“A Week in Paradise”

Ranked #2 of 3 Frederiksted B&B and Inns
saint louis
“A Week in Paradise”
Reviewed April 7, 2007

I have recently finished booking my reservation for my second stay at Sand Castle on the Beach, Me and my partner were guests for a week June 06 and had the most enjoyable vacation possible. I agree with the other reviews not a busy part of the island but isn't that what you are looking for on vacation? Lots of Sun, Fun, Relaxation, Peace and Quiet, (except for Sunday, go out and embrace the St. Croix culture with all the locales at the beach next door), get up early and watch the young boys take their horses for a swim in the sea, Great Food, Excellent Service by the entire staff. We met some wonderful people who will continue a friendship for life beginning at Sand Castle. We cannot wait to snorkel off your beach, take the divi sailboat you graciously planned for us to Buck Island, spend a day or two shopping and exploring the island and I will spend the rest of my stay at the most relaxed, no attitude hotel ever..................Sand Castle on the Beach, I've been to Paris, I've been to Nice, but Sand Castle is pure paradise.

• Liked — service
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed June 2006, traveled as a couple
3 Thank jacksonSaintLouis

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (80)
Maine
Reviewed March 22, 2007

Sand Castle on the Beach is located on the Western side of St. Croix, just outside of Fredericksted. The patio of the hotel leads directly to a beautiful beach. The patio is well equiped with summer furniture; there is a bar, and an excellent restaurant. The clientelle is middle-aged, many of whom are gay or lesbian. The service is competent. The rooms are average, but they are kept clean. Each (or most) rooms have a veranda. It is recommended to rent a car or rely heavily on taxis or the local bus system. This is a great place to enjoy the Caribbean, read, relax, and rejuvinate.

• Liked — The Beach
  • Disliked — Transportation
  • Stayed November 2006, traveled solo
New York, NY
Reviewed February 28, 2007

This was my first time to St. Croix, and I couldn't have picked a better place to stay. Since it was on the opposite side of the main city, Christiansted, make sure you rent a car. I only decided at the last minute to rent, and am I glad I did!

Unfortunately, Fredericksted is very unpopulated - so much that there really isn't anything to do except leave and see other parts of the island, which is worth every second.

The hotel is great - a bit pricey for what you get. Make sure you clean up all crumbs! I had tiny ants that marched in like an army towards the smallest crumb.

Also, plan to LEAVE the hotel on Sundays. The public beach next door to Sandcastle is extremely loud with locals, music and carrying-on. It was the LAST place I wanted to be when on vacation. Being a public area, Sandcastle management said they are working on the issue, but can't do anything about it. Just make sure you plan to be away from the hotel on Sundays until about 7pm.

Otherwise, I made some great friends, and overall, my stay in St. Croix was spectacular.

Stayed February 2007
4 Thank crcichy
Virginia, USA
Reviewed January 23, 2007

My husband, I and our 9 month old son just got back from the beautiful 3 nights stay at the Sand Castle on the Beach in St. Croix. We stayed in the brand new mini villa #303 - an awsome accommodations for 2, recommended to anyone. A lot of privacy, space and a great view (it is an ocean front unit) made our stay the memorable one. The place is spotless, the food is great and the location is unbeatable, if you are, like us, not a fan of mega-resorts. Breakfast was included in the rate, hotel provided beach towels and overall Sand Castle on the Beach met and exceeded our expectations. Thank you, staff!

• Liked — Privacy
  • Disliked — N/A
  • Stayed January 2007, traveled with family
6 Thank olgakyzyma
Sacramento, California
Reviewed November 1, 2006

My partner and I stayed at the Sand Castle for a long weekend at the beginning of October. This was our first visit to St Croix but our 4th to the virgin islands. We were sooo excited to find a gay and lesbian hotel. The visit both exceeded our expectations and disappointed us at the same time so I'm giving them 3 stars as an average.

I had heard that Sand Castle's restaurant is fabulous. Unfortunately, we were disapointed to learn upon our arrival that the restaurant was closed for vacation for a month during our visit. If you're traveling during the offseason (late summer-early fall) I strongly reccomend you specifically ask if the restaurant will be open when making reservations. There are very few dining options in Fredericstead, especially during the offseason. Walking into town or paying for taxis to travel to one of the handful of restaurants on this side of the island was irritating and expensive. Also, the staff weren't familliar w/ restaurants and couldn't offer reccomendations b/c "I usually just eat here." So I wish we would have done more research on possible dining options b4 arriving.

Sand Castle on the Beach is a small hotel on the more residential side of the island. The hotel location is beautiful in a minimally develped area on a lovely beach with a view of the pier. North of the property is a large public beach/park. This means a fabulous unbroken line of natural beach between the hotel and Fredericstead. Unfortunately, it also meant lots of loud beach parties (complete with a dj and sound system) on the weekend we were there. Sand Castle is a 15 walk to town.

Since we were there during the off season, super nice Irma upgraded us from the cheapest studio room to a studio w/ a balcony at the front of the building. We never used the balcony except to dry clothes b/c it looked out to a construction site. I had a chance to check out some of the other rooms and there is definitely a huge range in sizes. One suite was at least 3 times the size of our room. Our room was small, but fine. There were lots of kitchen utensils--anything you might need. One downside, there were lots and lots of tiny ants everywhere (bathroom, bedroom, kitchen area). We ended up storing our trash in the fridge to discourage them.

I agree w/ the earlier reviewer who said the outside rooms are nosiy. The traffic was very loud and noticeable all day and all night. We're city girls, so that was actually not a big deal for us but if you want a quieter environment make sure to ask for an inside or beachside room.

Overall, I really liked Sand Castle on the Beach. It's a small but beautiful little hotel. I know they call themselves a resort but I think that's pushing it a bit. All the staff were very friendly and generally helpful. The pool was great, the beach was pretty and it's a great place to do nothing for a few days. I think it's a somewhat overpriced but that happens a lot w/ gay places who have no competition.

• Stayed October 2006, traveled as a couple
10 Thank piegirl
new york
Reviewed August 10, 2006

This is the perfect vacation spot for Gay/Lesbian travelers. The property is a little piece of heaven with a gorgeous beach, pool, delicious restaurant (best we had on the island), and a friendly staff. The only downside to the hotel is it's location--near Frederickstead which is a rather sleepy town (crime/poverty). The rooms are clean and comfortable and there are several choices to pick from. All are steps from the beach and pool. Sand Castle is the perfect place to relax, but if you are looking for night life--this is not the place for you. It would have been nice if the outside pool bar had been functional and a happy or social hour for guests to mingle would have been a nice event. But these are just suggestions....the overall experience was wonderful.

• Liked — Proximity to Beach
  • Disliked — Bars on the balcony
  • Tips/Secrets — Book your own trip to Book Island--but definitely do it
  • Stayed July 2006, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank cymarion
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed June 22, 2006

Sand Castle on The Beach is a haven, a sanctuary from a world that is far too busy, far too straight and far too focused on things that seem important but are not. Being there is so re-juvenating. This was our 6th trip there and we always find it re-charges us and reminds us of the wonderfulness of life. How blessed we are to have the life we have and to find new friends - each time - with whom we can share it. Thank you.

• Stayed June 2006
5 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Also consider these accommodations in or near Frederiksted
Tamarind Reef Resort, Spa & Marina
The Palms at Pelican Cove
#2 of 14 in Christiansted
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,103 reviews
Renaissance St. Croix Carambola Beach Resort & Spa

Been to Sand Castle on the Beach? Share your experiences!