“OK, It's Not a Caribbean Restaurant” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Bella Blu

Bella Blu
Ranked #89 of 257 Restaurants in St. Thomas
Cuisines: Austrian, European
Good for: Local cuisine, Special occasions, Romantic, Business meetings, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
“OK, It's Not a Caribbean Restaurant”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 5, 2012

But It's only a short walk to the fresh fish market, and to the harbor at Charlotte Amalie. At the bar, you'll find locals mostly, a few tourists, and a raft of repeat customers who come for quality, consistency, and freshly-prepared traditional Euro-centric dishes served by experienced and accommodating servers.

I confess I get more than a fair share of Caribbean-influenced fare when I'm on island [maybe 3 times a year for the last 30]. So for me Bella Blu is a special treat: crispy, grease-free schnitzel sauced perfectly. I can get my salt cod and fungi elsewhere, but for a hearty lunch or dinner I'm at Bella Blu. Or at their next-door pizza place [Pie Whole] for the best hand-thrown pizza on the island -- and without a doubt the largest craft beer collection.

You can't say this about many restaurants on St. T -- but Bella Blu is actually better than home.

• Visited July 2012

St. Thomas
“"Yum"”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 3, 2012

Good food, good service. Best steak on Island in my opinion, drinks are well made. Service is quick & the staff is very attentive & accomodating. strongly recommend you try this lovely restaurant.

Visited August 2012
Annapolis, Maryland
“Nice Schnitzel but where was the Caribbean Flare?”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 30, 2012

I'm hesitant to even write this review considering all the super reviews for this restaurant, but I have to call it like I see it.

I found the menu confusing. Bella Blu markets itself as an Austrian restaurant, but the menu seemed more like a hodge podge of German, Greek, Italian, and American food. That's fine, it's just not what I was expecting. Their tagline is "Austrian Cuisine with a Caribbean Flare". I didn't see hardly anything on the menu of a Caribbean nature.

The garlic bread was tasty. For entree, I had the sun-dried tomato pesto with penne pasta. It was good, but it was not beyond anything I could get at a local chain.

On a better note, my husband had the schnitzel with Linzer sauce and he thoroughly enjoyed it. He said it was worth returning for. He would give Bella Blu a 3.5 rating if it were allowed.

Our waitress was courteous and helpful, especially with the wine. She was efficient without being overbearing.

For ambiance, I found the restaurant to be too dark. It was difficult to read the menu, and even getting a good look at the food wasn't the easiest.

Perhaps I simply ordered the wrong thing and that prevented me from experiencing the best the restaurant had to offer. But if it weren't for my husband dragging me back there for the schnitzel, I probably wouldn't return.

• Visited September 2012
Toronto ON
“great service, great food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 22, 2012

Had the pleasure of having lunch here. Excellent service, generous portions. The pasta was cooked perfectly. Had the mushroom cream linguini with chicken......delicious! Would return again in a heartbeat.

• Visited October 2012
St. Thomas
“The Wedding Reception of Andrea and Dexter”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 4, 2012

Slamming! Slamming! Slamming! I love this place. It is one of my favorite on St Thomas and I only have two favorites. We had our wedding reception here and was very very very happy. I love these guys! The service was excellent, the food even better. I got way more than I expected. I will hold all my parties here. Brian and Courtney and the rest who served us treated the entire group like royalty. I couldn't be happier.
I also come here for lunch often and for Saturday Brunch, which is slamming. You could not ask for more. The food is unforgettable. The ambiance is intimate, warm and beautiful. The staff is attentive.
This restaurant is one you should experience.

• Visited September 2012