“Friendly staff and tasty sandwiches with a million dollar view!”
Review of Bumpa's

Bumpa's
Ranked #48 of 266 Restaurants in St. Thomas
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast
Dining options: Breakfast
Reviewed July 19, 2013

Found this small, waterfront cafe through a local guide that said if he could afford to eat at Bumpa's everyday, he would! That was enough of a recommendation for us and we found that he was "spot on" with his recommendation. We all enjoyed the grilled turkey, avocado and swiss cheese sandwiches with homemade potato salad and iced teas. It was all freshly made to order, quick and the view was spectacular! The sandwiches were filling and delicious. The staff were a very nice mature couple with great people skills. They were kind enough to give us some information on one of the Full Moon parties on Tortola when they found out we were heading there for the week. While we were there a rain storm came through and they battened down the "hatches" while continuing to take orders from people coming in out of the rain without missing a beat. The smoothies looked wonderful but we were too full to even think about having one.
As for the prices~average for St. Thomas and with the added bonus of being freshly made. Top that off with a 2nd story view of the harbor and you just couldn't find that combo many places in St. Thomas right by the shopping district. I would definitely return here if given the opportunity.
On a side note: We witnessed two nice things while eating there. The first was their "comping" a local gentlemen with free food. It was obviously not the first time and it was done discreetly. The only reason we noticed was my daughter offered him a seat next to her as the place was full. Also, a woman came in after the breakfast hour and asked for them to make an exception for her family. They happily made this accommodation for her and last I saw they were plugging in the waffle iron.

Reviewed July 18, 2013

The people who work there are very nice. The value on the dollar does not get you much. Food did not have much taste. A grill cheese with one slice of cheese and two pieces of bread runs about $8.00.

Reviewed July 16, 2013

Enjoyed our smoothies and sandwiches here at Bumpa's for a lunch break while shopping. We each had a strawberry smoothie, and my son had a tasty Philly cheesesteak type sandwich and I had a smoked turkey. Prices were $6.50 for a smoothie and $14.50 for a sandwich (no chips included). Pricey to me, but eating out here is pricey overall here in St. Thomas.

Reviewed June 7, 2013

I visited Bumpa's based on a Lonely Planet recommendation about their pancakes, so I tried some for a second breakfast and agreed they were delicious. The couple behind the counter were also very friendly and made me feel welcome and at home. I was disappointed, however, with a couple of things: they didn't have wifi for their customers (something I've grown accustomed to breakfast joints), and they used throw-away tableware (plastic plates, forks, and knives; and styrofoam coffee cups) and single serve syrup cups instead of something a little more trash and island friendly*. I'm glad I went, but am not compelled to return.

* I realize that Bumpa's is a tiny place and likely doesn't have the time, staff, or space to be constantly washing dishes. This does add to its charm, but I still feel I had an average experience.

Reviewed May 31, 2013

This lunch spot is right in the middle of town facing the harbor. Look up; it is on the second floor. In a town that has a lot of higher-end eating places, here you get a good, fast lunch for a reasonable price. Urban deli-style. Order at the counter and eat at a table under an awning. Great for people watching whild you get a bite.