“Threatened, I think, by staff member”

Sand Castle on the Beach
Ranked #2 of 4 Frederiksted B&B and Inns
Reviewed February 17, 2013

I'm literally writing this review after I got back from purchasing a day pass from the hotel front desk. I came in on a cruise and was offered a taxi to their beach. I didn't know it was gonna be $5 per person to enjoy their beach, but whatever, that's fine. My wife and I got on the beach, moved two chairs over in the shade to put on sunscreen before walking to Sandy Point. Apparently the sand castle I was extremely close to was the waiters greatest achievement in life. The rude waiter proceeded to go off on me about how close I was to the sand castle and how if I messed it up he was gonna come down there! He did this while I was apologizing, saying I'm not gonna destroy it...while he was waiting on tables...in front of paying customers...in the restaurant! At first I thought he was joking, but I never got the sense that he was. It was extremely awkward and I couldn't believe it. This was at like 11:00 a.m. and I wasn't sure if they deal with drunken idiots around there messing things up but, dude, really! I'm in my mid thirties, an ex military member, and I'm putting on sunscreen, how deeply threatening do I really look?! I will acknowledge I was close to the thing but was well aware of my surroundings.

On another note, my wife and I had discussed how irritated we would've been had we stayed there and they let a bunch of day guests come over and take up prime real estate on their beach. However, it did seem the beach was the 100% only thing going for it!! Would've packed up our stuff and turned right around and left had we booked something here.

So if you're looking for a place that has a great beach but let's a bunch of non overnight guests come and share it with you then this is your place. Just be sure to keep a safe distance from the waiters lifetime achievement sand castle because ol' Mother Nature has her dibs on wrecking it and he's gonna be very angry!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank hatesand
SpiritMixer, Owner at Sand Castle on the Beach, responded to this reviewResponded February 27, 2013

Good Day All-

From the beautiful beach at Sand Castle On The Beach, sending warm regards!

Now and then, mis-understandings clearly occur between the fleeting guest and the steady staff. In this particular case, the waiter -sand castle builder was in fact joking with the momentary guest.

What followed on the posting was an amplification of thoughts inside the beach guests' head that flowed out negatively, and for the what purpose? To cast dispersions, for something to do? To delight in stirring melee as one passes through the lives and livelihood of others is a curious occupation while on vacation.

If I were the Trip Advisor decision-maker about to post or not to post, this posting would surely
go away, thank you.

Reviewed January 21, 2013

The hotel itself is okay and the beach is very beautiful and clean however, it is not a private beach which I did know about.. the food, is, amazing! A bit pricey but extremely delicious. The white chocolate bread pudding is absolutely sinful. St Croix is a lovely island.

Room Tip: Rent a car for a day and see the whole island. It is worth it!!!
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Krystal M
Reviewed January 19, 2013

Went to this location after our two day journey and the ship trip to St Croix, and loved it. After a short taxi ride from the cruise ship to the hotel it didn't really look much outside, but after paying our $25 for two persons it was great. We had two loungers, two free drinks, and the use of the facilities around the small swimming pool and straight onto the beach. The water was warm, it wasn't very busy and the sea clean and clear. We swam in the sea, had a drink at the small bar by the swimming pool and if we had wanted something to eat there was a restaurant next door. Hospitality was great it was just what we needed after the flights & after our first day at sea. We contacted the hotel via email before we set sail informing them of our arrival. After our very pleasant stay we got a taxi back to the sea port for the ship. Well recommended.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
5  Thank avpe121
Reviewed January 7, 2013

Our cottage is right next door to Sandcastle, so we visit often. I join the Beach Club and really enjoy access to the two pools. The one across the street is a stunning, quiet retreat. The beachside pool is great for hanging out with friends, meeting guests and of course enjoying an wonderful adult beverage from the adjacent bar. The Beach Club memberships also include access to workout facilities etc. After that workout, Beachside Cafe is perfect. We dine there frequently and love our server Rita!! Bruno and Scott at the bar always make the visit fun too.
Sheryl and Simone are always gracious hostesses and always make us feel like family.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank stxvicki
Reviewed December 30, 2012

Our first port of call on a recent cruise. I had made contact with the hotel via the Internet. Ann our Taxi driver took us to the beach from the port. We had the 25usd package. The beach and the hotel were beautiful. We met some interesting people who were regulars, who raved about the island and hotel. The beer and food at the hotel were first class. We all got burnt, well some of us anyway.
If ever you have the chance do make the effort to visit, I am sure that like us you will be made most welcome.
All 11 in our group enjoyed the day.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
5  Thank redrobo10
Reviewed December 18, 2012

I loved that this hotel was down the beach from where the cruises let off. It was quiet and very nice. There were always people by the pool. On Saturday night, my boyfriend and I got dinner at the restaurant, which had love music and great food. We also got massages at the spa- which was a wonderful way to end out trip!

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Michelle K
Reviewed December 16, 2012

Do not share all the positive opinions about going to this hotel on a day pass. The beach has a significant drop off close to shore, with alot of big rocks in the water. The day we went (not sure if it is always like this) the waves were very strong and 2 of the 3 in our party got scraped up pretty bad. Once you got past the wave break area, the sea was very pleasant. Staff was friendly in setting up our beach chairs and umbrellas. The pool onsite is very basic to be sure - considering how the waves were we would have liked an option of a better pool like we have found in other resorts on day passes. There were a couple items for rent to use in the ocean but very few. The resort is fairly small, and very basic. Not saying we did not enjoy ourselves, but in no way compares, for example, with the day pass at the HIlton on Barbados. We will try another option next trip.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Phoenix_dream
Also consider these accommodations in or near Frederiksted
Sugar Beach Condo Resort
The Buccaneer St Croix
#1 of 14 in Christiansted
Arawak Bay: the Inn at Salt River
Renaissance St. Croix Carambola Beach Resort & Spa

Been to Sand Castle on the Beach? Share your experiences!