“Dont waste your time”

The Galleon
Cuisines: Asian, French, Steakhouse, Wine Bar
Good for: Special occasions, Business meetings, Romantic, Large groups
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Located ion the property of The Tamarind Reef Resort, Spa, and Marina, The Galleon offers a unique water front fine dining experience. Under new ownership as of April 15, 2015.
Reviewed July 22, 2017

The Galleon, Green Cay Marina, Tamarind Bay Resort, St Croix, USVI

We live here, on St Croix, full time. We have a boat we keep here at Green Cay Marina, and are members of the local fishing club, Golden Hook.
We’d heard from the coconut telegraph that the nicer restaurant at Tamarind, The Galleon, was under new management. Hadn’t talked to anyone who had actually been there recently tho…so the previous stigma (not good) was still keeping locals away, but we thought we’d give them a fair shot.
According to the local entertainment guide, stcroixcalendar, a local musician was to be playing on Saturday and we thought it would be a good night to try them out. Went in at 5 PM to the bar for happy hour…we were the only people there. Informed that there would be no live music that night. Turns out the events calendar hadn’t been updated in months. No explanation.

Had a drink at the bar. Bartender was a nice guy…had to be tough making a living on a Sat evening when we were only customers. Killer is that the bar is perfectly located on a picturesque marina with an outside patio overlooking the water and boats and sunset…yet, no one was there.

Wine list: It’s St Croix. Be happy they have one. They have maybe 10 red wines by the bottle on their list; some with prestigious pedigrees well over 100/bottle. We initially asked for a Sonoma Cab (out) and settled for a Joel Gott Cab at $36. The wine came out ice cold, like beer on a hot day…. Now don’t get me wrong…I’ve lived in the tropics for a long time and this is a tricky call…you can’t keep your quality red wines at room temp (85-ish) but seriously, you can’t keep them in the deep freeze either. At 36 bucks…whatever, but at +100$ if it came out with icicles…not so much.

We moved into the main dining area at 6:30. Still by ourselves. Polite waiter brought menus and the wine list and explained the daily specials, which included a “locally caught, fresh, yellow fin tuna”.
Say no more. Local tuna is delicious and if it’s on the menu, in a word; order it. Medium Rare.

EXCEPT!!!

When my tuna arrived, it was stone cold. Like barely out of the freezer cold with a singe on the outside.
Ate a bite but didn’t need to, because my fork told me all I needed to know. Frozen.
I sat and waited, and waited…for the waiter or anyone to come by and, after 10 minutes, got up and walked my plate into the service area.
Waiter took my plate and while I tried to explain, walked away into the kitchen without a word. A minute later the manager came by the table (with me with no plate) and asked if everything was satisfactory…so no communication between kitchen/servers/management.
Waiter apologized, and said that, being on an island, they don’t get fresh fish daily and the tuna was frozen and he shouldn’t have described it as “fresh, local caught” because it was neither. Frozen, store bought. I fish these waters daily and tuna, wahoo and mahi are in plentiful supply…and the chef has a MARINA in his back yard!
Inexcusable.
When the waiter returned with my Tuna entrée (you don’t need to hold your breath here, no one could have predicted it) it was over-cooked to the consistency of leather. That’s the risk of sending food back to a kitchen that doesn’t take pride in their food. You could almost hear the chef giving me the finger.
Not all bad and giving credit where its due…. The Missus had the surf and turf ($46) which gad a very nicely seasoned and prepared( med/rare) filet. But the “surf”, lobster, was a tiny morsel…about two small bites.
Garnishes were fine. Mashed potatoes with the steak and risotto with the tuna. Veggies fine.
Mussels appetizer with coconut curry was pretty good.
I live here. It just seems so wrong that a local restaurant would treat its customers so arrogantly. Tourists are not idiots… even they can see through your lies and manipulations. But locals? You can’t succeed here without our support, and you REALLY need to try harder to earn it.
I’m dialing the coconut telegraph as we speak….

1  Thank ourharmony

Reviewed July 14, 2017 via mobile

Staff and management were extremely friendly and we enjoyed hanging with the locals. Service was really slow while they apologized as "we cook 1 order at a time". Med rare steak was med, lobster was dry but tasty. Tuna dish wad exceptional but creamed spinach side was late to table as kitchen had to run to the store.
Can quickly be a 5 star but need coordination.
We would come back in a heartbeat.

Reviewed June 30, 2017 via mobile

We had heard good things about the restaurant and ate here our first night on the island. The outdoor seating was closed and indoors we got only very small view of the harbor, where boat masts quite frankly blocked most of the view. The meal was OK and a little expensive for the portion and presentation. There were only two tables including ours seated and the food took at least 30 minutes from the time we ordered. Wouldn't go back-- and wouldn't recommend it.

Juli M, Front Office Manager at The Galleon, responded to this reviewResponded July 1, 2017

Greetings Hayley!

I apologize that the Galleon did not live up to your expectations. Customer service is always our number one priority, so we are always concerned when our guests are not happy. Please note that all of our meals are prepared fresh as they are ordered, and depending on your menu choice, can require a little more time to prepare than some eating establishments. We would welcome the opportunity to speak with your personally, so please give Juli or Kisha a phone call and we will try to make things right. We hope that you enjoy your visit to our beautiful island.

Reviewed June 17, 2017

Was very disappointed. Reviews were excellent which made it even more disappointing. Service friendly.

Juli M, Manager at The Galleon, responded to this reviewResponded June 19, 2017

I'm very sorry to hear you were disappointed with your meal. If you would please call the restaurant and detail why you were disappointed, we will try to make it up to you. Our number 1 priority is insuring that our customers have a truly wonderful dining experience.
Please ask for Kisha or Juli when you call and we will try to make things right!

Reviewed May 27, 2017 via mobile

My wife and I ate here on the last night of our honeymoon and it was a perfect way to wind down our trip. Russell, our waiter, was very attentive and was very charming as he took care of all of our needs. The dinner and drinks were delicious and were complemented by an idyllic view of Green Cay Marina. Although it was the offseason, we were surprised at how quiet the place was. Based on the food and service, we would have expected more people! If you are looking for a quiet, romantic evening with fine food and better service, The Galleon is just the spot.