“Second time around just as nice”

Arawak Bay: the Inn at Salt River
Ranked #1 of 13 Christiansted B&B and Inns
Reviewed April 14, 2014

This is our second time here, and we love it....Jennifer and Lionel are wonderful, breakfast is great and the rooms are nice , a very good buy for the money. As before, they are anxious to help in any way, so you really get the feel of being in someone's home rather than at an impersonal hotel.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
3  Thank Larry M

Reviewed March 24, 2014

I stayed here with a large group of people. Jennifer and Lionel are wonderful people and wonderful hosts. They are always willing to stop and chat no matter how busy it was. The inn is away from hustle and bustle which, if you would rather not drive is a problem. This place is a gem in the hills. Jennifer and Lionel are great cooks, but if you are looking for a night out can give you the run down of the local eats. There is a beach, kayak rental, and bar in a 15 minute walking distance. The rooms are spacious (even the double occupancy ones) and the cleaning staff where excellent as well. The view from the upstairs balcony is gorgeous as well. I plan on returning whenever I can.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank hgill13
Reviewed March 24, 2014

The Arawak is amazing. Jennifer and Lionel went above and beyond to make our stay perfect. Not only did they cook great food for us, they helped accommodate our stay by helping us plan events and even accompanied us to various locations. I would never stay anywhere else. I highly recommend a stay here of you really want to experience the culture of St. Croix. I will definitely be back!

• Stayed: March 2014
2  Thank meowski22
Reviewed February 22, 2014

My wife and I stayed here for a week in January. Everything about the place is exceptional: the rooms are spacious and very clean; the breakfasts are varied, hearty and good; the view toward the sea is lovely; the location, on the north shore west of Christiansted, is close to beaches, diving and snorkeling, and good restaurants (in particular Rowdy Joe's, one of the island's best) but is still quiet and secluded. There is a pretty pool and cabana area on the property where one can relax, read in the morning, or eat a takeout dinner when you don't feel like going to a restaurant.

But most important and best are the hosts. Jennifer and Lionel both obviously enjoy what they do. They are friendly, helpful, and very knowledgable about St. Croix. Jennifer takes early (5 or 6 o'clock) morning walks up into the mountains and is happy to take a guest along. My wife has a gluten allergy, and each morning either Lionel or Jennifer prepared something special- and delicious- for her. Altogether, they are gracious hosts and we left having been treated both like special guests and good friends.

I give the Inn at Arawak Bay my highest recommendation.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
3  Thank bontravail1
Reviewed February 16, 2014

This was our first visit to St. Croix. We came to visit our son and daughter in law. Jennifer and Lionel are outstanding hosts!! The room was great! View from balcony was of the ocean! Constant breeze!
Breakfast was always good. Jennifer and Lionel changed up the menu each morning. Of course you could order what you wanted, but why. The location is ideal. Only about 10 minutes from Cane Bay Dive Shop and about 35 or so minutes from the airport.
Christiansted & Fredricksted are easy drives from the Inn. There is an outside pool and bar also.
Our time was short, however when we do return we will definately contact Jennifer & Lionel for another great St. Croix lodging experience!

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Gerry W
Reviewed January 21, 2014

This was my first visit to St. Croix and it was one of the best vacations I have had in years. My daughter and I plan to make this an annual trip. The owners, Jennifer and Lionel were gracious hosts who were helpful with everything we needed. Cleanliness, honesty and comfort is a top priority at Arawak. This is a lovely, quiet part of the island and the rooms have spectacular views and it's safe. It's close to the beach and if you want a good workout try walking up 'The Scenic Road' or go kayaking where you will get a history lesson and have fun too. I HIGHLY recommend Arawak Bay.

Room Tip: Corner suites are large and sunny and higher floors have spectacular views
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed January 19, 2014

What an absolutely fantastic experience I had staying at the Arawak Inn! The room was immaculate, the beds were so comfortable, and the view of the ocean from the 2nd floor balcony was truly amazing! Arawak’s location on the Island is PERFECT, meaning, it is secluded for privacy and is very peaceful so you can rest BUT it is close to EVRYTHNG St. Croix has to offer; scuba, horseback riding, ocean kayaking, the bioluminescence bay, national parks, the beaches, cultural locations, farmers market, snorkeling, hiking the rain forest, charter boats, restaurants/bars and the shopping. Only a ten minute ride from the airport too! Bring your appetite because they cook up a TON of food for breakfast and it is AWESOME!! If you are into wildlife and birds Arawak’s beautiful flowering landscape that surrounds the building allows you to see a variety of species without ever leaving the porch! While drinking the most delicious cup of coffee made by Jennifer every morning and sitting on the front porch watching the sunrise over the ocean I saw Mongoose, Anole, Green Iguana, Scaly-Naped Pigeon, White-Wing Dove, Antillean Crested Hummingbird, Loggerhead Kingbird, Pearly-Eyed Thrasher, Connecticut Warbler, Bananaquit, Black-Faced Grassquit, Little-Blue Heron, Cattle Egret, Lesser Antillean Bullfinch, and American Kestrel! A wildlife watcher’s dream morning –every morning at Arawak!! But without a doubt, it was the owners of Arawak, Jennifer and Lionel, that make this place extremely exceptional! In all my travels I have never experienced the type of amazing hospitably that these folks provided. I have never met as friendly, generous, accommodating and knowledgeable owner of an inn as I did with Jennifer! If you had a question or needed something and she did not have it (which was rare) –by the end of the day she had it for you. She spoke to you and treated you as one of her family. In fact , I had only stayed 7 days there but at the end of my stay I felt like I knew this women for years and was an old friend. I felt like a part of her family when I left and feel I have a new friend for life in Jennifer! Jennifer and Lionel are very well liked and known on the island and have many contacts that proved extremely valuable for obtaining information on where to go, what to do and even got my group access to places that the typical traveler would never know to go (like hidden waterfalls in the rainforest or tidal pools). Politicians, cultural experts, natural resource and wildlife experts, University and research staff, local farmers, restaurant owners, education and recreational entities, Jennifer knew them ALL (and by first name)! This was truly a trip I will never forget and it was all because of the fine people and accommodations at the Arawak Inn!!!

Room Tip: The 2nd floor has the best view of the ocean!
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business