All reviews tucked away explore the island ginger deck nature rainforest miles beaches leap property croix lushness simplicity accommodations handful
Reviewed January 23, 2014

I spent a week a northside valley in January, 2014 -- a variety of comfortable villas set among beautiful natural surroundings with many flower and fruit trees and exotic plants -- wonderful stargazing -- located in a quiet area of st Croix -- near many gorgeous beaches for swimming and snorkeling and a variety of nearby restaurants -- perfect for a low-key, secluded vacation .... ginger, the owner, is extremely friendly and welcoming and knows all about the island, having grown up there ..

Room Tip: all the villas are comfortable and each has its own charm ...
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled solo
Reviewed October 9, 2013

The location has great potential. When you arrive after three flights and a full day of flying both Tina and Ginger greet you like old friends. They are genuinely nice people. The first thing you notice is the West End road from F'Std ... it is horrible ... 3 to 5 mph in most spots ... large areas washed away ... small vehicles will bottom out to the frame. Get a Jeep with high clearance and purchase extra insurance besides your own and use the roadside assistance option. The driveway into Northside is fine and not difficult to spot. I suspect we were the first visitors of this season. The grounds that appear to be groomed each year were being cleared during our first few days. Northside Valley info will call it a tropical rain forest ... NOPE ... it's a jungle. There is a canopy. Ginger cut a hole in a portion of the canopy to view the sunset from Shepherds Hut screened great room ... it's a religious experience.

The most important thing all potential clients need to know is that this is like living outdoors ... in a jungle. No glass windows ... just screens and they do have canopy netting over the beds ... use it ... trust me. If you have any history of allergic reactions to stings or pulmonary issues .... DON'T GO. Everything stays damp.

Water is supposedly heated by solar. We never got any hot water ... finally we asked Ginger ... it turns out there is a hot water heater to plug in ... to catch an occasional above ambient shower. But you have to ask ... FYI ... at Shepperds Hut it's in a outside closet ... easy to find.

Now for the beach. There isn't one. You walk down the driveway, cross the West End rd and then carefully climb down some stone stairs with a roped and poly tube hand rail ... it's really pretty cool. The shoreline is a mix of sand, shells and volcanic breakwater. It is difficult to enter and leave the sea. You really need to be an advanced sea/ocean swimmer ... Ginger is honest ... when she first takes you down to this location she will advise you ... if the sea swells swim East to Butler Bay ... it takes about 45 minutes.

On our first night Ginger gave us some honey in a small recycled baby jar ... absolutely delicious ... unfortunately TSA snagged it on the way out and someone else got to enjoy it !!! The second night Ginger delivered some Jungle Pumpkin soup with lentils ... get this ... in recycled plastic containers. To cool for sure.

Our third night, I became rather ill with respiratory prob's and had to get down out of the "The Jungle" .... We stayed 3 nights and paid for 7 .... no refund was offered or requested.

This place is best suited for young adventurous people.

Room Tip: The condition of West End rd is very bad ... big truck hauling rock all day long ... be careful.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 29, 2013

We just spent a lovely week at Northside Valley (April 2013). What a delight! The accommodations are comfortable, spacious, very private and peaceful! The lovely breeze on the hillside caresses you all the time in the very open and airy villa. The grounds have lots of interesting tropical plants and you feel like you are in the rainforest. Picked mangoes from the tree for a fresh fruit treat every morning, enjoyed a fresh coconut opened by our hostess and watched the papaya flower and ripen from our deck. The sunsets and night sky were spectacular. Nice beach with great tide pools and great snorkeling just a short walk across the road from our villa. We found an octopus in the tidal pools on our first night and were able to observe him every day! We also got to see something truly amazing - up close and personal - leatherback turtles nesting! What an awesome sight! The hostess was wonderfully helpful, knowledgeable and eco friendly. We really appreciated that! Great trip all around!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Rita G
Reviewed January 14, 2013

We recently returned from Northside Valley and cannot wait to go back next year during turtle nesting season! It was my husband (29), myself (28) and my mother (58, but acts like she's our age!). This was our second trip to St. Croix and our favorite place to stay by far. Ginger was an amazing host even prior to arriving between sending a map with places to see of interest to us marked, the many crazy emails from myself about little things, to making sure we had a blender for me to make smoothies so my vegan butt didn't starve. Ginger offered us tours of the grounds to identify flora and fauna, a tour of Monk's Bath her private beach across the way, and on the leaving she gave us a gift of her freshly processed honey, which my sister in law (a honey snob, I say that with love) says is the best honey she ever tasted! One of the guests even said she was going snorkeling with her the next day. Let's not forget her giving me some plants to help my strange arm rash. The other reviewers hit so well on the surroundings, I don't need to repeat it. Rent a Jeep, ask Ginger for help planning she's lived there her whole life, talk to the locals and enjoy paradise at Northside Valley.

Room Tip: Leah's Leap is beautiful!
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Mallory L
Reviewed January 9, 2013

We loved the Northvalley eco villas! My family consists of two teenage sons, my husband and myself. It was a perfect way to connect with eachother and enjoy beautiful St. Croix. The property was lush with fruit trees, geckos, birds, flowers, and tree frogs. No t.v., no cell phone service, it was paradise! Our villa was nestled in the palm trees, a beautiful breeze and a short walk to Monk's bath for seashells, fishing and sea glass. Our favorite beach was 3 miles away called Rhythms. It was perfect for snorkeling, entertainment, food, and kayaking. I hope to go back soon! The property owner Ginger, made us feel like family! Thank you for a wonderful time.

Room Tip: No pool, beach is close by, when at the beaches, don't leave valuables unattended.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family