“Witness to a Sea Turtle Hatching”

The Palms at Pelican Cove
Ranked #2 of 14 Hotels in Christiansted
boston
“Witness to a Sea Turtle Hatching”
Reviewed January 18, 2009

My husband and I spent a wonderful week at the Palms in November. We came for the sun and the beach and the snorkeling. We experienced that and so much more! The owner and the staff at the Palms were wonderful and made us feel at home in their paradise as members of the Palms' "family". But the most memorable part was the night of the turtle hatching on hotel grounds - dozens and dozens of newborn sea turtles no bigger than oreos scrambling to find the ocean with the help of all of us there. It was an amazing experience and one we will never forget. I'm watching snow fall now and am wishing we were sitting on our private patio sipping Cruzan Rum Creams and listening to the waves rush the shore. We will definitely return!

• Liked — proximity to the ocean and respect for the ecology of the island by the owner/staff
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (236)
Tucson, Arizona
Reviewed January 18, 2009

We just got back yesterday from the Palms. The are evidently refurburshing their 2 buildings and we were in the one that they haven't started yet. The bed was horrible - they apologized but could not fix it. It was basically caved-in. We actually pulled in the lawn chaise lounges and tried to sleep on them. Our backs are hurting and will require a chiropractor. The celing fan would not run on anything but low as it was about to fall out of the ceiling. The AC made a racket when it came on which woke us up many times nightly. We had ants in the wall safe. The TV did not get (free) Fox which was bad for us due to the NFL playoffs being on Fox. Please no comments about not watching TV on vacation - we're football fans.

The beach is nice, but the actual swimming area is not, it's rocky and not sandy. The snorkeling was poor compared to other sites like Cane Bay on the island (which has improved since the last time we were there. The hotel's common areas and pool were nice and well maintained. The maids were nice and did a decent job most of the time.

Their restuarant was closed all week due to new requirements about kitchen hoods. As a result we had to leave for meals. They had a grill going at night with burgers, but the medium well done burgers we ordered the one night we "stayed home for dinner" came back basically raw after 40 minutes. We were told they didn't have decaff coffee by a waiter, and when we inquired with the bar manager he admitted they did but the waiter was too lazy to make it. That's not uncommon on the island (poor service). If you want good service, there are many real nice restaurants on the island (The Buccaneer's, Salud, Blue Moon, etc.).

Would I stay here again? Maybe if i was assured I was staying in a refurbished room with a decent bed.

• Liked — the beach
  • Disliked — thre bed
3 Thank skinks1
Albert48, Managing Director at The Palms at Pelican Cove, responded to this review, January 26, 2009
Sorry that I did not get to visit with you while you were here. I could not tell exactly what was wrong with the bed but we did make some adjustments. It is new custom made dark mahogany with a new deluxe ultra pillow top mattress from Serta - I'm sorry you found it uncomfortable. You were right about the ceiling fan and the AC – I was unaware of the problem but they have now both been fixed. I did not see any ants in the wall safe, but they are reasonably common in the Caribbean. We have a contract with Terminex, but they have to carefully balance using minimal pesticide and having a few sugar ants with using too much pesticide which can be harmful to the environment. The snorkeling is actually quite good on the reef in front of the hotel if you know where to go. I give complimentary snorkeling tours to our guests daily and would have enjoyed taking you out. I personally enjoy it here more than Cane Bay because of the access and the variety of marine life. Thank you for your kind comments on our common areas, pool and our maids - I will pass them on. I do apologize for our limited kitchen service while you were here. The mandated hood replacement was a terrible inconvenience for our guests and for us. But at least now it is completed and our restaurant is fully up. We did offer a continental breakfast and a shortened lunch and dinner menu while the main kitchen was down. Sorry about the decaf coffee comment – we do of course have it and our wait staff has been so informed. I do hope that you come back to see us again and give me the pleasure of showing you our reef.
Stockbridge, Georgia
Reviewed January 17, 2009

Oh my stars I don' t know where to start. This beautiful boutique treasure sits right on the ocean where you wake to a stunning sunrise, followed by an ocean-side breakfast from really nice folks. When we were in our room, it was so peaceful that we left the french doors wide open in order to listen to the ocean. We saw a rainbow on our first and last days as we sat through gentle showers on our patio. We snorkeled six out of eight days. There was a bed of lobster right off the edge of our patio. The hotel had a great sense of fun and customer service. We felt spoiled rotten, and we loved it. The hotel owner took us out snorkeling and I was addicted! I saw so many beautiful sights that I truly got misty and nostalgic when we had to leave. The island was friendly and the food was delicious - both at The Palms and in Christiansted. I agree with a previous post about how much nicer it was in Christiansted. We toured the rainforest and had seaside massages while we were there. It really felt more like a honeymoon than a vacation, and we'll move heaven and earth to get back down there!

• Liked — The location, the amenities, the food, the view, the staff, the peace and quiet
  • Disliked — N/A
2 Thank StuartandDenese
Fairfax, VA
Reviewed January 15, 2009

I've ben to St. Croix several times and realize that one needs to diminish their expectations for customer service, but the Palms at Pelican Cove failed to meet those lowered expectations.

I had two major problems:

The restaurant was closed during my stay. Had I known that I didn't have access to a restaurant during my stay, I would have booked somewhere else. I feel that I should have been notified of this circumstance when I booked my travel.

While the hotel advertises that al rooms contain either king or queen beds, my room had a full (double bed), which is 6' narrower than a queen and 5" shorter. It is very uncomfortable for two people (one of whom is 6' 2") to sleep on a double bed. Again, had I known there was a double bed in the room, I would have booked somewhere else.

These two major problems caused me to take more notice of minor problems that occurred during my stay, including:

Waking up at 4:00 am to use the bathroom to find that there was no toilet paper in my room.

Being told by the front desk that there was only one key to the room. This caused inconvenience, because I'm a scuba diver and my wife is not. When we separated, it limited her freedom to do other things because she had to be concsious of letting me in the room.

If this was a $69 nightly rate, these problems would have been manageable. At $210 a night, I expect much more.

If you plan to stay here, caveat emptor.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Everything Else
7 Thank JMBFairfax_VA
I apologize for our limited kitchen service while you were here. All restaurants on the island are required to replace their existing range hoods with stainless steel hoods and a fire suppression system. Though it maybe a good idea, it was a terrible inconvenience for our guests and for us. We had only limited notice of when the hood was arriving, and unfortunately it took three days longer to install than was planned. But at least now it is done and our restaurant is fully up. We did offer a continental breakfast and a shortened lunch and dinner menu while the main kitchen was down. I measured the mattress in your room and it is a queen. The actual bed frame is larger than the mattress by about the dimensions you mentioned which may have given the impression of it being a full. Sorry about the lack of toilet paper – our maids do not know how they missed that and they do apologize. We do have two keys available for each room – the front desk accidentally misplaced the second key for your room before you checked in. No excuses - we should have followed through on this and provided you with your second room key. I do appreciate your candid comments and would greatly appreciate the opportunity to show you a much better time your next trip down.
Long Island, NY
Reviewed January 8, 2009

I meant to come on an write a review right after our honeymoon but I got side tracked by the holidays. So now I am here, cold in NY and thinking about what a great time we had on our honeymoon and figured it was time to write my review. I could only wish to be back at the Palms @ Pelican Cove and to be sitting on our own private patio watching the waves. Each room has their own patio and you are literally off the beach. I could not believe how close to the water we were. The staff was unreal. The owners are currently putting a lot of effort into renovating the place and you can see that their plans are going to be beautiful. I am jealous that they get to be there every day and live in paradise. The restaurant was really good and I recommend grabbing some breakfast before heading off to see what the Island has to offer. I loved their Eggs Benedict and Eddie was a big fan of their egg sandwhich. The service was great and sitting outside by the beach was very romantic. We did not rent a car but thanks to Dicky we did not need to worry. We just let him know to call a cab any time day or night and they were there fairly fast. Some people prefer to rent a car but since we drank while we were out we would not take the chance driving home. Note the steering wheel is opposite from what we are used to and that would be an additional challenge. Sometimes you did not even need to drive. We would walk down to Elizabeth's for dinner or drinks and Reese the chef there is another friend we made there.
As for the towns, I prefered visiting Christiansted over Frederiksted although Frederiksted seems to be going through some improvements now that Disney is docking there. The Island is not too touristy which is what I loved about it and I hope that does not change. You could easily feel like you were on your own private beach but without feeling bored. Yes the beach by the hotel has rocks and coral and can be rough but there is an area right near the bar where it is sandy enough to go in the water. There is also a great pool. The surroundings are beautiful and if you are lucky you can see sea turtles on this island. We visited the beach (Sandy Point) where they tape Shawshank Redemption's final scene. That was the most beautiful beach I have ever seen and is only open part of the year and on weekends because of the wildlife. Not to mention it is not easy to get to. We checked out a Full Moon party in town and if you can catch Kurt Briggs Schindler perform anywhere I highly recommend it. We also took the 2 1/2 hour jet ski tour. Everyone loves to snorkel and scuba on this Island. I was a little fearful of it but heard many great stories. The Islanders and locals are very friendly. Check out the Pigs that love Beer in the rainforest because that is a photo op and yes you do see Pelicans at Pelican Cove.
Now for the best that I have saved for last in my review. Jovan & Conan at the bar made us feel like we were long lost friends. These guys go out of their way to make you feel at home and they can pretty much make any drink out there. Of course they specialize with Cruzan Rum and they make a Cruzian Confusion that is really good but I am a bigger fan of the Pain Killers! I am not sure if they caused the pain or killed it but they are delicious and I still want the recipe. I am disappointed to read in another review that Conan can blow fire and that I missed out on seeing that. I guess I just have to get back there to witness that for myself.
I miss St. Croix, the Palms, and the people very much and plan to come back in the future and highly recommend it. Jill & Eddie

• Liked — The beach, the Island and the people
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank seaturtlefan
New Jersey
Reviewed January 4, 2009

We looked all over the Caribbean for a good-value-for-money vacation where we could do nothing but relax without spending a fortune. The Palms delivered all of this and more. We got a really low rate on five nights. It was our first time staying on the beach, in fact the entire resort is on a stunning beach which is supremely relaxing. Everything is gorgeous and very well kept, and most everyone is VERY VERY nice.

Chuck and Joyce, the owners, could not possibly be more warm or hospitable, they seem to like to get to know everyone who stays there. As others have mentioned here, Chuck leads daily snorkeling tours. One day it was just me and my husband signed up, and he and Joyce actually drove us to another part of the island to snorkel. When that didn't work out (too cloudy in the water) instead they gave us a tour of the area, basically treating us like their own guests. The next day, we snorkeled in front of the hotel and it was an amazing experience to have someone guiding and showing you what's what - we saw a lobster, lots of sea urchins, an eel, etc. Chuck was also very patient with me when I had had enough after 30 minutes! They will lend you snorkels and flippers for free. If you want to just swim, best to bring sand shoes as the ocean is pretty rocky.

I vehemently disagree with the person who complained about the rooms. The bathroom was quite old, and there was a bit of mildew on the weird rock wall in the shower, but the room was were very clean. The furniture is very nice (it's new and custom made), and we thought the beds quite comfy. The air conditioner worked fine, though it was a little loud, and when it's windy there is quite a bit of noise from the sliding door rattling. We also would have appreciated a screen door so we could enjoy the ocean breeze all night without bugs. We considered these very very minor points, though. They are in the process of remodeling the bathrooms so this might be moot by the time you stay there.

The food in the restaurant is quite good - very fresh, huge portions. Service is very slow, but we had nowhere to be! Our only problem here was that twice we got specials menus from the day before that someone had forgotten to switch, and once this resulted in my getting something I didn't really want to eat (and our beachside table was so dark I didn't notice at first - to their credit they keep the lights dimmed because of the nesting turtles.).

We walked to Foodtown our first day (about a 15 min walk through a neighborhood) to get breakfast stuff, snacks and soda, which saved a lot of money. We also tried Elizabeth's down the beach (great atmosphere, cheaper than the Palms, food nowhere near as good as the Palms) and Kendricks (a cab ride to downtown, great food, but they forgot to put a candle in my husband's birthday dessert as I had requested...)

Overall we'd stay at the Palms again in a heartbeat and were more than willing to put up with the little imperfections in exchange for an excellent-value vacation packed with wonderful relaxing! If you are looking for unbridled luxury, this isn't the place for you, but we considered it an unbeatable deal.

• Liked — Value for money, relaxation, location on the beach
  • Disliked — very minor stuff - like no wireless in rooms, old (but clean) bathroom.
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled as a couple
2 Thank njtraveler15
Alberta
Reviewed December 31, 2008

I did not know that a RELAXING family vacation could be possible, but our week long stay at the Palms at Pelican Cove proved me wrong.

Our fantastic week started with an amazing glimpse at an endangered turtle on the beach front of the hotel the first night we arrived. From that night on, we were always invited by the owners of the hotel to watch out for hatching baby turtles each evening, just before dusk.

The kids loved the swimming pool and snorkeling. The owner of the hotel was very helpful and taught the kids the necessary basics of snorkeling. My husband and I also enjoyed the peacefulness of the place and taking walks on the quiet beach.

The owners of the hotel also assisted us in experiencing all of the wonders of St. Croix, including a day trip to Buck Island where snorkeling skills were put to the test (we also saw a dolphin and small sharks!), a horsebackriding trip through the rain forest and even watching a pig drink beer!

The food at The Palms was FANTASTIC. I can't say enough about the food. Thumbs up to the chefs. As a vegetarian, I had no trouble finding meatless dishes and even more amazingly, I had no problem finding meals for my picky children. With the ocean literally only a few feet away from the dining area, the combination of the ambience and the delicious food was a heavenly treat -- the icing on the cake for the most relaxing family vacation ever.

• Liked — The helpful assistance and the food
  • Disliked — the shower head too low
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled with family
2 Thank harmonyhorses
Also consider these accommodations in or near Christiansted
Tamarind Reef Resort, Spa & Marina
The Buccaneer St Croix
The Buccaneer St Croix
#1 of 14 in Christiansted
Renaissance St. Croix Carambola Beach Resort & Spa

Been to The Palms at Pelican Cove? Share your experiences!