“Totally terrible”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Frederiksted
Caguas, Puerto Rico
“Totally terrible”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 25, 2008

I was really disappointed with the Frederiksted Hotel because my husband and I took this trip to celebrate our 5 year wedding anniversary, however there was no real hot water in the shower, the pressure of it was zero and the tub clogged constantly. To say something nice about it, the breakfasts were okay. I had pancakes and my husband eggs. The refrigerator in my room was in excellent conditions and so was the air conditioner. However for that amount of money I expected so much more, at least a clean bathroom with hot running water (I saw a small cockroach on the sink). Well, I am sure for more than $100 a room you can find a better deal someplace else.

Aurora
Caguas, Puerto Rico

• Liked — The view to the ocean and pier. I could see the sunsets.
  • Disliked — The bathroom. No running hot water.
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
3 Thank nicosebas
Joachim V, Manager at The Inn on Strand Street, responded to this review, February 20, 2012
We are sorry that your stay turned out this way.
To our defense I must say, that things have changed since you was here. At the time there was several rebuildings at the hotel and that might have caused some of the trouble. Waterpressure and clogs are working fine today and several improvements have been made to the rooms and surroundings of the hotel since then.
/Management

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 10, 2007

I stayed two weeks at this hotel. It is clean with a nice pool and a great breakfast. If your goal is to be downtown and see the water front, this is a fine place to stay. Nearby restaurants offer Crucian and American fine cuisines. I especially reccommend the Blue Moon.

Stayed February 2007
2 Thank fenarg
A TripAdvisor Member
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 28, 2004

I stayed at the Fredriksted for just under 2-weeks as a business traveler. I had not seen the physical hotel except via the pictures posted on the web. What the web showed and what the actual hotel looked like were not even close. The rooms were small, dank and poorly furnished. The hotel is located in an isolated part of the island making trips to any place worth going quite an ordeal. There was a microwave and a small refrigerator which was nice, but there was no coffee pot. As a traveler having coffee in the room is an understood. The restaurant in the courtyard is good, but the staff is at best rude and makes the guest feel they are an inconvenience.

The hotel is located near very pretty beaches that are great for snorkeling, but it is not a nice hotel and if you are expecting anything but a place to sleep don't stay there. Oh, and don't come with wrinkled clothes. They only have one iron and board which as I found out must be shared with all the rooms.

14 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Joachim V, General Manager at The Inn on Strand Street, responded to this review, March 7, 2012
The hotel has changed owner several times since you were there. We hope that you will come back and see the changes that have been made since then. The newst reviews are more accurate we think.
/Management

Travelers are raving about these Frederiksted hotels

Belleville, MI
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 8, 2004

Stayed last week in the Frederiksted Hotel and it was not quite what I thought it would be. The room had curtains that had so many wholes in them that in the morning you thought you were looking at the constellation. The bedspread was worn with holes. The bed gave new meaning to the word firm. The shower was dirty though the rest of the place was clean. It had a microwave and refrigerator which was a plus. We snorkeled off of the "beach" which was it's only saving grace. (We seen octopus, many types of coral, starfish, and several other things we had not seen on our other snorkel trips. ) All in all I would say if you only care about a place to lay your head---the Fredriksted Hotel is okay but if you are looking for quality say that of a Holiday Inn or Red Roof Inn--look elsewhere. This will not be the place for you.

13 Thank cheryl m
Also consider these accommodations in or near Frederiksted
Hotel on the Cay
The Buccaneer St Croix
#1 of 14 in Christiansted
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,341 reviews
Renaissance St. Croix Carambola Beach Resort & Spa

Been to The Inn on Strand Street? Share your experiences!