“Lovely, casual destination”

Ranked #2 of 3 Frederiksted B&B and Inns
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Lovely, casual destination”
Reviewed March 1, 2014

We visited the Sand Castle Resort in St Croix as a day destination during a recent cruise. We could have walked from the port but chose a $3 each way shared taxi. The small resort was inviting and friendly. We first enjoyed a casual outdoor lunch on a terrace overlooking a beautiful beach. The burgers and salads were excellent as was the service.

After lunch we took a long stroll on the clean, white sand beach to one of St. Croix's nature reserve beaches. The water was crystal clear and perfect for a cool-down dip along the way.

We returned to the resort and lounged by the pool (small but nice) on comfortable chaises with drinks in hand. It was also nice to use the poolside outdoor shower to rinse off the sand before returning to the ship.

This was a great day for us however it may not be the best for families as the pool area was small and it appeared that the majority of guests were couples.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank MarkCunningham

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (81)
Vineyard Haven, Massachusetts
Reviewed February 21, 2014

Just returned from a wonderful two weeks at the Sand Castle. Everyone was very friendly and helpful. For the most part, It's small, quiet, not fancy and RIGHT ON THE BEACH-(Just what we were looking for} We stayed in a queen courtyard room, just across from the main complex.For just a few extra steps,we had our own pool and the area almost exclusevly to ourselves. Their comp. brkfst :coffee,oj,breads and hard boild eggs[nice] was enough to get you moving yet left room for your activities. You sit on the deck as you eat, watching the waves or the weekend cruise ships.All our meals there at the Beach Side Cafe were very tasty.Esp the Shrimp grits on Sunday! I spent hours everyday snorkling, just steps from our room and head right or left ,it was great towards the pier one day and sandy point the next. My only real issue was noise.Not cars or people, but a Rooster at 3am who thankfully took leave of us after the third day.Thanks to whom ever,and a music festival at the town ball park .It went from10pm-6am Fri.&Sat. YES all night!!! It sounded like they were partying in my bathroom.Not Sand Castles fault but NO sleep my last 2 nights. That aside we really did enjoy the people and the place and will definitely be back ,(After we check the Music Festival schedule!)

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Kathy P
DC
Reviewed February 5, 2014

I know I'm late, but...I had to write this review even though my trip was back in August 2013. I was there for a wedding and for the most part the stay was comfortable, safe and fun. There are a few things I want to point out and hopefully they will be addressed. On my vacations, I usually like to get up bright and early to watch/experience the sunrise. Unfortunately, the beach chairs were locked up and I wasn't able to sit in the beach chairs. Staff was not on duty to unlock the chairs until 9am. That's a little too late to watch the sunrise. An option would be to maybe have a combination lock and each morning, allow guest to unlock the chairs to use for early times. I realize they are locked up each night for security purposes, but I think something can be done.

The rooms are far form luxury, but since I didn't spend much time in the room, it was clean, maintained and no general complaint. The water didn't get hot enough for me, and I used flip flops to shower ( I can be a germaphobe sometimes). I avoided the cloth shower curtain touching me which caused me to shower in the corner, but again that's my hangup.

I think I was in Room 207. It was advertised as an Ocean View, but CAUTION. It is not. Theoretically, it is an ocean view, but there is a huge palm tree right in the way of the view! If it was actually an ocean view it would have been nice.

Im a little partial of wicker furniture and cloth seating areas, My hang up again. The air conditioners were sufficient, but don't expect to enter a chilling room in the hot of the day. It is cooler than outside, but not AC like your office building or the grocery store.

The staff was EXCELLENT, very helpful. The pool was clean and my friends and I had a BLAST! The food and the drinks were enjoyable.

The beach location is worth their price in GOLD!! PERFECT. Property is RIGHT ON THE BEACH! Can't get any better than this. Clean, no hagglers, quiet and calm water.

I would return, but It is not 5 stat based on my standards. But for the safety, quietness, beach location, food, drinks and staff; I would return. Since the price is not 5 start, I found value in my stay.

Tips: Make sure Ocean View is OCEAN VIEW, you may have to steal a chair from the pool area until the staff arrives at 9am to unlock the beach chairs.

Hope this helps.

Room Tip: Rooms on the Water side are quieter. Not on the street side.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
4 Thank TDelMar
Cedar Rapids, IA
Reviewed January 20, 2014

While surfing the web about places to visit on St. Croix (a stop on our cruise) I found Sandcastle on the beach resort. They offer a day pass for cruise passengers and are less than a mile away from the cruise terminal. Beach chairs for two, plus umbrella was $20. The taxi fare , roundtrip, was $6 per person. The beach was not crowded---only one other family from the cruise ship. On site is a pleasant restaurant/bar, plus we could use their pool and restroom facilities. It was a wonderful, serene afternoon.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank maoflandr
Saint Joseph, Michigan
Reviewed January 18, 2014

excellent owners that work very hard every day that care about your stay, hands on personal attention. safe, great restaurant and service. one of the nicest beaches if not the best on the island. fabulous snorkeling / diving at the pier 1/4 mile away, or right off beach. would highly recommend for diving, this area always calm on this side of the island. can get anywhere on the island with in in 30 minutes.

Room Tip: dolphin villa the best
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank macman12
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed January 2, 2014

The Sand Castle on the Beach hotel provides excellent accommodations and service at an affordable price. My husband and I enjoyed every minute of our stay including spending time on a pristine beach, snorkeling, and relaxing in a comfortable, clean suite. The owners, staff and other guests made our vacation to St. Croix unforgettable. Sand Castle on the Beach is located close to town, so we were able to enjoy local festivities for the Christmas holiday. The owners take pride in ensuring all guests feel welcome and enjoy their stay. Our only regret is not staying much longer!
Dawn and Mike

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank DrShowers
Taneytown, Maryland
Reviewed December 10, 2013

We did a cruise ship day pass to this hotel and it was so excellent. The beach didn't have more than a dozen or so people on it. We got two chairs, an umbrella and two drinks for $25! We also had access to the outside pool, the bar & restaurant, restroom and outside shower. It was a lovely and memorable day. Our first day in the Caribbean couldn't have been better.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
4 Thank shaunare
Also consider these accommodations in or near Frederiksted
Tamarind Reef Resort, Spa & Marina
The Palms at Pelican Cove
#2 of 14 in Christiansted
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,103 reviews
Renaissance St. Croix Carambola Beach Resort & Spa

Been to Sand Castle on the Beach? Share your experiences!