“disappointing”

Ranked #12 of 14 Hotels in Christiansted
Dania Beach, Florida
“disappointing”
Reviewed June 12, 2012

We stayed here overnight in one of the historical rooms. I recognize that they are trying to keep the hotel historic, but we were concerned about security. No double lock on the door. When you leave, you just turn the little lock screw on the door. I assume that the floor boards are the original wood. However, some were far apart enough to look down below. It seems that no-one stays at the front desk. When I just arrived, a guest went to tell the front desk person that I was there to check in. The rooms are clean, but furnishings are sparse. There was a closet, but no drawers except for stationary. For an overnight visit, that's fine, but for a week, it would be a problem and you'd have to live out of your suitcase. I also didn't like the fact that parking had to be on the street. We spent quite a bit of time circling around to find parking.

Room Tip: Recommend for overnight stay and if you don't have transportation. Be alert and aware when walk...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank LindasDoral
, Director of Sales at Club Comanche, responded to this review, July 11, 2012
Thank you very much for the comments and the management has already been informed and will do the utmost in order to rectify the mentioned challanges.
Looking forward to welcoming you again at the Club Comanche.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
New York City, New York
Reviewed June 6, 2012

Took my boyfriend out to St. Croix for his birthday. This place looked nice sort of old world historic and charming. The whole property was very clean, it had an elevator but it doesn't appear to have been working in a long time so, we had to use the stairs. The room was so charming and cute, the staff was very friendly and helpful and the hotel did have an old world feel.
The pool was drained at the time of our visit, but the beach was only a 5 minute ferry ride away and the dock to catch the ferry was about a 3 minute walk from the hotel. The back of the hotel is on the marina and it was an easy walk to many of the other restaurants around which is good, cause there isn't one in the hotel. The bar was open air and comfortable.
We had a really nice time, laid back relaxation and quiet. I know there were mentions of the hotel being noisy prior to our booking but we didn't find it noisy at all, except on Saturday when there was a Salsa party in the bar which was right by our room.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
6 Thank TravelinTiffNYC
, Director of Sales at Club Comanche, responded to this review, July 11, 2012
Thank you very much for your response and we are looking forwadr to welcoming you again to the Club Comanche Hotel.
Saint Louis, Missouri
Reviewed June 3, 2012

My travel agency booked myself and a friend came with me on this trip that I was turning into a vacation after my business on the island had finished. I worked all day Wednesday and Thursday and left her to do whatever she wanted during the day.

When we checked in, the room was normal from what I had remembered on my last stay in October of 2011 however; there was no refrigerator. We were given the typical outside key to gain access into the building plus our room key and I and my travel companion had our own sets of keys. On Wednesday, the staff brought a refrigerator into the room. I was happy they had done so. We found Wednesday night and the rest of our trip when we returned to the hotel, the hotel was not locked up as it had been when I stayed during my October, 2011 trip.
Thursday was the problem and the days after that just added to the frustration. I was at work all day. My travel companion placed her purse into the wardrobe and left for the beach about 10:00AM and came back at 2:00PM to find that an iron and ironing board had been placed into the wardrobe and her purse had been moved and the purse was missing $80. Upon returning from work and hearing of this, I immediately went down to talk to the hotel front desk staff. She took my information down, apologized and said she would contact the hotel manager and property owner when they got back as they were off the property. I gave her my cell phone number and insisted it was important they contact me as soon as possible to attempt to resolve this issue. I never heard anything back the entire day.

Since Thursday concluded the business I had on the island, we got up late on Friday and were getting ready to walk out the door when a hotel cleaning staff knocked on the door indicating who she was. We confronted her about the missing money and she sincerely apologized and swore to us that it was not her and that she had heard about the theft. This tells me that the hotel staff was aware of the problem and made me seriously question why I had not heard from the hotel manager concerning the theft issue. She also indicated that we were the only guests staying in this part of the hotel this weekend so the hotel manager could not have been too busy to address a dissatisfied guest, in my opinion. She also told us exactly the areas she would not go near because our possessions were there.

Upon coming back from doing a bit of shopping in the area, I went down, again, to contact the hotel front desk staff and request to speak with the hotel manager. I was greeted by the same individual who checked us in on Tuesday and explained the situation to him. He immediately denied doing it yet admitted that he was the individual who gave us the iron and ironing board. He would have been in the wardrobe during the time the theft took place or someone else was in there during that time in addition to him. The hallways of the hotel have cameras and the security camera monitors seem to be in good working order from what I could tell looking at the monitor behind the front desk. He offered to look at the tapes and I, again, told him what the time period was when my travel companion had left the purse in the room, when the theft took place. I also requested that the hotel manager contact me and again, heard nothing from the hotel manager that day.

On Saturday, after our snorkel trip, I, again, went down to the front desk and explained to the woman what had happened and she went upstairs and looked for the hotel manager after trying to call the manager from her cell phone. I, again, left my name and number and again, I had not heard anything from a hotel manager.

It is now Sunday and we will be filing a police report and we will be attempting to contact the hotel manager one last time.

I realize that the hotel manager probably was not the person who took the money however; being a manager, you are responsible for the actions of your employees and the safety and security of your guests and their possessions. What is inexcusable is the complete and utter failure to contact the guest to simply apologize for what happened, let alone make any attempt to make it right. As someone who has owned businesses in the past, failing to at least contact the dissatisfied customer to make at least an attempt is either cowardness or Incompetence.

We also had a problem with someone in the street laying on the horn at 6:00 in the morning for a good 10-15 minutes. The rooster crowing is also a problem. There is no insulation in the walls. If you are a light sleeper, you are going to hear the noises out in the street.

Room Tip: If you choose to stay here, make sure you use the safe for anything of value and bring your own surv...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
5 Thank Khilzinger
, Director of Sales at Club Comanche, responded to this review, July 11, 2012
In reference to your comments we would like to point out that no hotel in the world takes responsibility for items,valuable or money left in the room or any other area at the hotel.
The hotel offers saftey boxes free of charge for this purpose.
Most guests spent more time outse the room and hotel hotel premises therefore the possibility
that itmes are misplaced during that time without the guest noticing it are very high.
Furthermore only and officially perforemd investigation and the proper follow up indicates
that a specific person was involved and guilty, noone should be accused at any time by anyone.
The guest was compensated due to goodwill and without admittance of any shortcoming by the hotel and proof of anything.

Travelers are raving about these Christiansted hotels

DaizyB
Reviewed June 1, 2012

Once I had decided against the idea of staying a a big resort far from town, I began looking at the hotels in the historical center. The Club Comanche appealed to me based on it's location and the history of the building itself. The main part of the hotel has stood there fore 250 years though the entire colonial history of the island. It's hosted presidents and scholars and weathered the storms through good times and bad. It boasts the island's first elevator (not working at the time of my visit but interesting) and the island's first swimming pool. The whole place has been painstakingly restored with great deference to it's historic character and furnished with antiques and reproductions for a very authentic feel. Like most historic wooden hotels, the walls are thin and you may hear some noise from other rooms or from outside but though other reviews have called it noisy, I really did not have a problem with this from my third floor room. The whole property is very clean and the open air hotel bar brings in a very friendly mix of visitors and locals. The bar has live must on some nights and I was told that there is salsa dancing one night per week. This is a great place for an independent traveler who wants to feel the culture of the area firsthand but visitors should know that there is no 24 hour front desk staff so if you are arriving very early or very late it s a good idea to call ahead to be sure that someone will be there to greet you with your keys. The building has key access after hours and the area feels very safe. There is also no restaurant at the hotel itself but the bar serves small bites from the grill and there is a deli down below the bar and plenty of restaurants in easy walking distance. The staff is very friendly and were happy to offer suggestions or assistance when needed but mostly you will come and go on your own. There is no onsite parking but the lot down Strand St always had plenty of space. The location is right on the harbor so it is a good departure point for fishing or diving trips. If you're looking for an all-inclusive, tour-managed experience, this is not for you but for a more self-sufficient traveler, the Club Comanche provides a very clean, safe and comfortable home base from which to explore.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank DaizyB
, Director of Sales at Club Comanche, responded to this review, July 11, 2012
Thank you very much for your comments and we would e happy to welcoming you again at
the Club Comanche Hotel.
Irvine, CA
Reviewed May 1, 2012

Initially this hotel is charming and cute. The main building is a very old plantation with wood plank floors. There is a bar attached that has no windows and the bar staff are amazing. I will say too that almost all the hotel staff are very nice. However I would not recommend staying here at all. I called when we landed in Miami to touch base with the hotel as we wouldn't be getting in until 9:30 at night due to delays. The woman was fairly rude saying "Oh we wont have anyone here past 11." After pushing her to explain what I should do she informed me a night manager would be on site. She refused to explain how to reach said night manager. Helpful. Upon check in we were told to lug our own bags up four flights of stairs (no elevator), the last of which was barely wide enough to fit a bag. More like tree house steps. Our first room was fine, it faced the bar so we heard a good amount of noise late into the night but it was tolerable. Once the screamer came into the room below us it was no longer tolerable. After keeping us up until 4 a.m. we moved rooms. The hotels staff was amazing about it and said she was putting us in their best room. It appeared cute, with a loft bed area. We were told a former president recently stayed here. That would embarrass me. First, while I am grateful for how helpful she was and moving us to a nicer room, can you explain why when someone asks to be moved due to noise you move them to a room LITERALLY over a night club. That night we were up until 3:30 a.m. Then when trying to sleep in the next day our neighbors decided to have a room party. We were nearly homicidal at this point and had paid for an expensive trip to Buck Island, which was wasted as we fell asleep on the boat. Lovely. Secondly, when I say that the room appeared nice at first, let me explain why. First, I have never seen a cleaning woman spend more than 10 mins in a room. This makes me sure they don't clean the floors (hopefully they do between guests.) This was confirmed upon stepping on a strangers cut toenail. The hotel room had crayon all over a few of the walls. I understand a former guest is at fault, but wouldn't you fix this? Only some bathroom lights works. Oh and the bathroom. I am attaching pics. The toilet is not even bolted to the floor. The toilet lid is broken. There are tiles missing on the wall so it shows the toilets plumbing. The shower is ok but a bit grimy. The fridge that is provided needed to be wiped down in and out. There were blinds that at one time were on a window, just on the floor now. They do have cable but that means 4 channels. They have Wifi, assuming a island "native" child didn't go take a bat to the satellites and knock it out (yes this happened.) Some of the floor tiles in the room are chipped which just makes it look bad when it is actually newly renovated. There is a closet but they just have a bunch of damaged dry cleaning hangers for you to use. They also provide a blow dryer but I would bring your own. Mine was half broken and held together with electrical tape. Our first room had a nice working safe. Our second rooms safe was rusted and did not work. Lastly the rug on the floor is seriously stained. I could assume it is water but who really knows. Overall this is a fairly cute place with nice location but do not stay here. I actually recommend the Buchaneer. This place just has no amenities and the only one (the bar) closed for good two days ago. Sleep is just impossible here and nearby restaurants are horrible.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Janelle D
, Director of Sales at Club Comanche, responded to this review, July 11, 2012
Thank you very much for your response. All your suggestions and observations were already passed on to the management of the hotel and a variety of improvements have been realized already like to the change of the bar concessionary with new limted hours and different type of music.
We would be very happy to welcoming you soon again at the Club Comanche in order for you to experience all the changes.
Northof Boston
Reviewed March 22, 2012

I was on STX to meet up with a group of friends, some staying at Caravelle and some islanders. I chose the Comanche because the Caravelle was booked- lucky break for me! I had reserved a Jr. Suite, but when asked was told that that level room didn't have a TV viewable from bed, which was important to me. They quickly offered me another room, not a suite, but a beautiful room. As the week went on, I was THRILLED to be in the room I had, as the suites are situated closer to the boardwalk and would be noisy. I had a great nights sleep every night- the most bothersome noise was the rooster that cackled every morning at 3:30am- nothing anyone can do about that! There is no elevator, be prepared to carry your luggage up 2 or 3 flights of stairs- my suitcase weighed 48 pounds ( a woman needs shoes, right?)... The bar at the Comanche was great- St. Patricks Day in STX is not to be missed. I would definitely stay here again!

Room Tip: Historical rooms on the second floor are probably your best bet- 3rd floor is a long way to carry su...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
, Director of Sales at Club Comanche, responded to this review, July 11, 2012
Thank you very much for your comments and will be happy to wlecoming you again at the
Club Comanche Hotel.
San Antonio, Texas
Reviewed March 2, 2012

The Hotel was rustic and beautiful. Like a trip back in time. Very clean and had great service.
I could only find a couple things wrong with it. It was impossible to sleep in. Roosters crowing (5:30 am) and loud noices from the street. And the foot steps on floor above. If not for these issues I would rate it a 5. The hotel has an old world, rustic tuscan feel about it. Comfortable bed. Very nice linen for bed and luxurious towels. Loved the antiques all through out. Didn't go swimming but honestly it should be alot cleaner. The sides had green algae on them. Wasn't appealing. I would defiantly stay here again. Weekdays preferably. My stay was a Friday nite. The women at desk at check in was an angel. We had a suite. Room 3.

Room Tip: Suite on third floor, corner room. Room 3 was beautiful but loud. Make sure you let them know you wa...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank hughesgang
Jst01, Director of Sales at Club Comanche, responded to this review, March 4, 2012
Thank you very much for your response, we are always trying our best to keep pur clients as happy and satisfied as possible and are always very happy about each comment which is the only way to maintain and improve our product and service.
We are looking forward to welcoming you again soon at the Club Comanche Hotel.

Director of Sales