By reading some of the reviews, there's clearly a segment of people that can not be pleased! It is pretty clear to me that the majority can! To the naysayers, you can tell by the gas prices as you drive through town, that things are expensive here. If you were to take a little break from your self centered life and your phone texting and actually have a conversation with the locals, you could learn a lot about life on the island and just how expensive it is to live there, much less run a business there. I suggest to these people to stay in a fancy big city hotel and watch us have fun on the Travel Channel.
As far as our stay, my wife and I fell head over heels in love with it. But, we're the types that like a lot of space and enjoy the outdoors. Our room was well appointed. I can’t think of anything we needed, with the exception of some beer and bourbon. A little bottle of Rum was already in the room. We made a quick run to a local store, where you can pick up snacks, liquor, and beer! With our mini fridge stocked for the week, we were ready to explore the island.
My wife called the desk to see about getting some advice about places to visit. We met with a guy named Chuck who had plenty of information and we had our week planned out. Much of the travel information he gave to us you wouldn't find on Tripadvisor. Let me just say this, they have the same type of yahoos on the island as we do on the main land. We listened to his advice, and as they say on the island, there was "no problem."
I really liked the beach and the grounds in general. They seemed natural but there was constant cleaning and manicuring. We had a nice view of the ocean with swaying palms and blooming flowers. We enjoyed our coffee on the porch every morning and watching the resident anoles going about their business. We are really into nature. We came here to dive, but ended up doing a little hike just to soak up the island. If you’re into that type of thing, but don’t want to hike, I'd suggest grabbing a drink and walking the grounds. I especially enjoyed seeing bats in the twilight of sunset. The orange glow and the silhouette of palms was just beautiful. Did we see chickens? Yes, once. Did we have a problem with it? NO! They have gone ferral on the island, just like they have in Key West. We found them to be a novelty.
As for the food at the restaurant, we fall on the liked it side, really enjoyed breakfasts and burgers particularly! And Mat is in the bar is like a Black Belt Bartender!
As I mentioned before, we loved the place and we enjoyed the staff. Kudos to Matt, Lewis, Erin, Julie, and Chuck! We appreciated your kindness and hospitality. It is killing us to miss a quarter after 6:00!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Palms at Pelican Cove sits on 7 acres of coconut palms and white sand beach, and is just 3 miles west of Christiansted. There is swimming in front of the property, and with Long Reef just a few yards off shore, excellent snorkeling (day and night) is also available. We provide complimentary snorkel gear and tours of the reef. Our freshwater pool is one of the largest on the island and is regularly used by SCUBA for introductory dive lessons. We have a tennis court and complimentary gear. There are many hiking trails on the island and we regularly make excursions with guests. There are 40 spacious rooms at the hotel, and all offer panoramic oceanfront views from expansive terraces. All rooms are air conditioned, and are equipped with a small refrigerator and coffee maker. The Palms Restaurant is located on property and serves breakfast, lunch and dinner. The Mahogany Bar is located beachside, serves up wonderful beverages, and has a late night bar menu. The front desk is open 24/7 and security is provided around the clock. Wireless internet access is complimentary. The Palms won the 2010 Best Beach Resort and Best Hotel on St. Croix as voted by readers of the Virgin Islands Daily News. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Orbitz, Expedia, Travelocity, TripOnline SA, Cancelon, Hotwire, HotelQuickly, Evoline ltd and getaroom.com so you can book your The Palms at Pelican Cove reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Palms At Pelican Cove Hotel Christiansted
- Palms At Pelican Cove Christiansted
- Palms Pelican Cove
- Palms At Pelican Cove Hotel
- The Palms At Pelican Cove St. Croix/Christiansted, U.S. Virgin Islands