For the price, this place couldn't be beat! I have stayed in 5 star hotels, and while this doesn't compare to the Ritz, it's a superb for what you pay, and I would certainly go back. Rent a car, dinners must be experienced elsewere!
Room Interior: Very basic interior: Off-white tile floors, light-yellow walls. Bathroom was nicely configured, and the shower temperature and pressure were good. We stayed in a corner room on the first floor. The room was very large. But it had a mildly "musty" order. The best I could figure out was that the inside of the AC's may have had some mold, as the smell was strongest near the AC. The smell was not bad, but it was noticeable. I did ask the front desk if we could switch rooms but they were full until midweek, and by then I was not about to give up my fabulous private patio.
Room Exterior: Great private patio with lounge seats right on the ocean. Amazing views! This was heavenly.
Beach: Because there is a great deal of coral just off the shore, the width of the beach is roughly 6 feet - 30 feel. Just enough room to walk comfortably and lounge in chairs. The upside of this is that it was a very quiet area. If you like to hunt for sea glass, this place is amazing! (I'm convinced many throw wine bottles into the ocean daily, and with all of the coral immediately off the shore, it doesn't take long for the glass to become sea glass.) There is not too many areas to swim due to the coral. Bring water shoes if you want to wade in the water, the coral can be rough on the feet.
Swimming/Snorkeling: This hotel has the best reputation for snorkeling on St. Croix, and I would have to agree. It is a great place to swim? Not so much. There is a channel that you can swim in perpendicular to the shore. But that's about it. The staff are more than happy to give a guided snorkeling tours just off their beach. These were fun! (And informative, and the safety overview was beneficial. If you were to get swept away in a rip tide, swim perpendicular to the shore, until you are out of it, then swim in. Fortunately this didn't happen to me, and do I think it happens often.) In high tide you can comfortably swim over all of the coral and see amazing see life. In low tide you need to be careful since you could scrape your stomach on the coral if you are not careful where you swim.There is an underwater coral "ridge" to the right of the channel that had a sting ray nest just over it, on occasion I would find myself unexpectedly just a few feet from the stingray. That was cool! (Due to the copious amounts of coral, this is not a good beach for toddlers.)
Local Activities: We rented a car and toured the entire island. Great hikes! Be sure to see Point Udall--beautiful views of the ocean from there. The Divi Hotel on the other side of the island is a great day trip. And they have amazing frozen drinks that are not to be missed! We also visited many beaches simply by using our smart phones and heading out to see what we could find. Great beaches can be found all over the island!
Hotel Restaurant: Breakfasts were great. However, skip the hotel restaurant for dinner. We ate dinner here twice and were disappointed both times. High priced food that was very bland. The bar provides typical pub food that is good for pub food.
Local Restaurants: The forums for St. Croix are fabulous for dining recommendations. Don't miss The Buccaneer for a sunset dinner. The views are simply breathtaking, and the food here was probably the best meal of our week.
Would I go back? Yes, but I will try the Buccaneer next time just for a change. Though I might have to stay a night or two at the Palms for the snorkeling! Great place for the price!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Palms at Pelican Cove sits on 7 acres of coconut palms and white sand beach, and is just 3 miles west of Christiansted. There is swimming in front of the property, and with Long Reef just a few yards off shore, excellent snorkeling (day and night) is also available. We provide complimentary snorkel gear and tours of the reef. Our freshwater pool is one of the largest on the island and is regularly used by SCUBA for introductory dive lessons. We have a tennis court and complimentary gear. There are many hiking trails on the island and we regularly make excursions with guests. There are 40 spacious rooms at the hotel, and all offer panoramic oceanfront views from expansive terraces. All rooms are air conditioned, and are equipped with a small refrigerator and coffee maker. The Palms Restaurant is located on property and serves breakfast, lunch and dinner. The Mahogany Bar is located beachside, serves up wonderful beverages, and has a late night bar menu. The front desk is open 24/7 and security is provided around the clock. Wireless internet access is complimentary. The Palms won the 2010 Best Beach Resort and Best Hotel on St. Croix as voted by readers of the Virgin Islands Daily News. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Orbitz, Expedia, Travelocity, TripOnline SA, Cheap Tickets, Hotwire, Cancelon, Evoline ltd, HotelQuickly and getaroom.com so you can book your The Palms at Pelican Cove reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Palms At Pelican Cove Hotel Christiansted
- Palms At Pelican Cove Christiansted
- Palms Pelican Cove
- Palms At Pelican Cove Hotel
- The Palms At Pelican Cove St. Croix/Christiansted, U.S. Virgin Islands