We picked The Palms after reading the other Trip Advisor reviews -- primarilary due to the snorkeling right off the beach and the reviews of the snorkel tours given by owner Chuck. We also like its close proximity to Christiansted. The hotel and the location exceeded our expectations. It has a great feeling of privacy and seclusion, but it is so darn convenient to everything.
Owners Chuck and Joyce couldn't have been more gracious, from the great snorkel tour to the jellyfish first aid! All the staff was super friendly and helpful, and the atmosphere was casual and informal.
The grounds are beautiful and well-kept, and our newly refurbished room was perfect (only exception was hair in the shower drain, which was disgusting and never really resolved by housekeeping). Our ocean front view couldn't have been better, and the balcony was a perfect spot in the afternoon when it was in the shade.
The food in the restaurant was pretty good -- better than in many hotels, and the drinks were terrific. The open air dining area and bar can't be topped.
One of the great things about The palms is the abundant wildlife. Pelicans, turtles, egrets and herons, igauna, dogs, and of couse all the great fish along the reef. The beach is beautiful and sandy, but don't expect the sand to extend into the water, or for the water to be typical Caribbean calm. The Palms is on a cove on the northeast side of the island with a great reef system, so the water is a little choppy and the floor of the ocean covered with rocks and coral. It is still a good, but not great, swimming beach. But if you want to snokel right off the beach, this is your spot.
I would totally recommend The Palms, and I would stay there again without hesitation. St. Croix is my favorite spot so far in the Caribbean: mellow, not overbuilt (hardly a chain anything anywhere we went), and the friendliest people everywhere.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Palms at Pelican Cove sits on 7 acres of coconut palms and white sand beach, and is just 3 miles west of Christiansted. There is swimming in front of the property, and with Long Reef just a few yards off shore, excellent snorkeling (day and night) is also available. We provide complimentary snorkel gear and tours of the reef. Our freshwater pool is one of the largest on the island and is regularly used by SCUBA for introductory dive lessons. We have a tennis court and complimentary gear. There are many hiking trails on the island and we regularly make excursions with guests. There are 40 spacious rooms at the hotel, and all offer panoramic oceanfront views from expansive terraces. All rooms are air conditioned, and are equipped with a small refrigerator and coffee maker. The Palms Restaurant is located on property and serves breakfast, lunch and dinner. The Mahogany Bar is located beachside, serves up wonderful beverages, and has a late night bar menu. The front desk is open 24/7 and security is provided around the clock. Wireless internet access is complimentary. The Palms won the 2010 Best Beach Resort and Best Hotel on St. Croix as voted by readers of the Virgin Islands Daily News. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Orbitz, Kognitiv US Corp, BookIt.com, Hotels.com, Travelocity, Hotwire, Evoline ltd, Cheap Tickets, Cancelon, getaroom.com, HotelQuickly and TripOnline SA so you can book your The Palms at Pelican Cove reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Palms At Pelican Cove Hotel Christiansted
- Palms At Pelican Cove Christiansted
- Palms Pelican Cove
- Palms At Pelican Cove Hotel
- The Palms At Pelican Cove St. Croix/Christiansted, U.S. Virgin Islands