The Palms at Pelican Cove
Club Comanche(Christiansted)
$249
$179
  • Breakfast included
The Buccaneer St Croix(Christiansted)
$299
Holger Danske Hotel(Christiansted)
$116
Hotel on the Cay(Christiansted)(Great Value!)
$249
$199
$174
  • Breakfast included
Company House Hotel(Christiansted)
King Christian Hotel(Christiansted)
  • Pool
No availability for your dates from our partners
1,124 results
All reviewscaribbean nightnight snorkelbuck islandoctopusbar menust croixtook picturesmonday nightsnorkeling tourbeautiful beachcoral reeffire dancersribstake homesea lifecruzan rumthe open air restaurant
Reviewed December 22, 2012

I have stayed at The Palms on many occasions and every time am amazed by the beauty of the property and people.
Every room has a breathtaking view and all have been recently remodeled for the most comfortable rooms imaginable.
The people that work there are a family and from Irlene (sp) setting up your coffee the way you like it without having to say anything, Pat in the front desk remembering your family or Giselle in housekeeping who has arranged for the lovely Danish tourists to attend church services. No courtesy is overlooked.
The in house restaurant has an ever changing menu and there is always live entertainment - mojo jumbles, fire dancers and local musicians, make this a hard place to venture away from. I leave already planning when I can return.

• Stayed: December 2012
Reviewed December 22, 2012

My son and I have stayed at the Palms more times than I can count over the past 8 years. The location is convenient. I love being able to walk out my door onto the beach. Room 26 is a personal favorite. The rooms are beautiful and comfortable. The staff is loving and caring. The food is awesome also. The prime rib is dreamy and Elvis' ribs on Caribbean night can't be beat. I just could not ask for a better get away. Thank you Palms!

• Stayed: June 2012
Reviewed December 21, 2012

The Palms is the type of place that grows on you more each day. Of course my first day started out great with a free upgrade to a 2 room suite on the 3rd floor. The view from the terrace was beautiful. The highest rating for the Palms has to be reserved for the view and the staff. Everyone (well almost everyone, but I'll leave the less than positive until the end) was friendly and helpful. Dave was my go-to bartender but Rico and Sheila were also great. The front desk always had a smile. Every staff member on and around the property (security, grounds people, housekeeping, maintenance) were all very friendly and very pleasant. Raisa was the best breakfast waitress and all dinner waiters were competent, no complaints.The atmosphere is very laid back. A lot of expats who live on the island are regulars at the bar in the evening. They're all very friendly as well.

Lunch is available at the outdoor section of the restaurant or at the bar. From 2:30 to 10 PM there is a separate bar menu (pub food menu). The bar is covered, but open wall on most sides so there are breezes, but also mosquitoes. They have spray behind the bar, so ask. The dress code at the bar is casual, for dinner at the outdoor restaurant it is dress-casual (slax, bermuda shorts with a nice top, casual skirt, slax and shirts for men), the inside restaurant is just a tiny bit more (bermuda shorts would be out of place, except on trivia night).

There is a pretty pool with lounges and table and chairs, but no umbrellas. The pool was cool in Dec; so if you prefer a heated pool in winter it may be a bit cold for you. There are 3 iguanas who hang out by the pool. Always check the trees above. When not on the ground near the pool they are in the trees by the pool and iguanas do have bodily functions.

My room was great. There was a large terrace (doors from both the living room and the bedroom) with one lounge and 2 chairs. The view was worth the price of the trip. One room was a living room, dining room, 'kitchen nook'. There was a TV, small refrigerator, microwave, and a few plates, glasses, and utensils. The bedroom also had a TV. The bed was very comfortable and I slept well (I don't always when in a strange bed). I left the doors to the patio open whenever I was there during the day, but made sure I closed them at least a half hour before dusk to keep the mosquitoes out. I got bit my first night quite a lot, but not again until near the end, so my in room mosquito experience was better than others. My ankles and legs were the mosquito main course at the bar, however. I never saw a deluxe beach front room (which I had booked) so I can't describe that but I did see the cheapest room: a basic with garden view. It was a large room with a small refrigerator and you did have a view of the sea, at least from the second floor.

The beach continues way past the property so you are able to go for long beach walks if you like. Swimming is available at the beach entrance by the pool and restaurant. Unfortunately there is a huge drop and the bottom was pretty uneven and there were lots of rocks brought in by the waves when I was there, so I was unsteady on my feet and got knocked over a bit.

There is no smoking except in a designated area between the pool and the bar. They set up several tables and chairs, so the smokers were quite comfortable.

I loved the place, I loved my experience, I loved my terrace, and I am talking to relatives about going back in a few months.

So, if I loved it so much why the 4 (very good) and not 5 (excellent) rating? I hesitate to say anything negative, but I appreciate very honest detailed reviews. One person isn't bothered by something that drives another crazy. We all have different tolerances and we can't make an informed decision without information, so here's why it lost a point.........There is some truth to the negative comments by previous reviewers. The food is inconsistent. Sometimes it was quite nice and other times it was very overcooked and dry. I ate all but one of my meals there and it was fine. There was only one item (a lobster quiche at lunch) that was really, really awful because it was so very dry and overcooked. Some people have complained about the housekeeping. I wouldn't say that it is not clean, I'd say it doesn't sparkle. There are stains on the tiles, the floor is not swept everyday, there's tape residue along the edges that wasn't scrapped up. I think the tape is what a previous writer said was dirt. After my second day I didn't notice the stains or lack of sparkle and I loved my surroundings.The third common complaint I read about is the condition of the beach. They are trying to be eco friendly and they don't rake up the dead vegetation that comes on shore. Ideally, it would go back to sea on the next high tide, but some of it must have been deposited during a full moon high tide (and maybe a concurrent storm) so it is so far up that it stays there and makes the beach look untidy or even dirty. If you're a "green" person it won't bother you, if you're not, it probably will. By the way, it is all along the beach. I went for a few very long walks and no one removes it. Maybe it's forbidden to do so?

Oh, who were the 2 staff people who wouldn't receive a good score from me? Both served at breakfast. Eileen was exceptionally slow when I had her (and she blamed it on others) and several times I heard other wait staff telling each other to get her because her table was waiting so long. The other was a younger male who didn't have the best attitude. He was my first breakfast experience (Sunday brunch) and he was a bit snide in his remarks, not friendly, and he just turned me off. I saw him the next Sunday and at one dinner midweek, so he is probably very part-time. I don't know his name but he had curly hair, was a bit chubby, and wore shorts at brunch.

So none of those negatives expressed by others, nor my limited negative experience with some food and some staff at breakfast, was enough to spoil my time, but was enough to make it less than perfect, thus the Very Good rating.

I still loved it and I can't wait to go back. I still highly recommend it.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank JerseyProfessor
Albert48, Owner at The Palms at Pelican Cove, responded to this reviewResponded December 23, 2012

Wow. What a thorough review. Sorry that there were a few things where we didn't quite make it all the way to the top. I have passed on your comments to our kitchen and housekeeping staff so they can be more attentive to the points you mentioned. And we also met with the two wait staff you mentioned. Just so you know, we expect our restaurant staff, and for that matter all of our hotel staff, to have a positive and friendly attitude, nothing less will do. Full-time as well as part-time. Almost all really enjoy being here so it is easy for them to smile. Regarding the beach, while you were here we had the first of our seasonal Christmas winds, as the locals call them. These winds arise from a high pressure area which parks itself to the north of us, sometimes for days, in the mid Atlantic during the winter. The high spins off winds from the north to northeast and of course this generates the larger waves which bring in the seaweed. We do try and keep up with raking the beach but it can be a daunting task at times. We have to do this manually as our beach is an endangered turtle nesting beach and vehicles are not allowed. I am happy that you had such a wonderful time with us and I look forward to meeting up with you on your next visit.

Reviewed December 21, 2012

We were married at The Palms and are so glad we chose this venue! They have a private palm grove for the ceremony and a beautiful beach! The rooms are remodeled - they have gorgeous stone showers, large rooms with amazing views of the ocean (almost every room you can see the water) and a large pool. The hotel is a bit off the beaten path but well worth it - Pelican Cove is beautiful. The snorkeling there is great (as long as its not windy) and the palm trees picturesque. The best part about the hotel is the staff!!! Julie and Dawn, managers, are both very helpful and friendly. Andy and Emily in the restaurant are AWESOME! They treated us like family from the start and we were very entertained by Andy's humor during dinner. They were excellent hosts and waiters. The cleaning staff are extremely friendly and great to talk to. If you need something, they make sure they can find it. Mitch was great - full of information and definitely a jack of all trades. The bar staff was extremely friendly and quick with a drink order. We felt right at home here. Caribbean nights on Mondays are well worth it - moko jumbies and fire dancers, plus a great buffett. Trivia night on Wednesday was highly entertaining and alot of fun. I highly recommend this hotel - staff go out of their way for you and you can't beat the atmosphere.

Room Tip: We chose a third floor suite - very convenient to have, with fridge, microwave, silverware, bowls, plates, glasses, an eating table in the 'kitchen', plus a couch, chairs, tables, tv in the 'living rm' - lots of space compared to normal rooms. Plus a large balcony with sweeping view.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 19, 2012

The Palms at Pelican Cove is not a big resort - and nor are they trying to be.

The staff is very friendly and helpful. The rooms are good and clean.

The only thing which we found a bit of a shame was that when the rooms are being cleaned, the door is being kept open which lets in a lot of mosquitos. During the course of a week I killed approximately 20 mosquitoes in the evenings and still there were 4-5 in the room the next day after cleaning. An endless battle.

The resort is nice, though - and we still enjoyed our time there.

Room Tip: If it's stormy weather, the ocean is being splashed up on the balconies of the ground-level rooms facing the water. The salt in the water makes everything sort of sticky.. If visiting in a stormy period, consider getting a room without sea-view or maybe a 1st or 2nd floor room. Also consider bringing a flysquatter. We couldn't find a shop selling them in Christiansted, so we had to live with the mosquitos which were quite a pain.
Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family