“Worth the drive”

Cultured Pelican
Ranked #50 of 113 Restaurants in Christiansted
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Description: An Al Fresco dining room with a magnificent Caribbean view. The menu is Home style Italian featuring veal, pastas, local seafood and local farm salads. Open Tues - Sun eves for dinner from 6pm.Complete dinner special for $25. Includes appetizer, Entrtee and dessert. Avail 6 - 7pm every dat except Thurs.
Reviewed December 26, 2013

Nice ambiance, outdoor dining. Food was well prepared and chef/owner Dennis walked around several times to make sure everyone was enjoying. Very nice evening.

Reviewed December 26, 2013

Just spent a lovely evening at the CP. Great food, excellent company- my husband and kids and perfect holiday ambiance. We shared an excellent calamari and we all enjoyed our entrees- my eggplant rollitini was terrific. Mike picked a great wine for me and Dennis is always a charming host. I'm sorry no one had room for dessert as they all sounded yummy. Buon Natale..

Reviewed December 8, 2013

I am a local and have heard good things about this restaurant. 5 of us went into eat and ordered an 2 appetizers to go with our meal. We cut into them and the middle is the rice was freezing cold pork. We sent them back. They simply heated them up and brought them back the way we left them. In many years in a restaurant when something is cold you bring them new ones and not simply heat them up in a microwave. Specially being a higher class restaurant. After we said we wanted to angel our order. The owner came and asked If everything was alright. We explained to him what the issue was. All he could say was that our meals were almost ready. Didn't apologize and left the table angry. I will not be going back.

Dennis G, Owner at Cultured Pelican, responded to this reviewResponded December 25, 2013

I am sorry for your bad experience at the Cultured Pelican. It appears that poor communication from my staff to me in the kitchen led to a snowball effect that turned into a bad experience for you. Upon returning to the kitchen with your Arancini appetizer the server requested it to be heated up. I asked if a new appetizer should be prepared and his response was no, just more heat on the returned item. I was not able to come out into the dining room because I am also the chef and was quit busy at that time. The fact that you left without trying your entrees was unfortunate for you as well as myself. The server was very new and realized he should have asked a few more questions of you. I hope you will give us another chance. Your experience was not typical of quality of food and service at the Cultured Pelican.

Reviewed July 12, 2013

My experience with this restaurant was a total disappointment. I was a part of a large group which came to St.Croix to for a wedding. On their last night (bride and groom), they decided a trip to an elegant restaurant would be the icing to the trip. Although, we made reservations and took over the entire restaurant, the service was lacking. We waited approximately 45 minutes for our drinks and they weren't even great! I sent my drink back, then after waiting another 30 minutes we were informed they were out of calamari which was our appetizer, our table ordered two....unsure if the other two tables ordered any. Then after another 10 minutes the waitress returned to say they were out of shrimp, with that announcement 8 members of our group left the restaurant (1 table). Finally, the food started coming out, but to my surprise it came out one meal at a time, so a table of 12 would sit and watch that person eat. My order of mussels in a wine sauce was HORRIBLE and I sent that back also.

My biggest fault with this restaurant was 1) we made reservations and 2) manager inattentiveness. As a so call Great restaurant, how could you run out of an important seafood such as shrimp and although the manager knew he had a very large group that were unhappy he refused to greet us. After hours of waiting for final orders (we had no choice since everything closes early) and we asked for the manager/cook. He came out but it would have been best if he did not because he only confirmed my view of this restaurant. I like to contribute to charity every year so this was my contribution, I would never visit nor recommend this restaurant to anyone and if I have any friends planning to visit St.Croix, I will gladly tell them to stay clear of this place.

Dennis G, Owner at Cultured Pelican, responded to this reviewResponded July 14, 2013

I am extremely sorry for your bad experience at the Cultured Pelican. As you can see from other reviews most guest loved their experience at the Cultured Pelican. I'm not one to make excuses but there were a few circumstances that contributed to your bad experience. That was closing week for the Cultured Pelican. I close every year from July to December. Food inventory was lower than normal. Although I knew you were coming I did not anticipate 80% of the guest in your party ordering items with shrimp and Calamari in them. The fact that it took so long to be told about the shortages was because the staff I had during that last week was not my regular trained staff. Instead of taking the entire order for 25 they took individual orders. It took close to an hour to get all the orders in the kitchen. At that point I was able to see we had a problem with shrimp and calamari. I am always attentive to my customers in the dining room. I am also the chef at the Cultured Pelican. That night I was cooking and could not come to dining room until I cleared all the tickets on the line. Again I am not making excuses for your bad experience. I do realize now not to take a 25 top during my last week open for the summer. I sincerely apologize and promise you if you ever come back to the Cultured Pelican I will make your visit a great experience. Dennis Giancontiere proprietor.

Reviewed June 17, 2013

My wife and I ate here on our last night of our honeymoon. It was exactly what we were looking for. Great food and quiet. Owner/Chef came out and was really nice.