“Fun Activity on St Croix”

Gecko's Island Adventures
Ranked #4 of 14 Tours in Frederiksted
More attraction details
Owner description: Our ATV tour lasts approximately 1 1/2 hours and covers 13 miles of tropical terrain. It begins by riding along the west end coast line before heading up into the hills. We make a stop at an overlook that gives you fantastic views of the north shore. As we continue, we make our way to the top of Mt. Stewart where you get amazing vistas of the surrounding area. We visit plantation ruins from the early 1800's where you get time to explore and take photographs. From there we descend through the Sub-Tropical Rain Forest before ending the tour at a Rainbow Beach.
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Reviewed March 3, 2014

We had a great ATV tour last week (Feb 2014) with Jose. We were the only ones on the tour as it was not a cruise ship day. If you are staying on the island we recommend choosing a day when a ship is not in port in order to avoid crowds at the activities and on the beaches around Frederiksted. We could tell that Jose enjoyed doing the tour and sharing information with us about his home island.

The review comment about upper body strength on the ATVs is correct. These are heavy machines by themselves. With two people on them you need to be able to put a decent amount of force on the handlebars. Jose kept an eye on us the whole time to make sure we were handling the top of the mountain and mudholes.
The helmets are indeed bike helmets, but if you take things easy and slow down for the turns you will not have a problem.

If you are driving to Frederiksted you will have to park in town near the Customs House and go to the office to check in. Then you will drive out to Rainbow Beach (1 mile) where the ATVs are kept. The office in Frederiksted can be a little hard to find while you are driving. Try to park right behind the Customs House or on a street nearby. The office is through a courtyard off of the parking lot behind the Customs House.

Highly recommended!

1  Thank TarHeelBorn1

Reviewed February 26, 2014 via mobile

A short walk from the cruise ship pier puts you at the office of Geckos ATV tours where you are fitted with helmets, then picked up by a taxi and taken to the beach about 5 minutes away where you find the ATVs. After a short briefing on the use of these beasts, you set out driving the ATV on the main highway, on your way to the mountains and off-roading trail. It was a great tour and much more exciting than your typical cruise ship island tour. YOU WILL GET MUDDY SO DONT WEAR YOUR SUNDAY BEST! The riding part of this tour with stops at various places for pictures and island history was about 2 hours, where at the end of the tour you have the option of staying at the beach or getting a ride back to town. We chose to stay at the beach- a great beach and bar! I rate this adventure as 4 stars only because the tour was cut short by about 45min because the amount of rain in the previous days prevented us from traversing a second mountain. I would recommend that you have some prior experience driving ATVs to enjoy this to the fullest.

Reviewed February 25, 2014

We did the two-fer package, the ATV/seadoo combo and it was pretty fun. The ATV went into the back areas of the island, through some rainforest and we stopped to see some interesting sights. The ATV part of the tour was 1.5 hours. Then off to the sea doos which was a one hour rental. We didn't stay out the whole time as the ocean water was very salty and hard on the eyes. A good fun tour for those looking for something to do for the afternoon.

1  Thank spinnychick
Reviewed February 24, 2014

First timers on ATV beware! You need a lot of upper body strength to navigate ATV (especially with a passenger on board) on portions of the trail, especially at the very top, where path is narrow and slanted precariously in portions towards drop off on cliff. Most of the trail was enjoyable, on paved roads, dirt paths, just the very end up the mountain was a bit frightening. My husband's first time on ATV (he was driving, and he does drive our snowmobile at home) and my second. It was a lot more enjoyable than snowmobiling, for sure! Jamal kept a close eye on the 4 ATV's behind him, but his narration of various spots of interest was in a monotone that made him sound very bored.
Wave Runner - first time for both of us, there is a sharp drop off underwater where you board wave runner near the shore, so footing is tricky and it's rocky. One of the owners, Scott, assisted us boarding without incident. I was passenger, hubby was driving again, he swerved once to avoid a sea turtle and I thought he was going to tip us over. Passengers - keep you mouth closed, as you will get a lot of sea water in your face and eyes. The ocean was not very warm at this time of year, and no sun was out, so we were chilly. Getting off wave runner was a problem, just one employee came out to assist us, when I got off the wave runner again it was on the drop-off near shore, I had one leg on the bottom sand and one up higher on the rocks, and a wave knocked me down, washed me up on the rocks, dragged me out, and washed me up a second time before the guy who came out to assist us helped me up. Meanwhile, the wave runner was being pushed towards my head with the waves, and my husband jumped off in a panic, thinking I was going to be hit in the head by the wave runner. It was a scary couple of minutes, which could have been avoided if 2 employees had come out to assist us, since they knew this was our first time (and we are closer to 60 than 50). My leg got cut and bruised from the rocks, but no assistance was offered by the staff, they ignored us once were were on land.
There is a nice bar on the beach, and we had our 2 for 1 rum punch coupons, so we sat in our beach chairs and were thankful for the umbrella provided, since we were getting more "liquid sunshine".

1  Thank Kitty M
Reviewed February 23, 2014

We did the 2-Fer package and had a blast. The ATV tour was fun - the guide was friendly, funny, and informative. It rained on us for a little while, but that was okay. Loved the overlook, and the sugar plantation ruins. Then we rode the jet ski for an hour at Rainbow Beach, and then ended the day with a couple of margaritas and relaxation. It was a great day on St. Croix. We were on the 11:30 tour and still had plenty of time to get back to the cruise ship. The office was easy to find, and professionally run. Thanks for a fun adventure!

1  Thank Julie S