“Chenay bay was pretty good”

Chenay Bay Beach Resort
Ranked #6 of 14 Hotels in Christiansted
Seattle
“Chenay bay was pretty good”
Reviewed April 3, 2012

I was also concerned about the reviews about this place, but they were just fine. Again, if you're looking for the four seasons, book elsewhere. if you're a normal traveler who doesn't spend too much time in the room, this will be fine.
We booked a garden view room, but got in, checked in and found we had a REALLY great ocean view cottage that was also steps from the pool.

the rooms can use some love, but ours was huge, had everything we needed and we were fine. there were scuffs on the walls and the bathroom needed to be remmodeled, and the toilet ran the entire time we were there, but it didn't bother us much.
The pool area is nce, but stake your chair out early or you're screwed for the day.
Mahi's was where we spent most of our time. The food was good, the drinks were great and the staff is EXCELLENT.

I can't stress this enough, if you don't bring bug repellants, DO IT. Also, if you're allergic to anything BRING YOUR MEDS. we failed to bring ours and we both busted out in hives and rashes from the sand fleas, which sucked, because we had to wait nine hours for medication to be transferred to STX. This is island wide, not specifically at Chenay Bay, so bring your spray EVERYWHERE. I'd actually recommend lemongrass oil. Skin so soft doesn't work, off doesn't work, sesame seed oil kinda works, but no matter what, you'll get bitten.

Getting back to the property, I'd return to Chenay Bay for sure.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
5 Thank lisadanger

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (80)
Pooler, Georgia
Reviewed March 27, 2012

We have just returned from a visit to St. Croix. We had reservations at Chenay Bay and after reading some of the reviews, I was a little concerned-----however, we found it a wonderful place! The view of the Bay is just awesome. The cottage was perfect - I was ready to buy it and stay on there!! The beach is beautiful. The pool still needs some work but it was always clean and was enjoyed by all the people staying there. We could tell that some of the units needed some work but there were people working on things every day so hopefully someone will buy it and get it back to it's best. Hope everyone enjoys it as much as we did!!!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Jdad38
Waukesha, Wisconsin
Reviewed March 26, 2012

Beach is among the best of all of the resorts. The entire staff is great! Very laid back atmosphere. The beach bar, Mahi really needs some updating, but is lots of fun! GREAT bartenders, especially Will. Most important for people with allergies I would recommend another destination entirely. The bugs, (hopefully sand fleas and not bedbugs) are really serious for those who are allergic to them. I wore insect repellant the whole time and came home with bites everywhere. My husband has none! Tomorrow I head to the doc to see what it is. As good as the food is - "Cheeseburger in Paradise" restaurant is infested! - not a resort restaurant, but a nearby one.

Room Tip: King rooms are not really Kings, possibly queen size beds and very small overall space. I would upg...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank bluepalmtravel
Usvi
Reviewed February 23, 2012

This was our second visit to the resort. It won't be our last. The setting is perfect. The resort has some rough spots in the units but nothing that really bothered us. Very clean. Grounds staff and housekeepers very friendly. Typical Crucians. Complex is for sale and hopefully the new management will continue to improve it. We've been coming to St Croix for many years and will probably always stay here. Recommended unless you need everything just perfect.

• Stayed February 2012
5 Thank osff
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed February 12, 2012

This is a nice location, not too far from Christiansted but not in the heart of it, nice to get away. The cottage arrangement is nice, with two rooms to a cottage.
I did end up changing rooms though, having booked an Ocean View room only to find that the ocean was barely visible through some trees - instead the roof of the cottage in front of mine was. The second cottage I was in had a better and more open view. Also, the furnishings were much more modern, so realise that not all the rooms are equal even within the same classification.
Shermine at the reception was very helpful and friendly.
Diane at the water sports was also very nice and provided good information.
The beach is extremely long so you can find a spot for yourself. On the one weekend day I was there, there were a number of local families with children too, as it is publicly accessible.
There is good snorkelling on the right side of the hotel's beach, by the point where the surf is.
I recommend borrowing a kayak and snorkel gear and paddling over to Green Cay - ask Diane where to go, there is only one beach on the West end of it and some decent snorkelling there.
The restaurant has a similar selection to the average restaurants on the island and as expensive as elsewhere; nothing special.
I would definitely recommend staying outside of town, especially if you are looking for quiet in a nice setting. The Carambola Beach Resort is also very nice.

Room Tip: Ask about whether there is a view and when the room was last renovated.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled solo
6 Thank akselk
La Follette, Tennessee
Reviewed February 7, 2012

My husband and I stayed at Chenay Bay December 17-21 for our honeymoon, and I couldn't say enough about how much we loved it. I read all the reviews before we went (perhaps too much) and was pretty nervous before going due to the negative comments. That nervousness was for nothing; the place is great. Our cottage was number 23 (I think) and it was lovely-not one of the recently renovated ones but great none the less. AC worked great, big screen tv with cable, comfy bed, and a little kitchen area with everything you need. Bathroom was a bit small but not even kind of a big deal (was stocked daily with towels and shampoo). Someone on here mentioned that housecleaning didn't wash their dirty dishes for them; I thought this was an odd expectation to say the least but housekeeping DID wash our dishes when we were gone for the day. Needless to say they went above and beyond. Power did go out one night (during Monday night football!!) but not the hotels fault this happens often on St. Croix. Absolutely loved Mahi's (restaurant at Chenay Bay). The food is kind of pricey but we went to tons of restaurants on the island and I think you'll find this to be the same everywhere. The staff was unbelievably friendly and we spent more time there then we had ever planned on! As previously mentioned the food on the island is somewhat expensive (we're budget travelers) so we bought bagels and eggs to cook breakfast in the cottage everyday). Some people on here recommended Schooner's to purchase groceries; we went there and their prices are outrageous! If you're looking for reasonably priced groceries I recommend Plaza Extra. The no see um's are an annoying problem, but as I read many reviews before we left, my husband and I brought Off deep woods spray with us and got maybe 5 bites between the 2 of us...no biggie. And yes Mahi's keeps bottles of the spray all over the restaurant in case you forget to bring your own. Chenay does only have two kayaks available; I was worried about this, but the wind was abnormally high on our trip and rough sea kept us from kayaking anyway. The normally clear water was quite churned up with sand due to the wind, but we visited many beaches on St. Croix and this was the case at every one. The beach at Chenay is shallow for quite a ways out, very lovely, but grassy bottom so I would bring water shoes as we did. Every morning a maintenance worker raked the sand and removed sea weed, thus the beach was lovely. yes the beach chairs could stand to be replaced, but honestly they are fine (I'm on vacation-not going to nit pick every little thing). We spoke often with the bartenders, one who said that Chenay is in financial straits with the bank and, as such, only gets a certain amount of money each month to do only "absolutely necessary" improvements. I tell you honestly that looking at the resort you can't tell..grounds lovely, staff awesome, hot tub has been removed and replaced with a sitting area, pool was great (lights and infinity portions up and running). While on St. Croix we went to Tamarind Reef for drinks and a snack (had been contemplating staying there instead of Chenay) so glad we chose Chenay Bay! Speaking of drinks-I would like to recommend you try a painkiller-served everywhere on St. Croix and absolutely delicious! While we were on the island we rented a car from Judy of Croix; nicest people you'd ever want to meet! Dropped our car off at the hotel and came into our cottage to tell us all about St. Croix and the variety of places to go. We went to Sandy Point national wildlife refuge which was stunning, went to the Domino Club to see the famous beer-drinking pigs (and have a shot of home made "mama wanna", walked and shopped in Christiansted and Fredricksted, and took a sunset sail on the historic schooner "Roseway". We also paid the $4 to use the facilities at the Buccaneer Resort; nice beaches but a little to exclusive for our taste. Absolutely recommend Chenay Bay!

Room Tip: The hills are brutal at Chenay Bay, so I would request one on a flat section!
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
6 Thank dawndeezy
Michelle S, Manager at Chenay Bay Beach Resort, responded to this review, February 8, 2012
Congratulations on your recent marriage! We are so happy you chose to spend it at Chenay Bay and that it was a good experience. We look forward to having you come back and stay for another vacation!
New York City, New York
Reviewed January 17, 2012

My husband I travel about three times per year. We visited Chenay Bay in September 2011 as a surprise birthday trip (for me). I have to say that this was hands-down our favorite vacation. The resort is made up of individual cottages. Ours was closest to the beach (#5...perfect location, renovated too). It was nice, clean, and modest. There was no wi-fi which worked well with our idea of disconnecting from our fast-paced NY lifestyle. (If you want you can go sit in the lobby area to access the wi-fi). The kitchenette was adequate. The grounds were beautiful. I'll get to the drawbacks but first the perks... Perhaps the best aspect of Chenay Bay is the people. Everyone, and I mean EVERYONE, was so kind and helpful and just plain friendly! The housekeeping staff were very accommodating to our schedule, waiting or coming back to our cottage as needed. The restaurant staff gave great suggestions and conversation, making us want to hang out there more than we had initially intended. The manager was also very friendly and helped us celebrate my birthday. She has one of those outgoing, friendly personalities and really made my husband and I feel a part of the Chenay Bay family. They had game nights and live impromptu music from local musicians (I was so sweetly serenaded with the happy birthday song in three different languages on the night of my birthday!) We rented a car for our seven days there and ended up exploring the entire island. I suppose the biggest and only drawback of the resort was those damn no-see-ums! These are tiny flying bugs that bite us unsuspecting travelers, like myself when we least expect it. Their bites itch worse than mosquito bites! Chenay Bay was great with addressing this however. They kept out easily- accessible communal cans of Off bug spray for guests to use. So even if you take a late-night walk on the beach, as you pass the bar and head onto the sand, you'll be able to spray on your layer of protection, compliments of Chenay Bay. (We still kept our own cans inside our cottage and for when we went exploring or into town). There are also great places to explore and visit in St. Croix, it is one of the most beautiful places we've ever visited. Everywhere was flush with amazing natural beauty. For example, one particular day, we took the complimentary kayaks out to the nearby island for some snorkeling. (Wear water shoes if you go here, there's a lot of shells.) It was wonderful to "sail" across the bay right from our resort beach. Another day (my birthday!!) we went to Paul and Jill's Riding Stables. This was quite on the other side of St. Croix. Once we met Jill, we realized that the drive was completely worth it! Jill was awesome, great personality and she certainly knew her stuff! She took us out alone, which she does not regularly do, and was able to tell us about literally every plant or fruit or flower we passed. She explained the amazing slave ruins we passed along the way. She then took us onto the beach, where we took pictures with our horses. The ride was leisurely and extensive. This was just an amazing experience! As far as food... the restaurant food at the resort was excellent (and so were the drinks), but we ate their only a couple of times. For most of our meals, we went shopping at the local Pueblo supermarket and did our own cooking in the cottage. We did however try Ace Roti Shop in Christiansted. The roti shop is close to the resort but is not easy to find! We must have passed the turn off for it about five times before we actually saw the small sign leading to Ace. But when we did actually taste our rotis...mmm, mmm, mmm.....DELICIOUS! Well worth the trouble. So what else can I say? Clearly, we loved Chenay Bay and the island of St. Croix. We definitely look forward to returning in the future.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple