“Amazing Place, Amazing People!”

The Palms at Pelican Cove
Ranked #2 of 14 Hotels in Christiansted
Long Island, NY
“Amazing Place, Amazing People!”
Reviewed January 8, 2009

I meant to come on an write a review right after our honeymoon but I got side tracked by the holidays. So now I am here, cold in NY and thinking about what a great time we had on our honeymoon and figured it was time to write my review. I could only wish to be back at the Palms @ Pelican Cove and to be sitting on our own private patio watching the waves. Each room has their own patio and you are literally off the beach. I could not believe how close to the water we were. The staff was unreal. The owners are currently putting a lot of effort into renovating the place and you can see that their plans are going to be beautiful. I am jealous that they get to be there every day and live in paradise. The restaurant was really good and I recommend grabbing some breakfast before heading off to see what the Island has to offer. I loved their Eggs Benedict and Eddie was a big fan of their egg sandwhich. The service was great and sitting outside by the beach was very romantic. We did not rent a car but thanks to Dicky we did not need to worry. We just let him know to call a cab any time day or night and they were there fairly fast. Some people prefer to rent a car but since we drank while we were out we would not take the chance driving home. Note the steering wheel is opposite from what we are used to and that would be an additional challenge. Sometimes you did not even need to drive. We would walk down to Elizabeth's for dinner or drinks and Reese the chef there is another friend we made there.
As for the towns, I prefered visiting Christiansted over Frederiksted although Frederiksted seems to be going through some improvements now that Disney is docking there. The Island is not too touristy which is what I loved about it and I hope that does not change. You could easily feel like you were on your own private beach but without feeling bored. Yes the beach by the hotel has rocks and coral and can be rough but there is an area right near the bar where it is sandy enough to go in the water. There is also a great pool. The surroundings are beautiful and if you are lucky you can see sea turtles on this island. We visited the beach (Sandy Point) where they tape Shawshank Redemption's final scene. That was the most beautiful beach I have ever seen and is only open part of the year and on weekends because of the wildlife. Not to mention it is not easy to get to. We checked out a Full Moon party in town and if you can catch Kurt Briggs Schindler perform anywhere I highly recommend it. We also took the 2 1/2 hour jet ski tour. Everyone loves to snorkel and scuba on this Island. I was a little fearful of it but heard many great stories. The Islanders and locals are very friendly. Check out the Pigs that love Beer in the rainforest because that is a photo op and yes you do see Pelicans at Pelican Cove.
Now for the best that I have saved for last in my review. Jovan & Conan at the bar made us feel like we were long lost friends. These guys go out of their way to make you feel at home and they can pretty much make any drink out there. Of course they specialize with Cruzan Rum and they make a Cruzian Confusion that is really good but I am a bigger fan of the Pain Killers! I am not sure if they caused the pain or killed it but they are delicious and I still want the recipe. I am disappointed to read in another review that Conan can blow fire and that I missed out on seeing that. I guess I just have to get back there to witness that for myself.
I miss St. Croix, the Palms, and the people very much and plan to come back in the future and highly recommend it. Jill & Eddie

• Liked — The beach, the Island and the people
1 Thank seaturtlefan

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (233)
New Jersey
Reviewed January 4, 2009

We looked all over the Caribbean for a good-value-for-money vacation where we could do nothing but relax without spending a fortune. The Palms delivered all of this and more. We got a really low rate on five nights. It was our first time staying on the beach, in fact the entire resort is on a stunning beach which is supremely relaxing. Everything is gorgeous and very well kept, and most everyone is VERY VERY nice.

Chuck and Joyce, the owners, could not possibly be more warm or hospitable, they seem to like to get to know everyone who stays there. As others have mentioned here, Chuck leads daily snorkeling tours. One day it was just me and my husband signed up, and he and Joyce actually drove us to another part of the island to snorkel. When that didn't work out (too cloudy in the water) instead they gave us a tour of the area, basically treating us like their own guests. The next day, we snorkeled in front of the hotel and it was an amazing experience to have someone guiding and showing you what's what - we saw a lobster, lots of sea urchins, an eel, etc. Chuck was also very patient with me when I had had enough after 30 minutes! They will lend you snorkels and flippers for free. If you want to just swim, best to bring sand shoes as the ocean is pretty rocky.

I vehemently disagree with the person who complained about the rooms. The bathroom was quite old, and there was a bit of mildew on the weird rock wall in the shower, but the room was were very clean. The furniture is very nice (it's new and custom made), and we thought the beds quite comfy. The air conditioner worked fine, though it was a little loud, and when it's windy there is quite a bit of noise from the sliding door rattling. We also would have appreciated a screen door so we could enjoy the ocean breeze all night without bugs. We considered these very very minor points, though. They are in the process of remodeling the bathrooms so this might be moot by the time you stay there.

The food in the restaurant is quite good - very fresh, huge portions. Service is very slow, but we had nowhere to be! Our only problem here was that twice we got specials menus from the day before that someone had forgotten to switch, and once this resulted in my getting something I didn't really want to eat (and our beachside table was so dark I didn't notice at first - to their credit they keep the lights dimmed because of the nesting turtles.).

We walked to Foodtown our first day (about a 15 min walk through a neighborhood) to get breakfast stuff, snacks and soda, which saved a lot of money. We also tried Elizabeth's down the beach (great atmosphere, cheaper than the Palms, food nowhere near as good as the Palms) and Kendricks (a cab ride to downtown, great food, but they forgot to put a candle in my husband's birthday dessert as I had requested...)

Overall we'd stay at the Palms again in a heartbeat and were more than willing to put up with the little imperfections in exchange for an excellent-value vacation packed with wonderful relaxing! If you are looking for unbridled luxury, this isn't the place for you, but we considered it an unbeatable deal.

• Liked — Value for money, relaxation, location on the beach
  • Disliked — very minor stuff - like no wireless in rooms, old (but clean) bathroom.
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled as a couple
2 Thank njtraveler15
Alberta
Reviewed December 31, 2008

I did not know that a RELAXING family vacation could be possible, but our week long stay at the Palms at Pelican Cove proved me wrong.

Our fantastic week started with an amazing glimpse at an endangered turtle on the beach front of the hotel the first night we arrived. From that night on, we were always invited by the owners of the hotel to watch out for hatching baby turtles each evening, just before dusk.

The kids loved the swimming pool and snorkeling. The owner of the hotel was very helpful and taught the kids the necessary basics of snorkeling. My husband and I also enjoyed the peacefulness of the place and taking walks on the quiet beach.

The owners of the hotel also assisted us in experiencing all of the wonders of St. Croix, including a day trip to Buck Island where snorkeling skills were put to the test (we also saw a dolphin and small sharks!), a horsebackriding trip through the rain forest and even watching a pig drink beer!

The food at The Palms was FANTASTIC. I can't say enough about the food. Thumbs up to the chefs. As a vegetarian, I had no trouble finding meatless dishes and even more amazingly, I had no problem finding meals for my picky children. With the ocean literally only a few feet away from the dining area, the combination of the ambience and the delicious food was a heavenly treat -- the icing on the cake for the most relaxing family vacation ever.

• Liked — The helpful assistance and the food
  • Disliked — the shower head too low
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled with family
2 Thank harmonyhorses
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed December 17, 2008

The beach, bar, and restaurant were nice and provided us with many relaxing days with fun at the beach, good food and drinks. However, our hotel room was a disappointment. The bedroom area was clean, but the bed was uncomfortable. The slider door stuck and was very noisy with the nightly winds. I could deal with all that fine, since the hotel rate we got was so cheap. I cannot forgive a dirty bathroom though. It was awful. There was mold all in the bathtub grout and all over the stone wall that was part of the shower. It was disgusting. I would never go back because of this. It's sad because the hotel has a lot of potential and the people were nice.

• Liked — Beach
  • Disliked — Hotel Cleanliness
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled as a couple
5 Thank IslandGirlBoston_MA
Albert48, Managing Director at The Palms at Pelican Cove, responded to this review, December 18, 2008
'We do our best to meet or exceed our guests expectations. However, the hotel has been around a few years so it does have some character. The dark on the shower grout and stone is patina as everything is scrubbed daily with environmentally friendly Simple Green. And you're right, some of the patio doors don't open as easily as they did when new (we can't do much about the noise of the ocean waves). We are on a program of redoing the bathrooms and replacing patio doors and should be done by late 2009. All rooms have new custom made dark mahogany and rattan furniture. The mattresses are brand new deluxe ultra pillowtop from Serta - I'm sorry you found them uncomfortable. Thank you for your positive comments about our beach, restaurant, bar and our staff - we try really hard for our guests. Please come back and see us again; I believe you will be happy with what you see.
Alice, Texas
Reviewed November 17, 2008

Where do I begin? Registering was a snap & we were taken to our room in just minutes. The Gods were smiling upon us and a sea turtle was laying her eggs right outside our room (amazing). Sorry...getting off subject. The staff is wonderful, the owners are spectacular. Chuck & Joyce love their property and it shows. Chuck will take you snorkeling - cant beat that!

The bar staff can not be beat. Hands down the very best beach bar on STX. One of the bartenders - (Joe Van) made our week. Hopefully we will stay in touch. Just look for the cute guy with the dreadlocks.

I cant say enough about the Chef at the Palms. If you are without a car - NO WORRIES!! Between the Palms & Elizabeth's you will NOT go hungry. I am still raving about the jerk porkchop he prepared. The two pasta dishes I tried were bland...I hope they can spice it up a bit. My husband had a ribeye and he said it was the best steak he had ever eaten & we are from Texas. LOL

Our room was very clean & just a few feet from the beach. Housekeeping was excellent (Ms Giselle took very good care of us). Anything you need or want...is there.

Ok, now for my one and only complaint. The beach is rocky & rough. I mean ROCKY! Dont even attempt going in the water without beach shoes. Also, the snorkeling is suppose to be amazing...but my husband nearly drowned in the strong current. We stayed clear of the beach after our second day. I was really disappointed because I love to snorkel & was looking forward to being able to snorkel at the hotel. PLEASE BE CAREFUL!!!

If you have any questions about our stay please email me.

Stayed November 2008
3 Thank jennybug302001
Albert48, Managing Director at The Palms at Pelican Cove, responded to this review, December 3, 2008
Thank you so much for the wonderful review. We are very glad that you had a great stay and will pass along your comments to all our staff. It is unfortunate that the waves were so high the week that you were here; it definitely makes snorkeling the reef more of a challenge. You are right in that the coral reef comes close in to shore in front of the two residential buildings. The best place for swimming is in front of the administration building and outdoor restaurant. The white sand beach there is several hundred feet wide and the waves and currents inside the swim buoys rarely present a problem. We also now have a large educational sign at the swim beach which talks about the coral reef and its marine life, as well as the best locations for swimming and snorkeling.
Kansas
Reviewed November 15, 2008

My husband and I spent the first week of November 2008 at The Palms, and it was wonderful. We ended up there by chance, I had booked another hotel close by, but after finding bugs in the bed we moved over to The Palms. I am so glad, The Palms rooms are very nice and we ened up with a room that walked right out onto the beach- what a view! Room#4. All the help was very nice, the food was good and protions are large. The beach is of course the best part. Snorkeling there is fun, we saw lots of pretty fish, brain coral, antler coral, and our friends saw a sting-ray and jelly fish. Chuck- the owner gives free snorkeling tours, and will tell you about the nesting turtles.

The bar is a fun place to hang out, and the pool is very nice. It's just a great place to stay. I hope to go back someday. : )

• Liked — The view from our room, and how clean it was.
  • Disliked — Can't think of a thing.
1 Thank Catnano
oklahoma city
Reviewed November 11, 2008

My husband and I spent a week at the Palms from 11/01-11/08 and enjoyed our visit thoroughly. Upon our arrival we received a lovely bottle of rum and some cans of coke to start the vacation. We stayed in room 12 and had a wonderful view of the ocean. We had two large queen size beds (very comfy), mini fridge and plenty of towels. We had excellent snorkeling in front of the resort. Should you need snorkel gear just ask at the front desk. Towels are also available for check out at the front desk. We saw many colorful fish, crabs, lobster and a five foot stingray! When you check in the hotel, sign up for a snorkel tour with Chuck the owner. Chuck does an outstanding job of showing and telling of the critters in the ocean. Also, the hotel has turtles that nest on the beach. We were very lucky to watch a female turtle come up to lay her eggs. We were unfortunate to miss out on new of the hatchings while we were there as we were in the wrong spot at the wrong time. Darn. If you ask Chuck or Joyce they will be thrilled to discuss the turtle activity with you. The hotel staff was friendly and always offered ideas for things to do. We did not come across one unfriendly staff member the whole week we stayed. The food was excellent and very large portions. Try the backwards wings, our favorite. The hotel had beautiful plants and a warm inviting atmosphere. The outside bar is a great social meeting place. Many locals as well as the visitors sit around and enjoy a cold beverage with a gorgeous view of the ocean. The pool was large and refreshing after a dip in the ocean. We loved the Palms and when we return to St. Croix we will be returning.

• Liked — Snorkeling and Beach location
  • Disliked — Nothing
    • Check in / front desk
Also consider these accommodations in or near Christiansted
Tamarind Reef Resort, Spa & Marina
The Buccaneer St Croix
#1 of 14 in Christiansted
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,358 reviews
Renaissance St. Croix Carambola Beach Resort & Spa

Been to The Palms at Pelican Cove? Share your experiences!