All reviewstucked awayrainbow beachnature soundsoff the beaten pathcell phoneexplore the islandgingerbutlervilladeckrainforestmilesbeachesleappropertysunsetcroix
Reviewed September 20, 2011

In the last 12 years, I have been back to St. Croix 10 times, staying at Northside Valley each time. I have not traveled all over the world, but I have been to Europe, Canada and all over the US. St. Croix speaks to me in some soft and gentle way like no other place, and I think that is more true when I am on the grounds of Northside Valley. Being in a dense rainforest with views of the Carribean is a beautful experience, but for me, knowing that I walk gently on the earth on a vacation makes me feel good. All of the villas have their own charm, so any one can fit your fancy. Close your eyes and think paradise in a jungle and see how that feels. If it feels good, Northside Valley is the place for you. The true nature of the island reveals itself when you come in the gate and also when you hear the sounds and see the simplicity of the villas. I am always reminded of what it takes to carve out a paradise in the jungle when I see the vegetation bounce back after a rainfall-sheer beauty. Read the other reviews for good tips on how to make your stay even more enjoyable. I will simply delight in the memories and hope you will too!

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank MLH60
Reviewed August 22, 2011

There is great potential here. However the upkeep has not been done. We were prepared for rustic and close to nature. We were not however prepared for very overgrown drives, patios, and decks. It was impossible to see the sign for Northside when standing 20 feet from it. I do believe the bugs wouldn't have been such a problem if the trees and brush were cut back even two feet from the cottage and patio. And by bugs I am not referring to the expected mostiqutos and such I referring to the 4 to 6 inch long roaches on the kitchen walls and floors. We made it through the first night, but only because we had let the cab leave and had made arrangements to pick up our jeep the following day. The caretaker was very friendly but not much care is being taken.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Suzie S
Reviewed June 11, 2011

I have stayed with the Northside people a few times and I will continue to. You can use a flashlight or just let your eyes get accustomed to the darkness and you will soon see the night time beauty of the Island! It is a Biology camp 24/7, it can also be the most relaxing place on earth. One more thing for a natural whirlpool experience walk down to "Munks Tubs" and relax like the 18th century monks did. Missionary work the hard way! I suggest staying in the "Ginger Thomes" Villa. The view is gorgeous!

Room Tip: All the villas are comfortable.
  • Stayed: December 2010, traveled as a couple
3  Thank cwcc
Reviewed March 19, 2011

I stayed at Northside Valley for the 13th anual aquaponics course at UVI. It was really affordable and Ginger (the owner) was awesome. It's great because you get to hang out with other people at Northside, and I ended up doing a bunch of cool stuff together with them. This was not a typical hotel. It has a definite rainforest/eco-frienndly vibe that helped change my perspective about resource conservation.

I'd definatley say rent an SUV because roads in St. Croix aren't very well kept.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank 123321123abcv
Reviewed March 17, 2011

If you want a cushy hotel with air conditioning, HDTV flat screens, and high speed internet connection, this is not the place for you. If you care about the environment, love to hear jungle noises at night, want to be away from the malls and closer to the land, this is the place for you. Ginger is doing amazing work in keeping these villas as sustainable as possible. She collects rain water, uses cisterns and solar water heating systems, composts, takes care of the beautiful trees and jungle that help shade and cool the houses, recycles, and much more. And you, the traveler, get to live and breathe the clean soft air of northwest St Croix, visit the incredibly beautiful beaches, eat delicious local food (check out the farmer's market), visit mountain organic farms (go to Virgin Islands Farm Institute), kayak, snorkel, sleep - all with the knowledge that while you are having a blissful time you are also not destroying the ecosystem. This place is far more comfortable and private than some other eco cottages on other islands in the Caribbean which are far too close together to feel privacy.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled with family