I meant to come on an write a review right after our honeymoon but I got side tracked by the holidays. So now I am here, cold in NY and thinking about what a great time we had on our honeymoon and figured it was time to write my review. I could only wish to be back at the Palms @ Pelican Cove and to be sitting on our own private patio watching the waves. Each room has their own patio and you are literally off the beach. I could not believe how close to the water we were. The staff was unreal. The owners are currently putting a lot of effort into renovating the place and you can see that their plans are going to be beautiful. I am jealous that they get to be there every day and live in paradise. The restaurant was really good and I recommend grabbing some breakfast before heading off to see what the Island has to offer. I loved their Eggs Benedict and Eddie was a big fan of their egg sandwhich. The service was great and sitting outside by the beach was very romantic. We did not rent a car but thanks to Dicky we did not need to worry. We just let him know to call a cab any time day or night and they were there fairly fast. Some people prefer to rent a car but since we drank while we were out we would not take the chance driving home. Note the steering wheel is opposite from what we are used to and that would be an additional challenge. Sometimes you did not even need to drive. We would walk down to Elizabeth's for dinner or drinks and Reese the chef there is another friend we made there.
As for the towns, I prefered visiting Christiansted over Frederiksted although Frederiksted seems to be going through some improvements now that Disney is docking there. The Island is not too touristy which is what I loved about it and I hope that does not change. You could easily feel like you were on your own private beach but without feeling bored. Yes the beach by the hotel has rocks and coral and can be rough but there is an area right near the bar where it is sandy enough to go in the water. There is also a great pool. The surroundings are beautiful and if you are lucky you can see sea turtles on this island. We visited the beach (Sandy Point) where they tape Shawshank Redemption's final scene. That was the most beautiful beach I have ever seen and is only open part of the year and on weekends because of the wildlife. Not to mention it is not easy to get to. We checked out a Full Moon party in town and if you can catch Kurt Briggs Schindler perform anywhere I highly recommend it. We also took the 2 1/2 hour jet ski tour. Everyone loves to snorkel and scuba on this Island. I was a little fearful of it but heard many great stories. The Islanders and locals are very friendly. Check out the Pigs that love Beer in the rainforest because that is a photo op and yes you do see Pelicans at Pelican Cove.
Now for the best that I have saved for last in my review. Jovan & Conan at the bar made us feel like we were long lost friends. These guys go out of their way to make you feel at home and they can pretty much make any drink out there. Of course they specialize with Cruzan Rum and they make a Cruzian Confusion that is really good but I am a bigger fan of the Pain Killers! I am not sure if they caused the pain or killed it but they are delicious and I still want the recipe. I am disappointed to read in another review that Conan can blow fire and that I missed out on seeing that. I guess I just have to get back there to witness that for myself.
I miss St. Croix, the Palms, and the people very much and plan to come back in the future and highly recommend it. Jill & Eddie
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Palms at Pelican Cove sits on 7 acres of coconut palms and white sand beach, and is just 3 miles west of Christiansted. There is swimming in front of the property, and with Long Reef just a few yards off shore, excellent snorkeling (day and night) is also available. We provide complimentary snorkel gear and tours of the reef. Our freshwater pool is one of the largest on the island and is regularly used by SCUBA for introductory dive lessons. We have a tennis court and complimentary gear. There are many hiking trails on the island and we regularly make excursions with guests. There are 40 spacious rooms at the hotel, and all offer panoramic oceanfront views from expansive terraces. All rooms are air conditioned, and are equipped with a small refrigerator and coffee maker. The Palms Restaurant is located on property and serves breakfast, lunch and dinner. The Mahogany Bar is located beachside, serves up wonderful beverages, and has a late night bar menu. The front desk is open 24/7 and security is provided around the clock. Wireless internet access is complimentary. The Palms won the 2010 Best Beach Resort and Best Hotel on St. Croix as voted by readers of the Virgin Islands Daily News. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Hotwire, Orbitz, Cheap Tickets, Evoline ltd, getaroom.com, Cancelon, HotelQuickly and TripOnline SA so you can book your The Palms at Pelican Cove reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Palms At Pelican Cove Hotel Christiansted
- Palms At Pelican Cove Christiansted
- Palms Pelican Cove
- Palms At Pelican Cove Hotel
- The Palms At Pelican Cove St. Croix/Christiansted, U.S. Virgin Islands