“An octopus's garden”

Ranked #2 of 14 Hotels in Christiansted
Mansfield, Texas
“An octopus's garden”
Reviewed September 10, 2013

By reading some of the reviews, there's clearly a segment of people that can not be pleased! It is pretty clear to me that the majority can! To the naysayers, you can tell by the gas prices as you drive through town, that things are expensive here. If you were to take a little break from your self centered life and your phone texting and actually have a conversation with the locals, you could learn a lot about life on the island and just how expensive it is to live there, much less run a business there. I suggest to these people to stay in a fancy big city hotel and watch us have fun on the Travel Channel.

As far as our stay, my wife and I fell head over heels in love with it. But, we're the types that like a lot of space and enjoy the outdoors. Our room was well appointed. I can’t think of anything we needed, with the exception of some beer and bourbon. A little bottle of Rum was already in the room. We made a quick run to a local store, where you can pick up snacks, liquor, and beer! With our mini fridge stocked for the week, we were ready to explore the island.

My wife called the desk to see about getting some advice about places to visit. We met with a guy named Chuck who had plenty of information and we had our week planned out. Much of the travel information he gave to us you wouldn't find on Tripadvisor. Let me just say this, they have the same type of yahoos on the island as we do on the main land. We listened to his advice, and as they say on the island, there was "no problem."

I really liked the beach and the grounds in general. They seemed natural but there was constant cleaning and manicuring. We had a nice view of the ocean with swaying palms and blooming flowers. We enjoyed our coffee on the porch every morning and watching the resident anoles going about their business. We are really into nature. We came here to dive, but ended up doing a little hike just to soak up the island. If you’re into that type of thing, but don’t want to hike, I'd suggest grabbing a drink and walking the grounds. I especially enjoyed seeing bats in the twilight of sunset. The orange glow and the silhouette of palms was just beautiful. Did we see chickens? Yes, once. Did we have a problem with it? NO! They have gone ferral on the island, just like they have in Key West. We found them to be a novelty.

As for the food at the restaurant, we fall on the liked it side, really enjoyed breakfasts and burgers particularly! And Mat is in the bar is like a Black Belt Bartender!

As I mentioned before, we loved the place and we enjoyed the staff. Kudos to Matt, Lewis, Erin, Julie, and Chuck! We appreciated your kindness and hospitality. It is killing us to miss a quarter after 6:00!

Room Tip: I like the bottom floor myself for watching the birds and lizards etc. Great place to sip coffee in...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Terry P

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (236)
North Bergen, New Jersey
Reviewed September 5, 2013

We stayed at the Palms at Pelican Cove during the Fourth of July week. We booked a beach front room. It did not disappoint. Each morning we woke to the beautiful Caribbean waters, the palm trees blowing in the constant gentle breeze, not to mention the mild temp, made for a very pleasant vacation. There was even a night of entertainment, discount for the hotel guests, with dancers on stilts, fire dancers and live music. One necessity, bring mosquito repellent - they can be quite a pest.

Room Tip: Beach front rooms are a must.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Weston D
Miami, Florida
Reviewed September 4, 2013

We stayed at The Palms this summer for five nights. It was one of the most laidback, relaxing family vacations we have taken in a long time. The hotel staff, from the front desk, wait staff, bar, security and housekeeping were the most friendly, accommodating, helpful and all around enjoyable staff I have ever experienced. The beach was lovely, and right off our patio steps. The snorkeling was fantastic. It was my first experience snorkeling, and my lesson was great. My son and my husband also went night snorkeling and had an amazing time. I enjoyed walking around the grounds, which are landscaped informally with native plants. We got lots of excellent suggestions from the staff regarding day trips, hikes, activities and restaurant tips, all of which we very much enjoyed. We couldn't have asked for more. I would return in a heartbeat!

Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank Michele S
Reviewed September 1, 2013

I'm late writing my review but feel really pressed to do so because this place was so awesome. We stayed here Spring Break of 2013, This is a perfect place to stay while on business. While my husband worked, we had plenty of entertainment at The Palms. All of the staff was so helpful and friendly. I wish I could remember the name of the head of housekeeping because she was a gem and very accommodating. I think its Velma. Two of my children enjoyed snorkeling for their very first time with Chuck. He did a wonderful job teaching them about safety while pointing out the different sea life. They were also given a free CD with photos of themselves snorkeling. They had the time of their life! The pool was great. The views were outstanding and we were so close to the beach. One of the nicest things they did was find and mail my daughters cell phone back to us free of charge! Great people! If we ever return to St. Croix we will definitely be returning to The Palms. We highly recommend them!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank miabellao
Palm Harbor, Florida
Reviewed August 30, 2013

We stayed at the Palms this past summer for six nights. It was off season so it felt like we had the hotel to ourselves. Long walks on the beach and tons of relaxing time. The location was amazing and the food out of this world, but what we loved the most was the staff. Lewis took us on two unforgettable snorkeling trips and the rest of the staff treated us like family. The room was super quiet but slightly dated. We did not mind because half the time we had sandy feet and wet clothes. I really loved this hotel and would highly recommend it to friends and family.

Room Tip: We stayed in room 18 which was an upgraded suite with an ocean front view and a small kitchenette...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Christina L
Brandon, Florida
Reviewed August 25, 2013

This was the last stop of my Caribbean tour so I elected to take one "personal" day here and avoid the rush back to the airport with the others in my group. Am I ever glad I did. We checked in on Thursday afternoon. Grounds were expansive and well kept. Front desk staff were friendly and the check in was smooth. They took me to room #4 in a golf cart so I didn't have to drag my bag all the way down the path. I was told that I could call the front desk when I was ready to return and they would send the cart back for me. Nice touch I thought.

My ground floor room was spacious and clean with modern furnishings. The patio doors opened to a private patio just yards from the shore. Sea shells were lined up atop the short retaining walls which created the borders for my space. The room was equipped with a mini fridge, a small coffee pot, and most importantly - a complimentary bottle of rum along with a couple of colas. The bathroom had a beautiful shower with a stone wall and ample counter space surrounding the two basins.

A short walk back to the main building for dinner and drinks. Relaxed in comfortable furniture by the mahogany bar waiting for the others in our group. Dinner was served in their open air covered patio. The dinner specials were Mexican themed and I ordered the burrito. The portions were huge and savory. Natalie, our server, was friendly and attentive to our needs, filling and refilling our drinks. Very relaxing dinner.

Had the best night's sleep of the week. The rooms are remotely located from the pool and bar so the only sounds you hear are the waves outside. The bedding was comfortable.

Plenty of hot water and water pressure for my shower got my Friday started. Walked back to the main building for coffee and breakfast. Met Eileen, our morning server who was soon joined by Liz. These people are so friendly and nice, they make you feel like family. I ordered the banana pancakes and a bowl of fruit. Very good.

My work was completed just before noon and I returned to The Palms to begin my 24 hour vacation. Ordered a Caesar salad with grilled Mahi and enjoyed the scenery while my lunch was prepared. Liz was my server and was pleasant.

Signed up for a snorkeling tour at 2:00pm. The gear and the tour of the reef are complimentary. There is no time wasted on a boat here. We walked into the surf and was ready to go. Lewis proved to be a worthy guide knowing where to find the starfish and the pufferfish under ledges. Not one bit of the dive was rushed. We found flounder, dogfish, many colorful tropical fish, and a gazillion glass minnows. Did not see any predators or lion fish on this trip. That was good. A fresh water shower by the pool to wash off the salt afterwards and off to the room for a change.

Surf and Turf was the dinner theme Friday night. Maria was there to take my order - 8oz New York Strip with a tail. Natalie delivered my plate complete with drawn butter, steamed vegetables, and mashed potatoes. Finished this all off with an order of carrot cake. The dinner was fantastic.

Another great night's sleep, breakfast, and I needed to get packing. They let me store my bags at the front desk while I went into town for souvenirs. Returned for lunch and had the triple decker club sandwich with fries. Then off to the airport.

This is one stunning facility. The grounds and the rooms are clean. The staff (Natalie, Maria, Stephanie, Eileen, Liz, Lewis and others) are warm, friendly, welcoming, and aim to please. The views and the reef are beautiful. My only regret is that I couldn't stay longer.

Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank Phil C
Van Buren, MO
Reviewed August 25, 2013

We had the best time at the Palms at Pelican Cove. We stayed a week at the Palms, and enjoyed many activities on the island, but one of the best was the night snorkeling guided by Chuck and Mitch. We can't say enough about the knowledge and expertise that they both shared with us that made the experience that much more enjoyable. The snorkeling was great right outside our rooms. The Palms is located close to many fun things to do once you get used to driving on the opposite side of the road!!
If you are looking for the best resort on the island, the Palms is the place to stay--the staff is exceptionally helpful and professional. We will go back again!! Gary, Mitzi and Molly.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank GaryErb
Also consider these accommodations in or near Christiansted
Tamarind Reef Resort, Spa & Marina
The Buccaneer St Croix
The Buccaneer St Croix
#1 of 14 in Christiansted
Renaissance St. Croix Carambola Beach Resort & Spa

Been to The Palms at Pelican Cove? Share your experiences!