“Historical Must See”

Fort Christiansvaern
More attraction details
Owner description: An imposing yellow Danish fort built to defend the Christiansted harbor.
Reviewed November 16, 2012

This is a self guided must see touring site. I was greeted by a very friendly young lady who told me how much it was (only $3!!!) and gave me a folder with the history of the Fort along with a Map and background of each area. Yes there were also tall informational placards in designated areas but I preferred the folder (which stated the same exact information and much more).
I know some posted pictures which were funny and some made comments on how cool it was in the dungeon and the echo it provided. I did not get this laughing fun out of my walk through. Instead I got an eye opener on how history can show the worst side of us. The dungeon was the worst for me. Mind you I am only 5 ft 4 inches and I had to crouch so as not to hit my head on the beautifully arched ceilings. The fact that grown men/women (slaves) were put down there with only one small window was unbelievable to me (the one it contains today is apparently double the size as what it was originally) and you have to crouch down to enter and exit otherwise you can give yourself a good concussion. The Upstairs cells were for minor offenses but again the slave could not stand up in them unless they were only 4 feet tall. It was a sad but then good reminder of how far we have come.

Then came all the uplifting and breathtaking views up top. Of course all of the views were for a military benefit.

This really is a part of St. Croix history that is a must see - both the good and the bad part of history. But such a great reminder of where we all come from. Yes there were some areas that were closed off to the public but that is like any historical land mark here in the US. There are always rooms that they close off to the public. But there is so much to see and it was only $3 and you can go back with the receipt for 3 days.

There are newer reviews for Fort Christiansvaern

Reviewed November 6, 2012

This famous historic site in Christiansted town, St. Croix, USVI offers a glimpse back into time. The fort itselfg, wonderfully preserved and maintained, is a great example of Danish Caribbean military architecture. The other exhibits also offer a unique historical view into the Colonial period of the island-a period not well known outside the community which is both interesting as well as instructive. The Park complex also includes the nearby Custom house and Scale house. Do not miss this historical gem if you visit St. Croix.

Reviewed October 30, 2012

While looking around the city and then getting some food we parked very close to this monument not sure that there was going to be parking in the back we parked on a side street. The tire on the jeep was stolen off the car and the whole car was tossed. Lucky for us I have every thing in my back pack! We were told at the police station that this happens all around the island and cost us 600$. The rental insurance doesn't cover tires. The police recommend with soft top jeeps you leave the car unlocked so you don't have to pay for the plastic too. So don't stay too long!

Reviewed October 29, 2012

It was only $3 to enter the fort. It's a small fort but it's beautifully maintained. We lead photography tours to St Croix and we spend a couple hours just photographing within Fort Christiansvaern. It's seeped with interesting history and the Danish architecture is just gorgeous. It's at a perfect vantage position to overlook the water, a little bit of the city and a perfect view of Protestant Cay. It's also right downtown within walking distance of the hotels and restaurants.

Reviewed October 7, 2012

The fort is a Danish colonial landmark administered by
the National Park Service. It is small enough to hold kids' interest with canons and a dungeon. There is a very interesting display on St. Croix history. It's exciting to read the history and look out the window to see many of the old colonial buildings have survived. It's very picturesque with the yellow fort surrounded by the bright tropical blue harbor.

1  Thank billscottKalamazoo