After several previous wonderful visits to Chenay Bay Resort, recent reviews caused some concerns. Now, after spending over two weeks at Chenay Bay, all fears were COMPLETELY UNFOUNDED. Well, except maybe for the sand fleas which are all over the amazing Island. They do seem discerning on whom they attack the most, as my bf remained unscathed while I brought home a number of unwanted souvenirs, even tho’ I used every type of repellant, including the sesame oil & lotion. The bites, however, were a small price to pay. And the remaining itching triggered smiles for the memories of those 17 days.
There has been upgrading; our cottage was absolutely terrific, & the pool was as clean & beautiful as ever. The previously seldom-used hot tub has been replaced with a setting for ‘ceremonies’ & the west end now has seating additions which are lovely. The grounds are immaculate, & the varied & beautiful flora is as well attended as our spoiled home gardens. The beach was well-kept on a daily basis & the chairs, some older ones as well as new additions, were all in good condition & plentiful.
My bf snorkels from sunrise until the magnificent sunsets. He saw a variety of sea-life every day from turtles to rays to rare white urchins. I became friends with a tiny baby gecko on our deck who would come down a post when I called him, & every morning (we seemed to always be the first up) a dove awaited us for her(?) morning cracker, chasing away other doves & once even a mongoose. There are presently 3 kittens at the restaurant. They are sweet, shy & polite…grateful to those who give them scraps & easily dissuaded by those who do not. They are in good health & well-fed.
Mahia Restaurant has a terrific chef. Her creations are varied, well-presented & very, very good. They are, however, also very, very over-priced, even appetizers & breakfasts. On previous visits we ate every meal at the restaurant. We did not do so on this visit. Fortunately, heeding the reviews we had mailed staples in advance. Those care-packages, combined with 3 visits to grocery stores, made the in-cottage meals a good alternative to always dining at Mahia’s, which also on occasion, with the capable but busy bartenders also acting as servers, had unbearably slow service. There may be changes in the Restaurant in the making. Hopefully, such changes will not include the very accommodating & personable current Restaurant/Bar staff.
The staff at Chenay Bay Resort continually has received rave reviews. The reviews are true & deserved. The collective word ‘Staff’ includes each & every single employee. Having such a long (but not even long enough) visit, we were lucky enough to become acquainted with those in the Office, the ladies who kept our cottage ‘a home’, the truly great guys in charge of security & maintenance, the knowledgeable & affable grounds/beach keepers, & as previously stated, those at the Restaurant. They ALL were a big part of making for a wonderful, relaxing 2+ weeks.
Finally, we made some wonderful friends…too many to list here, which we hope to see again next year. However, our e-mail/contact list did not make it home with us. There was a sunset picture promised to all. It is included here although taken on a previous trip. Nothing in it has changed to present. Chenay Bay Resort remains a treasure.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Nestled on a hillside overlooking the Caribbean Sea Chenay Bay Beach Resort is only 3 miles from Christiansted. Guests revel in the privacy of their West Indian style cottages with kitchenettes and front porch. Amenities include an outdoor infinity edged pool, hot tub, tennis courts, and direct beach access. Savor the flavors of the Caribbean, enjoy tropical drinks at Mahi’s beachfront restaurant, and bar at Chenay Bay Beach Resort. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Travelocity, Expedia, Hotwire, Hotels.com, TravelUp, getaroom.com, TripOnline SA, Evoline ltd, Cheap Tickets, HotelQuickly and Cancelon so you can book your Chenay Bay Beach Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Chenay Bay Beach Hotel Christiansted
- Chenay Bay Beach Resort St. Croix/Christiansted, U.S. Virgin Islands