All reviewstucked awayrainbow beachnature soundsoff the beaten pathcell phoneexplore the islandgingerbutlervilladeckrainforestmilesbeachesleappropertysunsetcroix
Reviewed February 4, 2009

Northside was spectacular. My girlfriend and I spent a week there and couldn't have been happier. The grounds are so thick and lush with tropical foliage. We spent a day visiting the Botanical Gardens and found that the grounds at Northside were just as beautiful. We stayed in the Lucienda Villa and it was perfect. The view from the deck was gorgeous and we spent every breakfast there just drinking in that spectacular view. Ginger was wonderful and really helped to make our stay perfect. We learned that her father built all of the Villas on the estate. She told us that he was a big admirer of Frank Lloyd Wright and built all of the villas to blend and work with the surroundings. Meanwhile, Ginger's mother cared for the grounds. During that time, while many settlers to St. Croix were clearing out the tropical foliage and planting big lawns, Ginger's mom was preserving the lush natural beauty of the estate. Trust me, it shows.

We weren't sure what to expect with an "eco-lodge" but Northside was better than we could have ever imagined. It's certainly not a full service "resort" so if you need room service and crowded pool, this definitely isn't the place for you. On the other hand, if like me, you've always dreamed of the secluded tropical getaway with gorgeous surroundings and spectacular views, you can't beat this place.

We will definitely be back.

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
2  Thank taxlaw66
Reviewed February 2, 2009

I stayed with my mother at Northside Valley over the Christmas holiday. I can highly recommend the villas at this place:

1. The booking was very simple and friendly. They responded right away to my emails and ensured our booking with ease.

2. We were able to rent a car and drive to the location without too much difficulty.

3. Excellent location-- we traveled all around the island but still have to stay that Northside on the Northwest side of the island is my favorite location-- nice beaches, nice setting, quiet ---

4. The villa was spotless and provided a beautiful view off the deck-- very nicely decorated with all that we needed.

5. We were made to feel very comfortable.

Stayed: December 2008
1  Thank mdomoko
Reviewed August 6, 2008

Northside Valley is a very comfortable group of villas on a large property that makes it suitable for a family or group reunion site and wedding parties.

My group rented 7 of 8 villas with a total of 35 guests. The facilities offered privacy in each villa and a group gathering area. The owner was very accommodating with special requests and access to snorkel equipment, kayaks, cooking grills, and lawn chairs.

The villas are comfortable and fully screened. They don't have TV, phone, cell reception, or internet. Alleluia!! There are some Caribbean quirks - short showers, sparing use of water, for example. But also plenty of stars, night time frog singing and daytime bird chirping.

I certainly recommend this location for its privacy and opportunities for out of the way relaxation.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled with friends
2  Thank donstx
Reviewed January 23, 2008

For any outdoor/nature lover, this is the place to stay in St. Croix. The family that runs Northside makes you feel right at home on their property and is always a short walk away to answer any questions or to chat. We spent our days on the NV's coral beach, snorkeling and swimming, barely ever seeing anyone else. A short drive/walk away are several beaches and bars/grills that we visited often. We felt so welcome and safe there. The NV doesn't even compare to other resorts, its that different in such a good way. We would recommend it to anyone who wants a quiet getaway to the eco friendly lodge of lizards, tropical fruit, and laid back people.

• Stayed: December 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank appaloozas
Reviewed December 19, 2007

My husband and I enjoyed a lovely (and very affordable) week in Nita's Fancy, one of the little houses nestled on the quiet side of St Croix. Northside Valley is eco-friendly and natively landscaped... even the locked entrance gate is solar powered. We had our own cooking facilities (indoor stove/ outdoor grill), unlimited filtered water, choice of two comfy breezy bedrooms, and an indoor and outdoor shower. Best of all...we were MEDIA FREE!!!!

Our days were spent relaxing on the uncrowded beaches/ our nights were spent in the house or at our choice of great local restaurant. Sunset Grill's food is very yummy, and the grill at Rainbow beach was so friendly. They never made us feel like outsiders. They even returned the camera that I left there by mistake.

The waters were very warm and clear right off the beach, but for real die-hard snorklers like us, nothing beats Buck Island. We spent two entire days in the water there. It is worth every penny to get out there. We recommend taking one of the sailboats that leaves Green Cay Marina. It is well worth the drive to get there. We saw turtles, rays, tons of parrot fish, angel fish, hundreds of blue tang, puffer fish, a huge Carribean lobster, barracuda..... you name it. My husband even got to see a shark... don't worry though, the shark is harmless and swims away before anyone else can get a good look.

St Croix would have been even better had we been divers. There are shipwrecks and coral walls that you need to scuba to see. (There IS a way to go on a dive even if you are not certified and it is only about 60$. We decided to spend the money to get back to Buck Island instead. )

If you just want the beach and a great swimming areas, this would be a good choice no matter what. The only thing I would say as a warning is that you will want to be a fairly strong swimmer if you want to do a lot of SNORKLING. Since we love to snorkel, we were very glad NOT to have the kids with us.

Otherwise, Northside Valley and St Croix would be a GREAT place to bring the whole family or extended family or have a reunion because each house would fit parents and kids, and every individual family can have their own little house.

I highly recommend Northside Valley for those who DO NOT WANT the Sandals or Club Med experience. It is a great value especially off season!!!

• Stayed: October 2007, traveled as a couple