“A must!”

Ranked #11 of 271 Restaurants in St. Thomas
Cuisines: Caribbean, Bar
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner
Description: Try authentic Creole Caribbean and Continental dishes at breakfast and lunch in a colonial warehouse in downtown Charlotte Amalie. Sample all three varieties of Gladys' world famous homemade Hot Sauce - it makes great gifts for your spicy-food-loving friends.
Reviewed March 5, 2013

World famous! And Gladys is always behind the bar entertaining customers! The food is very good and it's a great place to take a break while shopping at Charlotte Amalie. If you can't find it, just ask anyone! Everyone knows Gladys!

Write a ReviewReviews (1,852)

Reviewed March 3, 2013

Stopped in for lunch. Great food at reasonable prices. What more can you ask for? Great service, yup, they got that too.

Reviewed March 2, 2013

Stumbled across this place while walking around down town. Be daring and try the goat curry. You will not be disappointed. Service is at "island pace" but that's epidemic throughout St Thomas. Great whole fish dishes and who doesn't love fried plaintains.

Reviewed March 2, 2013

I was visiting with a friend, and this place was recommended for a quiet, place to sit and eat - away from the street hustle outside. It is cozy, extreemly friendly, making you feel like you'd been
there before. I didn't actually eat, but rather indulged in a couple of Bloody Mary's which were tasty, but I ended up putting some of their homemade hot sauce in it to give it some more spice.
They offer several varieties of the stuff, and I was given quite the "taste" of each. (I liked them all, but only bought one bottle.)
Even though I didn't eat, the food smelled wonderful and looked very appetizing. Gladys wasn't there, but the lady behind the counter is super nice and very entertaining. And she can SING! And boy does she! She made visiting there very worthwhile! I will return the next time I'm in Charlotte Amalie.

Reviewed March 2, 2013

We stumbled across this the first time, looking for lunch in a place that wasn't an overgrown bar. The lunch was so enjoyable that when we were in town again a few days later, we went back again so we could try more of the menu. The atmosphere was fun, with good music on the sound system and the waitresses -- and us -- singing along to some of the songs. I am not a huge hot sauce fan, although my wife sampled all of the bottles on the table and agreed they were hot, but the jerked pork chops were fabulous and the jerked chicken (whether entre or sandwich) was not far behind.

We had chips and guacamole and salsa for an appetizer on the second visit, and the chips were very interesting -- clearly home-made -- and delicious. My wife devoured the guacamole and we didn't leave any of the salsa behind, either. The only downside was we were too full for dessert after the meal. It also was clear they weren't stinting on the alcohol in our drinks, either.

I'm sure there are lots of great places in Charlotte Amalie, but if you want a break from shopping and need a nearby place to recharge, look here first. (It can be challenging to find, even if you pretty much know where you are going -- look for the signs at the head of the alley.)