“An Ideal Setting”

Ranked #1 of 3 Frederiksted B&B and Inns
Royal Palm Beach, Florida
“An Ideal Setting”
Reviewed April 17, 2013

This was our first visit to the Cottages. We were impressed from the outset. Rooms were all comfortable and well appointed. The grounds have tons of character and flair, and they appealed to my kids as much or more than they did to my wife and me. I was happily surprised at the proximity to the water, with great sunbathing and snorkeling literally feet away from the doorstep. The staff was friendly and helpful. All told, this is now a family favorite.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank BEN R

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (86)
Te Anau, New Zealand
Reviewed April 12, 2013

You will be more than pleasantly surprised when you arrive at the Cottages by the Sea. The units are actual cottages, right on the sandy beach, where you can go swimming and snorkling to your heart's content. Walkable distance to Frederiksted, but I would advise a rental car to enjoy all the sights of St. Croix.

The rooms couldn't be more nicely decorated, with fully equipped kitchen. The staff is wonderful. Play Bachi Ball on the lawn overlooking the sea. Free Wi-Fi, at this intimate location, with a restaurant right next door if you just want to take it easy and not get in any car, or raise a hand at cooking.

The sunset from the lanais and lawn chairs on the sand will make you wonder how you ever thought any other place for a sunset was acceptable.

Book way ahead as there are long timers here who come every year - it is that wonderful.

Room Tip: Ask for a room where you can sit just outside your door and watch the sunset.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank elena m
Louisville, Tennessee
Reviewed April 11, 2013

It is great place to relax and enjoy the beach. You can walk out of your room and lay on the best beach on the island. The owners make you feel welcome and we even got a free bottle of Rum waiting for us in the room. We stayed in the Charthouse and loved the view. I believe it has the best view of the water. The kitchen is fully stocked and they have plenty of grills for you to use. Carman was our maid for the week and she was great. I do suggest that if you plan on doing anything more than laying on the beach, rent a car.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank dhill0125
Portland, Maine
Reviewed April 8, 2013

Sit back and relax while the sun sets into the ocean right in front of you at Cottages by the Sea. Enjoy living on the beach - literally only steps away from the water's edge. Comfortable and quiet cottages for everyone. Getaway from busy city noises and take long walks on the beach. This is our favorite Caribbean location! Going again in 2013 for 12 days. Everyone is very friendly and helpful. Great accommodations and plenty of outdoor spaces for cooking and lounging. Life is good!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
4 Thank MaineDayTripTours
Frederick, Maryland
Reviewed March 25, 2013

I've read several reviews of Cottages by the Sea and agree with most everything said by others. My wife and I have stayed there for 8-10 days six years in a row. This year, we missed out because of scheduling but plan to be back next year.

Cottages is right on the water in a relatively quiet area of St. Croix. The staff is absolutely the best in the world in terms of making accomodations for changes in travel, providing tips of what to see and do on the Island, and generally making the guests feel like family. Once you stay here, you will understand why they have so many return visitors - some for 20+ years.
Each of the cottages has a small kitchen so that you can fix many of your own meals. There are also gas grills available and a large pavillion for parties. This makes great sense because the wait time at most restaurants on the island exceeds my patience levels when I'm hungry.

The place is very clean with maid service from long-term staff. If you need anything not in the cottage, ask and they will bring it to you.

Cottages is also more "low-key" than many resort hotels. This might be disappointing to those who like to stay at all-inclusive retreats, want to be waited on, or are otherwise high-maintenence folks (yes, we have all seen these folks on our vacations!).

Bocci is played in the year at 4 each afternoon and most visitors assemble on the beach to watch the sun set while eating snacks. They have a selection of books if you are a reader and there is an interesting mix of visitors mostly from the US and Denmark.

Room Tip: Rooms on the water have better views, but you get more foot traffic walking by. All rooms have AC i...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank 2005-travel-lover
Lees Summit, Missouri, United States
Reviewed March 19, 2013

My husband and I stayed in September of 2012. It was a great place to relax, play and experience the island! Turtles restaurant is right up the road and they offer a fantastic menu, and further up the road is Paul and Jill's Horseback Riding which offer very nice trail rides through the rainforest and out onto the beach. They cater to beginnings and experts alike! Our cottage was cleaned regularly and well, the staff was very friendly and the beach was superb (I got a fantastic tan... my husband, being Irish, got pretty burned... USE your sunscreen!). If you're interested in snorkeling, or haven't tried it before, they have free equipment for your use. There are small reefs not far off shore that's perfect practice for the beginner snorkeler.

Room Tip: I don't believe there's a bad room in the place, but we didn't get the cottage we origin...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Kaycie B
Chicago, IL
Reviewed March 15, 2013

My husband and I stayed at the Cottages by the Sea in January 2013. We reserved the Charthouse and stayed for 4 days. The cottage was literally steps away from the beach. The Charthouse had 1 king size bed and 1 twin size bed. It would be a great size room for a family of 4. The room also had an oven, refrigerator, and was fully stocked with plates, cups, and pots and pans.

The beach at Cottages by the Sea was beautiful. The waters were calm and clear and there was decent snorkeling. And let me tell you, there is nothing better then falling asleep to the sound of waves crashing against the shore.

The hotel management was very friendly and helpful. They provided free use of old snorkeling/swim equipment and have 2 or 3 bicycles for use (beach cruisers that are not in the best condition) but since there is no cost to use them, I won't complain.

The hotel is walking distance to the downtown area. My husband and I would walk into town every day for lunch (Polly's at the Pier). In the evenings, we would take the car into town for dinner since the roads were not well lit, or we would cook in our cottage and eat dinner on our patio while watching the sunset. There is also a hotel next door with a very good restaurant that serves dinner for those lazy days when you don't want to venture too far from the hotel grounds for dinner.

The only negative was an experience we had with the cleaning woman. She didn't clean our room one day which left us w/o clean towels and an unmade bed. I also noticed some dirt on the floor (broken glass near the air conditioning unit) that was there when we checked in and remained there until we checked out 4 days later indicating to me the cleaning staff is not paying attention to detail.

Overall, I would recommend Cottages by the Sea to anyone looking to stay in Frederiksted. Its a great location, has a beautiful beach, and is in a good proximity to downtown Frederiksted.

Room Tip: Some of the rooms are small and further from the beach. The Charthouse is right on the beach.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank PNB1000
Also consider these accommodations in or near Frederiksted
Hotel on the Cay
#1 of 14 in Christiansted
Sand Castle on the Beach
Sand Castle on the Beach
#2 of 3 in Frederiksted

Been to Cottages By The Sea? Share your experiences!