“Breathtaking adventure”

4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Breathtaking adventure”
Reviewed January 6, 2013

took the sailboat "Renegade" ride to the Buck island. Two man crew took care of 20 of us. Had a great time sailing and taught us to snorkel in the pristine waters at Buck Island beach. Then took us snorkeling and made BBQ at another beach. Second trip is half price.

1 Thank 1for

Minneapolis, Minnesota
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Good Excursion!”
Reviewed January 1, 2013

My girlfriend and I took the full-day tour with another couple while on a cruise stop. There were 15-20 people total in our group. The dock staff was easygoing and made sure to keep us in the know. The catamaran was being fixed when we arrived, and they were quick to alert us that we might have to use the other boat. They did fix it in time, and off we went. Onboard, the crew was friendly but not intrusive when we were talking amongst our group of four.

The beach stop was great (short, as others mentioned, but worth it). Snorkeling over the reef was awesome and I saw some great coral. The water was too choppy for my girlfriend, but she felt fine going back to the boat to hang out with some of the other non-snorkelers.

Last stop was another beach for all-you-can-eat cook-out of hot dogs, hamburgers, and fish. Rum punch was also free-flowing at this point, and it was a relaxing way to spend the rest of the afternoon. We wandered along the beach and would occasionally re-join the crew/BBQ area. You didn't feel forced to do much of anything or be all 'one big happy group'.

Long boat ride back; great way to enjoy the sun and sea. Biggest hassle of the day was the St. Croix taxi company. Big Beard himself made sure we found our taxi, but the taxi driver could not fit everyone. We waited for another taxi (#2), and as soon as we got in, #2 drove us around the block several times before dropping us back off at the dock to get in taxi #3 instead. We had already paid for round-trip taxi fare, so this does not cost extra, it's just a waste of time and confusing. Both #1 and #2 taxi drivers were rude and ignored most of us in line when we asked questions. Other than this situation, great day and great tour. We would do it again.

Carbondale, Illinois
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 16 helpful votes
“Had A Blast!”
Reviewed January 1, 2013

If you like to snorkel and want to see an amazing pristine beach ( Buck Island) go on this tour! They take you to Buck Island to get acquainted with the equipment and to enjoy the breath taking beach. Then you go to the underwater trail to snorkel and it is AWESOME! The staff is there to help you but allow you the freedom to explore. We highly recommend Big Beard!
The Williams' Family
Carbondale, IL.

1 Thank Robin w
NEW YORK
“very friendly crew”
Reviewed December 21, 2012

My friends and I took this trip for a full day and we absolutely enjoyed it.....the crew was amazing, I think Caitlyn was the captain and Andy was first mate but Caitlyn let Andy be the captain for the trip... Chris an Cjay were training to be crew on that day an were both very friendly an helpful, Cjay kept asking us if we were ok an if we needed anything (we didn't want to bother him much cause Caitlyn said he was new) but he insisted on helping, so we had a few rum punch (which were great by the way) as our glasses got empty Cjay kept refilling them which made it much easier for us not be up and about every time.... the snorkeling was great Caitlyn, Chris and Cjay took us on the first tour an Andy stayed on the boat as lifeguard after tour we were allowed to do our own thing... my friends didn't get in the water so I was alone until Cjay saw me all by my self an came to keep me company an pointed out some really nice stuff that I wouldn't of spotted on my own it was easy to tell he's done this before .... then we were off for lunch at a nice beach then off sailing again after... all in all it was an amazing experience an would recommend it to anyone.... THANKS TO ANDY, CAITLYN, CHRIS AND CJAY...

Denver, Colorado
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 17 helpful votes
“Amazing Experience!”
Reviewed December 16, 2012

We went to Buck Island on Big Beards full day snorkel tour. It was such a great time! Our Captains picked us up right on the dock just off the beach from our hotel The Buccaneer since we were on the way! Our Captains, Andy and Brad that we nick named "Brandy" were fun, light hearted, informative and safe! The ride to Buck Island was great; the people we met on our trip have become friends for a lifetime. The water was the same temp as the air so you can swim to your hearts content without getting cold. There's a side of the island with a beach and not much to see under water but a great place to chill and enjoy the sand, sun and ocean...what more could a girl want? This: the other side of the Island is where the National Reef is (Thank you Kennedy family) one of our captains led us through the Monument. It is so cool. From what I understand the reefs are looking better and personally I found them beautiful, full of life from schools of fish of all shapes and colors to a lone barracuda cruising the reefs. We didn't see any sea turtles, which was a bummer but didn't break my trip. Our Captains allowed us to ride on the front of the Catamaran, which was truly amazing! After we had snorkeled the perfect amount of time (I don't remember but I wasn't cut off) they took us to a little island where they prepared hamburgers, hotdogs and mahi mahi, they even had vegetarian burgers! The food was good but the rum punch was better and we weren't shorted on that either. Never did we say; "Why is the rum always gone" on this trip! After stuffing our faces we headed back to Christiansted blowing "Brandy's" conch the whole way back! Our Captains were the greatest and dealt with our goofiness!
It really was a sight to see. Highly recommend going while you're there!

Visited October 2012