“Little gem in St Croix (from a vegetarian's perspective)” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Caribbean, Indian
Good for: Dining on a budget, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Outdoor Seating, Takeout
NYC
“Little gem in St Croix (from a vegetarian's perspective)”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2013

I stayed on this island for about a week, during this entire week I tried a few restaurants and I got to the point where my body needed something a bit more than the veggie burgers and salads.

We had a rental car so we basically took the main road (Northside Rd) and we made a left on a hospital (could be a right for you depending on which side of the island you are coming from, we were coming from where Food Town is).

The owner of this place is a very sweet woman, she actually has a few signs placed on the road to guide people to her restaurant.

I had the chickpea and potato roti and it was quite delicious. Her food is reasonably priced and she serves big portions. She also sells fruit juices from local fruits such as sorrel and another wood like drink I can't remember the name.

It felt so good giving this place our business :) Do not let the location scare you, if you go in the morning or anytime before 4:30PM you should feel safe. It is not in a touristy location but not because you are among locals you should feel unsafe.

I recommend this place!

• Visited August 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars
2 Thank vivisita77

Aurora, Colorado
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“yummy lunch”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2013

My husband read about Ace Roti Shop on TripAdvisor so we checked it out for lunch. We both chose the boneless chicken roti and it was delicious. A VERY large portion of curry, chick peas, potato and chicken wrapped in an extremely large roti bread. The chicken was so tender and the curry was amazing. Neither of us could finish it all but we came close! I really could have used a fork as it got messier as it got smaller - it was served like a square burrito in a plastic baggie. The woman at the counter was so friendly and we enjoyed talking to her about the island. We chose to eat at one of the 3 small tables just ouside the areawhere you order.

• Visited July 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars
Wake Forest, North Carolina
“Good food but set your expectations”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

The name of this place is ACE Roti shop. Shop is the emphasis here because it's primarily takeout but they do have two little bistro tables you can eat at if desired. Window service only. The menu is roti (chicken, beef, shrimp, goat,fish) and some appetizers. Excellent west indian curry food but rated average overall due to atmosphere/location. This is a little hole in the wall just outside C'sted and next to the projects. It's located halfway down a small side street. There are a few signs for directions but the locals keep tearing them down so you may have to call for directions. One sign takes you directly in from the main road. Another takes you through the projects. They're only open wed-sat 10-4:30 and also set up food stands for local events like jump-up.

Visited July 2013
1 Thank Scubadoo
TX
“It's hard to find, but DON'T leave until you do!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2013

The reviews are true! My wife and I are lovers of international and cultural food. This little slice of Trinidadian heaven in St. Croix is not to be missed. Look let's be honest, you are not coming here for the ambiance, the scenery, or the sit down dining experience. You are coming here because you are going to get some really good dang food. This was literally our last meal from St Croix. We arrive Saturday night, and Ace is closed Sunday, Monday, and Tuesday. So Wednesday on the way to the airport we stopped to get our Roti. We split a boneless chicken roti because they are generally healthy portions. Well my only mistake was sharing one. I was nearly in tears when my half was gone!

It can be hard to find, so give em a call when you get close 340-719-7684. I am trying to load a pic of the menu with directions as well. But honestly the directions wouldn't have helped us much.

Enjoy!

• Visited June 2013
Kalamazoo
“The best goat roti!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2013

The location is funky, but the food is the real deal. The goat roti can't be best----slow cooked with lots of sweet spices until it melts in your mouth.

• Visited April 2013