Club Comanche(Christiansted)
$179
$140
  • Breakfast included
Hotel Caravelle on St. Croix(Christiansted)(Great Value!)
$149
$145
$225
Travelocity
  • Pool
Holger Danske Hotel(Christiansted)
$116
Orbitz.com
Hotel on the Cay(Christiansted)(Great Value!)
$151
  • Pool
The Buccaneer St Croix(Christiansted)
$299
$1,124
Cancelon
$199
TripAdvisor
All reviewsthe cottagescheney baybug spraygreen cayno see umstime sharelaid backnew ownersstove topocean viewrental carcleaned dailywater toyssmall islandwest endrestaurant barfamily vacation
Reviewed May 17, 2013

My husband and I stayed here 28 years ago and as a surprise I'm treating him by taking him back for our 30th wedding anniversary. I've been reading the reviews and am disappointed in those who did not appreciate what the resort really has to offer. Go beyond the 5+ star ratings. The resort has always boasted about it's privacy and seclusion. Very laid back. Yes it has it's share of issues but what resort doesn't? If you dont have that kind of mentality, go elsewhere. This place is the best if you want to be able to put on your flip flops and feel at home. I remember that the kitchen was small and not updated but who cares? The no-see-ems and the mosquitos are horrible but you bring bug spray. So the towels are thin. Ask for more. Stop thinking foofoo and start thinking fun. Relax , unwind and leave the cell phone packed and your computer at home. This is the kind of place that's a vacation for us. Hands down.

• Stayed: February 2013
1  Thank Patticakes1956
Reviewed May 7, 2013

Just came back from a vacation at the Chenay Bay resort, here is the objective review:
At night the place is riddle with mosquitos and things that bite you, the buildings are old, the bathroom doesnt have AC so if you leave the window open it turns into a very humid area, in which you can see condensation forming on the wall adjacent to your room which is eventually going to turn into mold. The grounds are kept clean, the gardens look taken care off, the restaurant has daily specials and prices that resemble those around the rest of the island, the place is about 15 mins drive from Christiansted, an hour away from Frederiksted the second town in the island all the way on the west end of the island, 10 mins from the east end of the island.

Now here is the subjective review:
What makes this resort worth the while are the people, on the first day we arrived the check in lady was very pleasant, her and the security guard where honest when answering our questions. The guy at the bar didnt hesitate to give us a bucket of ice when asked and even refilled our soda before we headed back to the room due to the incredible amount of mosquitos that were eating us alive (BRING BUG SPRAY), on our second to last day we got our rental car REALLY dirty, the grounds keeper helped us by letting us wash the car with their hose and even use their vacuum to clear the car, the housekeeping staff cleaned our rooms everyday, and on a particular day even washed our dishes (which I never expected them to do).

Unfortunately I didnt get to swim in the bay so I cant comment on that.

My conclusion is that yes the place is run down and needs some fixing, but for the price we paid and the way we were treated I was more than happy with my stay there and would come back to it.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 26, 2013

My husband and I kept saying "if someone would just come in and put a little bit of money into this place it could be really nice". The beach and pool are great, and we enjoyed the food and wait staff at the restaurant. However, the rooms leave a lot to be desired. Based on reviews, we requested and received a "renovated room". Our phone didn't work the entire week, so every time we had a problem we had to walk down to the front desk to talk with them about it. Our shower didn't work on day one, but it was fixed in 30 minutes. Our remote was missing, but it was replaced within an hour. We only had one actual pillow on our two beds for the entire family -- and we didn't notice this until the office had closed, so we had to sleep on shams (eek) the first night. The towels were thin and worn -- I found a lot of hairs that did not belong to my family on them. We encountered a cockroach in our bathroom (which is hard to avoid in those kinds of environments). We decided to get the villa so we could buy groceries and cook. If you are thinking of doing this, there are a few things you should know. If you don't have a car, you really are stuck at this location. They offer a shuttle for two for $24 to go to the grocery. Once at the grocery, a box of cereal costs $8. Island prices for sure. We bought the staples, but our cooking experience was rough going. The two burner stovetop is crammed behind the door -- a toaster and a coffee pot are on a shelf above the stove and a microwave takes the entire counter space. Every morning, we had to shuffle all of the items to have coffee, toast, and eggs -- you just can't use it all at the same time. Meanwhile, the door keeps falling into the cook unless you prop it up with a chair. The furniture on the balcony: two plastic chairs and one plastic table. We spent a lot of time out there -- it would have been great to have comfortable outdoor chairs. A local gave us the update that the place is going through transition and has new management. My advice -- wait until they work the kinks out.

Room Tip: Room 50 would have been great -- full view of the ocean, steps from the pool, and with its own parking spot. That said, I didn't see the inside!
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank jbatesdc
Kelley E, Public Relations Manager at Chenay Bay Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded May 2, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience and travel tips! Our current management team does try their best to accommodate guests when a problem is brought to their attention, such as your phone and pillows. We are truly striving to create enjoyable vacations in St. Croix - we are sorry you had some issues, but we appreciate the feedback as we will use it to continue to improve Chenay Bay Beach Resort.

Reviewed April 10, 2013

This was a dream trip for my husband and me! For the price and location, we were more than satisfied with our stay. Our cottage was clean and had all the amenities we needed (although the microwave was from 1980 and the phone didn't work--we didn't care!) The front desk workers were helpful if not overly friendly and the staff at Mahi's was wonderful and helpful in giving good advice on what to do on the island. We didn't encounter any hotels that had as great of a location. It was quiet and beautiful. All my husband and I wanted was a romantic getaway and we certainly got that!! Do be sure to rent a car, as anything you'll want to get to is miles away.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank BeckyD279

Thank you for sharing your experience! We are delighted that you enjoyed the island - it sounds like you love all the things about our location that we do! Please come back and see us again!

Reviewed April 9, 2013

I knew from other reviews that this isn't a 4 star resort but I'd be hard pressed to give it 1. And that would only be for the lovely beach where it's located. The hotel is in bankruptcy/receivership. Our room was dirty, (hairs on the phone there when we arrived and stayed through departure), towels were almost see-through, shower very difficult to use-plate holding the faucet was totally detached from the wall-, mold in the shower. I think the staff did the best they could under the circumstances and were very friendly.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank queenmrr

We apologize that your experience at Chenay Bay was not ideal. Our team does try very hard to make sure everyone has an enjoyable vacation. We hope that given the issues you still enjoyed St. Croix and return to the island. Thank you so much for your feedback as we do read and keep all of it to share with staff to continue to improve Chenay Bay Beach Resort.