Thomas. Happy anniversary and thank you again for the kind review.

Toledo, Ohio
“best at Frenchmans reef”
Reviewed December 21, 2012

We were disappointed with the marriot dining food, the views are beautiful but food lacking. Havana Blue however was fantastic!! We went twice and the sand bar below is also a blast!!

Visited December 2012
Elizabeth,

We are thrilled that you decided to give HAVANA BLUE a try during your visit. Thank you for taking the time to write a great review, and, even more so, for naming us the best on Frenchman's Reef! We don't take that kind of compliment lightly. Come back and see us any time you're back in St. Thomas. We certainly look forward to seeing you again.

common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great waiter (Jason) best food by the Marriott”
Reviewed December 19, 2012

Stayed on island for 4 days. This was our last meal. It should have been our first. We would have eaten there every night for dinner! Not as expensive and better quality. Cool atmosphere
And Jason was soooo attentive and friendly.

We're glad you at least were able to stop in to HAVANA BLUE before you left! Thanks for taking the time to let us know about your great experience here, and we'll be sure to pass your kind words on to Jason. Now you know where to go for a great dinner out when you return to the islands, right? We'd love to see you again. Thanks for letting us know how we did!

All the best,