New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Ranked #6 of 15 Hotels in Christiansted
Romeo, Michigan, United States
“Peaceful and Exquisite”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2013

I stayed at Chenay Bay the last week of June with my family. Everything about Chenay was perfect to us. We loved the rolling paved walkways that were throughout the resort. All the plants, trees, beachfront and terrain are picture perfect on the resorts rolling acres. St Croix and Chenay Bay is so beautiful, you never want your vacation to end. We were perfectly happy hanging around the resort all day swimming in the ocean off the restaurant/ bar and swimming pool. There is a beautiful reef 20 feet out with colorful fish and coral. As well, as a sea turtle among many other exotic forms of sea life and a view that is breath taking. The staff and service at Chenay Bay are so helpful and kind. If you have a question about anything from what to do or see while staying on St. Croix they are very knowledgeable and helpful. The bartender, Alden was very friendly and was so great to my family as with all the guests we noticed. He has an outgoing personality that made our stay extra great considering he helped us throughout our stay with everything from places to visit to just great service! The rooms are very nice and the kitchenettes were so great to have. We were able to save alot of money by buying groceries. It is also very safe. There are a few areas on the island that are not the safest but at Chenay Bay we never had to worry. If you have a family and children I highly recommend staying at Chenay Bay and visiting the surreal island of St. Croix!!

Room Tip: We stayed in a cottage close to front desk. It was very nice and clean. Cottage #28
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (74)
Dublin, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2013

Nice, laid back setup. Friendly staff. Quiet location on the beach. The restaurant is good and the bar can be busy ! Although any place on the islands can be unsafe, Chenay does a good job of keeping an eye on cabins, vehicles, and guests. Additional quality restaurants are nearby. Rates are within seasonal swings. Plenty of parking at the property entrance. Large onsite laundry room. I am renting 3 cottages now and am very pleased, as is my crew.

Room Tip: Most cottages are located with a great view and easy access.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Salt Lake City, Utah
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

I spent a week in July with my two grand daughters (3 and 7) at Chenay Bay and had a great time. The individual cabins are great for children- there is a working kitchen and refrigerator. The property is set right on the beach which has calm water for little swimmers. It was the off season, so the restaurant wasn't extremely busy, but we were able to get what we needed. The pool is on a hill overlooking the bay and is very well kept up. The employees were very helpful and gracious. Thanks for spoiling my girls, Angelique! The reviews I read before going shared concerns about a few things- the towels are not the newest and the beds are a bit hard, but these things were not a problem for us at all, because of all the positive aspects. The rooms and bathrooms are a bit small, but we spent very little time there, so that wasn't a problem either. It is about 3 miles outside of town, so a rental car is necessary to get around the island. The only annoyance was that the tv got only one channel. i asked them to fix that, they said they did, but it never changed. We spent our time exploring, instead of tv watching, which is just fine with me.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
san francisco
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2013

my sister and i stayed here on a RCI timeshare exchange in june 2013. i was a little wary after reading reviews, but honestly, i can't see what all the fuss was about! i am a disabled traveler, so my planning can be very intense. i knew this was NOT an accessible place, and was prepared to adapt as i needed to. turns out, i needed to do very little! they upgraded us upon arrival from a studio to a one bedroom, thinking this would accomodate me better. ( it did) we were near the pool, had a view of the ocean, and a lovely room with an outside shower as well as a regular inside the bathroom shower. since there were stairs, i could not take my mobility scooter into the room as is my usual, to recharge at night. they graciously made arrangements for my sister to leave it each night under the shelter of the restaurant in case of rain, and plugged in. as the week wore on, and taking it in and out of the car in order to re-charge it got old ( it weighs 170 pounds), they not only allowed us dispensation to park next to our room ( you must park in a central lot and walk to your cottage), they supplied a 25 ft outdoor extension cord so we could park it next to us and run the cord into the car to shelter and recharge at night! thank you so much!!!! debbie, the manager did all she could to accomodate my needs. shermine at the desk upgraded us. the view was amazing, the snorkeling good, the beach beautiful. the room was great, no complaints. each time we had any small issue, they responded immediately, instead of "island time". angelique the bartender was great! food at the cafe was good, altho the mosquitos and noseeums definitely won!!! but they handed out cans of " OFF" as requested. maybe some citronella candles might help? the staff was all great and very helpful. it's only about a 10 minute drive to christiansted ( as long as you don't miss the first right!!) as an added unexpected bonus, on sunday night, our 2nd night, a very good blues/jazz ( my fave music) band played live in the restaurant. hope they come back!! didn't even have to leave the property for my favorite music. it was excellent! would recommend this place, and go back! everyone on staff ( sorry if i can't remember your names!) was very helpful and addressed whatever help i needed. try a "cruzan confusion" at the bar. go angelique!! and the bed was the most comfortable of a 3 1/2 week vacation!

Room Tip: we were in cottage 8. nice location, view, air conditioning in the bedroom worked intermittenty, b...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank mebedivin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2013

My husband and I stayed at Chenay bay for 5 days and we wish we could have stay longer.
The place is quiet, simple and beautiful
Staff is very helpful but of course they get things done in Island Time.
If you are looking for a quiet, private, and Caribean like vacation, this is the place to be
You will get breathtaking views without leaving your cottage balconi.
The bar is great and they make the best pain killer in the Island. You can get your drink and have it by the beach or pool.
The cottages are well maintained with beautiful furniture.
We loved our trip and will be back next year

• Stayed May 2013
2 Thank Manatelly
Phoenix, Arizona
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2013

Check in is at 4PM and check out is at 11AM. Don't know why it takes 5 hours to prep rooms. There aren't that many at this property and other places clearly does it in 3 hours. We were not allowed to check in until around 4PM, even though we observed there were tons of rooms unoccupied during our stay. The cottages were ordinary...nothing special. Walking into the room, it felt like a 2** motel. Some of the items and equipment in the room weren't working such as the phone. The shower had no pressure and the fixtures were rusted which is kind of understandable because of the cottages proximity to the ocean. There was only 1 outlet to use in the bed area. Good thing I had a travel 3-to-1 splitter to add some much needed outlets to charge our phones. We've visited this property a couple years ago and the place has run down a lot since then. The beds were so hard that my wife and I woke everyday with major back pain. I also saw pieces of paper stuck in cracks throughout the room. The purpose seemed to be to keep the bugs out. I would have thought some silicon or caulk would have been more appropriate and not so tacky.

The rooms weren't really cleaned while we stayed. Trash was taken out and the bed was remade but there was a dead bug on the floor when we arrived and it was still there 4 days later when we departed. There was also a razor head behind the toilet when we got there and again, it was still there after leaving. There was a bunch of hair on the blow dryer from the previous guest (or guests). This proved to me that the level of cleaning wasn't where it should be. Orbitz had the property listed as a 4**** hotel. At Expedia it is listed as a 3***, this is really a 2**, maybe a 2**-1/2*.

The beach at Chenay; however, is one of the best on St. Croix. Our room had a partial ocean view which was nice. The place is also really quiet and secluded for those that like to get away. Our cellphones; however, still worked. We stayed last year at a property on the North side of the island and had no cell service anytime we were at the property. Chenay's location is also great for water activities and things to do in St. Croix east end. The restaurant on property is also really good and the food is affordable. Overall, I don't think we will be returning to Chenay. The price was average but we are at the point in our lives where we prefer to stay in hotels that are truly 4**** (or even 3-1/2***) and above. If you aren't looking for anything special though, this is a good choice. Cheers!

Room Tip: Someone told me there are renovated rooms closer to the front. You may want to ask for one of those...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars
    • 1 of 5 stars
1 Thank J J
Largo, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2013

My husband and I stayed here 28 years ago and as a surprise I'm treating him by taking him back for our 30th wedding anniversary. I've been reading the reviews and am disappointed in those who did not appreciate what the resort really has to offer. Go beyond the 5+ star ratings. The resort has always boasted about it's privacy and seclusion. Very laid back. Yes it has it's share of issues but what resort doesn't? If you dont have that kind of mentality, go elsewhere. This place is the best if you want to be able to put on your flip flops and feel at home. I remember that the kitchen was small and not updated but who cares? The no-see-ems and the mosquitos are horrible but you bring bug spray. So the towels are thin. Ask for more. Stop thinking foofoo and start thinking fun. Relax , unwind and leave the cell phone packed and your computer at home. This is the kind of place that's a vacation for us. Hands down.

• Stayed February 2013