My wife and I stayed in the Chart House, which we were told was and appeared to be the nicest cottage on the property, for 4 nights starting November 26. It was larger with a kitchen and nice big tiled shower. We were in St. Croix 9 years ago with a tour group and stayed at a large resort but we much prefer a smaller, family-owned accomodation. We had a rental jeep so we could go wherever we wanted and knew that many of the places we wanted to go were towards the other end of the island in Christiansted or further east, but I enjoy the caribbean driving style and driving added to my enjoyment of the vacation. Although driving is on the left side of the road, for a caribbean island St. Croix is not too difficult to maneuver, but we never found a map with all of the road numbers correct.
The cottages are very unpretentious but clean and have all the necessities to make the stay comfortable, including a refrigerator which we use to cool drinks and a kitchen, which we don't use. The staff was very friendly and offerred a late checkout on our last day, which we took advantage of because of our late flight. The other guests all seemed very friendly and everybody was obviously having a very good time. The cottages are all designed with many windows and the flow-through ventilation with open windows feels much better than air conditioning, which is available.
We usually spend very little time in our rooms, but the entire property seems to have an atmosphere of peace and relaxation and we spent more time than we usually do just hanging around our private shaded patio and using the chairs on the beach. Cottages by the Sea does have a very nice beach of its own and you can walk the beach all the way into Fredericksted in about 10 minutes each way.
My only suggestion to improve the Chart House cottage would be to remove the chain link fence along the beach in front of the patio so guests could access the beach from the patio and not have to look through a fence at the ocean. Carbbean islands and St. Croix in particular seem to have everything surrounded with high fences, closed gates, and barred windows. This may be a fallback to the era when wars were a threat and security was a problem, but we always felt safe and nothing threatening ever caused us any concern, and we explore backroads and mountaintop trails few tourists seldom venture on.
Fredericksted has a very limited number of restaurants and appears to close up completely at night, but a simple breakfast a Pollys and sandwiches at Turtles Deli or dinner at Turtles After Dark are all good. Don't be afraid to go in small local groceries to get bottles of pop or other snacks. The people are all friendly.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Established in 1949, Cottages by the Sea is a family owned and operated, beachfront, boutique hotel, located just south of the town of Frederiksted on the island of St. Croix in the US Virgin Islands. Our goal is to provide our guests with a quiet, friendly, relaxed, truly authentic Caribbean beach vacation. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com and Hotels.com so you can book your Cottages By The Sea reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Cottages By The Sea Hotel Frederiksted
- Cottages By The Sea St. Croix/Frederiksted