“best on the island”

Cottages By The Sea
Ranked #1 of 3 Frederiksted B&B and Inns
Reviewed March 25, 2013

I've read several reviews of Cottages by the Sea and agree with most everything said by others. My wife and I have stayed there for 8-10 days six years in a row. This year, we missed out because of scheduling but plan to be back next year.

Cottages is right on the water in a relatively quiet area of St. Croix. The staff is absolutely the best in the world in terms of making accomodations for changes in travel, providing tips of what to see and do on the Island, and generally making the guests feel like family. Once you stay here, you will understand why they have so many return visitors - some for 20+ years.
Each of the cottages has a small kitchen so that you can fix many of your own meals. There are also gas grills available and a large pavillion for parties. This makes great sense because the wait time at most restaurants on the island exceeds my patience levels when I'm hungry.

The place is very clean with maid service from long-term staff. If you need anything not in the cottage, ask and they will bring it to you.

Cottages is also more "low-key" than many resort hotels. This might be disappointing to those who like to stay at all-inclusive retreats, want to be waited on, or are otherwise high-maintenence folks (yes, we have all seen these folks on our vacations!).

Bocci is played in the year at 4 each afternoon and most visitors assemble on the beach to watch the sun set while eating snacks. They have a selection of books if you are a reader and there is an interesting mix of visitors mostly from the US and Denmark.

Room Tip: Rooms on the water have better views, but you get more foot traffic walking by. All rooms have AC i...
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank 2005-travel-lover

Reviewed March 19, 2013

My husband and I stayed in September of 2012. It was a great place to relax, play and experience the island! Turtles restaurant is right up the road and they offer a fantastic menu, and further up the road is Paul and Jill's Horseback Riding which offer very nice trail rides through the rainforest and out onto the beach. They cater to beginnings and experts alike! Our cottage was cleaned regularly and well, the staff was very friendly and the beach was superb (I got a fantastic tan... my husband, being Irish, got pretty burned... USE your sunscreen!). If you're interested in snorkeling, or haven't tried it before, they have free equipment for your use. There are small reefs not far off shore that's perfect practice for the beginner snorkeler.

Room Tip: I don't believe there's a bad room in the place, but we didn't get the cottage we origin...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Kaycie B
Reviewed March 15, 2013

My husband and I stayed at the Cottages by the Sea in January 2013. We reserved the Charthouse and stayed for 4 days. The cottage was literally steps away from the beach. The Charthouse had 1 king size bed and 1 twin size bed. It would be a great size room for a family of 4. The room also had an oven, refrigerator, and was fully stocked with plates, cups, and pots and pans.

The beach at Cottages by the Sea was beautiful. The waters were calm and clear and there was decent snorkeling. And let me tell you, there is nothing better then falling asleep to the sound of waves crashing against the shore.

The hotel management was very friendly and helpful. They provided free use of old snorkeling/swim equipment and have 2 or 3 bicycles for use (beach cruisers that are not in the best condition) but since there is no cost to use them, I won't complain.

The hotel is walking distance to the downtown area. My husband and I would walk into town every day for lunch (Polly's at the Pier). In the evenings, we would take the car into town for dinner since the roads were not well lit, or we would cook in our cottage and eat dinner on our patio while watching the sunset. There is also a hotel next door with a very good restaurant that serves dinner for those lazy days when you don't want to venture too far from the hotel grounds for dinner.

The only negative was an experience we had with the cleaning woman. She didn't clean our room one day which left us w/o clean towels and an unmade bed. I also noticed some dirt on the floor (broken glass near the air conditioning unit) that was there when we checked in and remained there until we checked out 4 days later indicating to me the cleaning staff is not paying attention to detail.

Overall, I would recommend Cottages by the Sea to anyone looking to stay in Frederiksted. Its a great location, has a beautiful beach, and is in a good proximity to downtown Frederiksted.

Room Tip: Some of the rooms are small and further from the beach. The Charthouse is right on the beach.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank PNB1000
Reviewed March 14, 2013

We just returned from our first visit to Cottages by the Sea and we can't wait to go back! There is nothing to do at Cottages but relax and that's exactly the way we liked it. We stayed in Coconut and it was perfect for us. It was clean and the bed was very comfortable. Our patio was great to sit and look at the view. The ocean was calm and we could sit in there all day. Plenty of beach chairs, umbrellas and shade. The other guests were very friendly and I can't say enough about the staff. Paul and the others were so nice and wanted very much for us to enjoy our stay. The kitchen in our unit and the grills onsite were very helpful as we were able to cook our own food to accommodate my husband's special diet. If you are looking for a relaxing vacation with no stress, Cottages by the Sea is for you.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Nancy W
Reviewed March 9, 2013

We arrived several hours later than expected, picked up the rental car from a field in the dark and were certain there would be no dinner that night. This less than ideal start was quickly dispelled upon arrival at our cottage, Castaway. The room was lovely, with an ample closet, new furnishings and perfectly cleaned. Also the bottle of rum waiting for us was a nice touch, and I don't drink liquor. Castaway and Carol have even remodeled. They are not on the beach, but very close. Barking dogs at night can be an issue, though I have found this to be ubiquitous to the Caribbean. The restaurant at Sandcastle next door is lovely. The staff at Cottages are very nice, even letting us take beach chairs for the day to explore other snorkeling locations on St. Croix. The snorkeling at Cottages (Dorst beach) is fair (not good as it is sometimes rated). There are turtles and some coral on a front end loader that was moved about 100 feet offshore. The tide pools to the left are fun to explore too.

Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 7, 2013

My boyfriend and I just returned from our first trip to St Croix. We chose Cottages by the Sea due to the great reviews on here. It was everything we had hoped for! Adorable little cottages literally right on the beach! We stayed in the Carnival room, and would definitely chose this unit again. It is a standalone cottage, which we prefered as opposed to having a neighbor above us or directly next to us. As mentioned in another post, the cottages are all close together, but we didnt have any issues with noise. The view from our window was directly of the ocean. I was woken up three times the first night by the sounds of the waves crashing. How awesome is that?! This was the most relaxing, idyllic vacation. If you arent looking for a high-end, 5 star resort, but enjoy a laid back island feel, then this is the place for you! My boyfriend and I have only been back for 5 days, and can't wait to return to Cottages by the Sea!

Oh, and they have the sweetest dog, Banshee, on the premises. For those travelers missing their pups at home, you can find Banshee lounging quietly by the front desk. She likes a good petting! :-)

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 16, 2013

The cottages were just that, cottages, older but clean. They are right on the beach which was very nice. We first had Sylvia's room and it is small, really small. We actually stayed in Chocolate which was bigger and nicer. The staff was nice and Paul was very accomodating. Unfortunately, the cottages were not what we were looking for. It was a bit busier than we wanted - the cottages are all right together and people were all over. On the weekend it was especially busy and very noisy. I wonder what it is like on the days the cruise ships come in. But the people we talked with were repeat customers and very happy. If you are looking for a place right on he beach at a reasonable cost and don't mind the busyness, this might be the place for you. We prefer more seclusion.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Jack J
Also consider these accommodations in or near Frederiksted
Hotel on the Cay
Sand Castle on the Beach
Sand Castle on the Beach
#2 of 3 in Frederiksted
Renaissance St. Croix Carambola Beach Resort & Spa

Been to Cottages By The Sea? Share your experiences!