All reviewstucked awayrainbow beachnature soundsoff the beaten pathcell phoneexplore the islandgingerbutlervilladeckrainforestmilesbeachesleappropertysunsetcroix
Reviewed January 14, 2013

We recently returned from Northside Valley and cannot wait to go back next year during turtle nesting season! It was my husband (29), myself (28) and my mother (58, but acts like she's our age!). This was our second trip to St. Croix and our favorite place to stay by far. Ginger was an amazing host even prior to arriving between sending a map with places to see of interest to us marked, the many crazy emails from myself about little things, to making sure we had a blender for me to make smoothies so my vegan butt didn't starve. Ginger offered us tours of the grounds to identify flora and fauna, a tour of Monk's Bath her private beach across the way, and on the leaving she gave us a gift of her freshly processed honey, which my sister in law (a honey snob, I say that with love) says is the best honey she ever tasted! One of the guests even said she was going snorkeling with her the next day. Let's not forget her giving me some plants to help my strange arm rash. The other reviewers hit so well on the surroundings, I don't need to repeat it. Rent a Jeep, ask Ginger for help planning she's lived there her whole life, talk to the locals and enjoy paradise at Northside Valley.

Room Tip: Leah's Leap is beautiful!
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Mallory L
Reviewed January 9, 2013

We loved the Northvalley eco villas! My family consists of two teenage sons, my husband and myself. It was a perfect way to connect with eachother and enjoy beautiful St. Croix. The property was lush with fruit trees, geckos, birds, flowers, and tree frogs. No t.v., no cell phone service, it was paradise! Our villa was nestled in the palm trees, a beautiful breeze and a short walk to Monk's bath for seashells, fishing and sea glass. Our favorite beach was 3 miles away called Rhythms. It was perfect for snorkeling, entertainment, food, and kayaking. I hope to go back soon! The property owner Ginger, made us feel like family! Thank you for a wonderful time.

Room Tip: No pool, beach is close by, when at the beaches, don't leave valuables unattended.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed November 29, 2012

I stayed here with my family of 5 the first week of June. Our children are 8, 7, and 6, and they absolutely loved it! Part of their days were spent in the rainforest looking for hermit crabs so they could have their own hermit crab race. Even though it is in the jungle and is eco-lodging, we were still a little surprised when we found a crab (not hermit crab) crawling across the bedroom floor. It was pretty neat! The night sounds lulled us to sleep every night, and we spent part of our day combing the grounds for coconuts and mangos to pick and eat. There weren't very many ripe yet, but we did find a couple. The owner was out of town, but the lady there watching over the grounds actually went and picked some for us and left us these along with a fruits book so we would know all the fruits we could look for. There are ants, but from talking with other people while we were out and about, nearly all the condos, houses, etc. have ants. We were given cornmeal to create barriers for the ants, and it actually worked :) We loved the fact that Northside is totally green. We loved St Croix so much, we actually began thinking about how we could move there. We will be back to visit St Croix in the future and we would stay here again. Communication with the owner was great. Ginger actually upgraded us to a larger villa because it was available during our stay :) Ginger was very apologetic that she wouldn't be in town during our visit, and I hate that we didn't get to meet because she is so nice and helpful. She sent us lots of information before our trip on places to visit. All we had to do was tell her the ages of our children and the types of things we enjoyed doing. She labeled it all on a map and provided brochures and phone numbers of the places. She was spot on with her suggestions. Thanks for making this vacation our family's most memorable ever. Our children still talk about our trip, Northside, and all the memories we made will last us a lifetime. The only thing that worries me is that any trip we take from here on out will never be able to compete :)

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed June 3, 2012

I went to Northside Valley with my two boys for spring break. Being from the city, it took us a day to adjust to the jungle, the dark nights, and the open air villas, but we soon found the jungle sounds and breezes to be so relaxing. We discovered a more relaxed pace. We were free from modern distractions of TV, phones, etc. We found we were able to bond and enjoy each other and go to the beach, drive around the island, find an interesting restaurant, go snorkeling -- whatever we were inspired to do at the time. The culture of the island was so different and interesting that we felt like we were exploring another part of the world rather than just a generic resort get-away. Driving on the left side of the road was exciting too. Check it out if you want something relaxing and different from the typical vacation resort.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed April 28, 2012

Two couples enjoyed a week at Northside Valley. We rented one house- Nina's Fancy. It was a very pleasant stay. Be prepared for some bugs since you are in the rain forest and it is an eco-lodge. The bugs just came in with us frequently. It is not fancy but very enjoyable. We loved the outdoor shower. The tidal pools and Butler Bay are within walking distance. The rooms are not fancy. We cooked breakfast each day and a couple of evening meals. The road to it is challenging. We would stay there again

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family