“I'd go back”

Ranked #2 of 14 Hotels in Christiansted
Northampton, Massachusetts
“I'd go back”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 17, 2011

I was there last week during this time and my experience could not have been further from your experience. I was even at the bar having drinks over the weekend. It is not the repsonsibility of any hotel to monitor the activity via cameras. We take our family to the Palms every year and have never been dissapointed. This property is safe and professional. The staff go out of their way for guests. I'm sorry your experience was anything less than perfect. I'd go back in a heartbeat and in fact have already booked our holiday vacation there.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank Kimber6

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (232)
Rockville, Maryland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 11, 2011

My husband and I chose St. Croix as a result of the reviews of the Palms, as the property seemed to offer all we would need in an island honeymoon spot. It absolutely delivered. We had a wonderful six days at the Palms in a nice sized and well air conditioned room with really comfortable bed, great water pressure in the remodeled bathroom/shower, and lovely patio with a gorgeous view. This was also a great location to be so close to Christiansted, so you can go on sails, jeep tours, jet ski, etc.

We ate most of our meals at the restaurant and they were all fantastic, although I thought the buffet for Caribbean Night was just okay - with the exception of the Johnny cakes, I spent the rest of the week craving them! Lobster night is not to be missed. I do echo someone else's suggestion of having more island fare/fresh fish, that would be great. But seriously, we ate many entrees off the menu and none disappointed. The prices are a little expensive perhaps in comparison to the mainland states, but the food was great and you pay for convenience. It was worth it. The pub fare is also great and make sure you order a margarita from Cara - they are amazing!

Everyone mentions the snorkeling here, and if you like to snorkel, you must stay at this property. We saw all kinds of stuff (porcupine fish, barracuda, starfish, tang, eel) on our guided tour with Chuck and on our own, as we kept our gear for the week in our rooms.The beach is *not* the best swimming beach as you need shoes, but the beach is never crowded and still totally worth it.

Chuck is a wonderful owner, he treats everyone as if you are old friends and goes out of his way to make you feel welcome. For me, this is why I would come back. It's so common for people to be treated as walking money, and while this property is not necessarily INexpensive, it's absolutely fair for what you get, which is a lot, and everyone cares that you are having a good time and experience. I've read all the reviews since March and the complaints about rooms, beach, pillows, neighborhood, noise, owner's family, etc. and I just don't get it. These must be extremely picky people as everything was lovely, including one of Chuck's daughters who also takes folks snorkeling. We stayed on the first floor and heard no noise from above - a HUGE plus. We had an issue with our final bill that couldn't be sorted out before we left because it was late Sunday night, but Julie responded to me immediately via email and took care of our issues, and graciously accepted constructive criticism regarding our package execution. I have no doubt these things will be addressed.

The only word of caution I will offer is to remember the pace is so much different than mainland US. I'm a meeting planner and from outside of DC, so I'm used to things happening much quicker. Things happen (mostly, sometimes you have to ask twice), just not as fast as I was used to. However, this is a trifle. You're on vacation in the Caribbean, it won't kill you to slow down a little bit. Thanks again, Chuck, Julie, Jill, Steph, Pat, and Cara. We will definitely see you again!

Room Tip: First floor rooms have direct beach access!
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Carrie M
Iowa Park
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 6, 2011

Driving to the Palms for the first time, I had the uneasy feeling that I was not in the right place. The access roads I traveled, take you a short distance through a somewhat distressed residential area. I thought for sure I was lost. Eventually, I spotted a sign which let me know I was close. A few turns and speed bumps later and we arrived. Initial impression is that the rooms are average. However, opening the curtain and peering out from the private terrace, the views are absolutely outstanding. Other than some Palm trees and sand, there was nothing between us and the ocean. It was like having our own private beach. The first night there, my wife and I were seated in the lobby exploring our options of what to do in the days to follow, when Chuck came walking by and greated us. I was skeptical that we would ever recieve the personal attention from the resort owner as indicated in the reviews that I had read, but I was pleasantly surprised. He pulled up a chair asked us a few questions about what we were interested in doing, and drew out on a map a suggested itinerary for the next few days. Then came what I was hoping for, an offer to take us out for a guided snorkle trip the next day. I had read that he did that quite often, but I didn't really see how he could do it for all his guest. I figured it would probably be a large group of strangers and a quick in and out of the reef. My wife and I along with our two girls arrived at the agreed spot and found that we were all alone. We were met by Ashley, a very interesting young lady who I guess is working as Chucks assistant. She got us geared up just about the time that Chuck arrived. Absolutely no one on the beach but the five of us. Never had we had an experience such as that, an entire reef to ourselves. It was amazing. I'm not sure how long we stayed in the water, but Chuck never offered to conclude our dive until I mentioned that I'm not as young as I used to be. Only then, did we begin a leisurely drift back toward shore. That adventure alone would have sold me on the Palms, but fortunately, the best was yet to come. Chuck invited us over to his place to visit with he and his wife that evening. It was a very relaxing time, it felt like we were visiting with family or old friends. When it became dark, he gathered up some flashlights and we headed off into the water again for a night time dive on the reef. All I can say is that it was awesome. It made for an unforgetable vacation. Very rarely can you find a place of that beauty when you are not elbow to elbow with strangers and you are made to feel like you are genuinely welcome to be there. Thanks go out to Chuck for a wonderful time.

6 Thank lovinlifesince58
Wolcott, Connecticut
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 5, 2011

We booked our trip back in February and spent the following months reading every review on Tripadvisor and hoping the Palms was as good as everyone said it was. We were not disappointed! We were wonderfully surprised to find we had been upgraded to the 3rd floor with a beautiful separate bedroom, kitchenette, and jaw dropping view from our rooftop balcony (that view is now my permanent screensaver). We spent several evenings stargazing and lost count of the number of shooting stars we witnessed.
Our 2 girls could not wait to snorkel and had a great time exploring the reef with Ashley. Our youngest was a little nervous at first and Ashley was so patient and helpful in making the experience exciting for her and while still managing to take great underwater photos that were given to us on a disk. Chuck spent a good amount of time helping us map out the island and gave us great tips on what to see, where to eat, and what not to miss and his recommendations were excellent. Eat at Rowdy Joe's if you can. The drive is breathtaking and the food was one of the best meals we had on the island.
I can honestly say that every aspect of our stay at the Palms far exceeded our expectations. The food was delicious, reasonably priced for island fare and there was a good variety for our family. The service is incredibly personal and friendly while not being intrusive. Each visit to the restaurant or bar was met with genuine smiles, conversation, and great food and drink. Try the "Lime in the Coconut", soooo good!
Our room was always impeccably clean with plenty of towels and the most beautiful, island flowers. Our girls have told everyone about their Cruzian grandmother, Mama G and how sweet she was to all of us. Everyone on staff was always willing to chat about the island, its people, and were sincerely interested in making our stay a memorable one. Mitch even helped my husband wash our rental car after our crazy drive through the rainforest and spent 30 minutes talking to me about the island. The island is beyond beautiful, but our stay at the Palms with its wonderful staff is what made this the best vacation ever!

Room Tip: Groundfloor rooms have patios that meet the sand, but the 3rd floor has phenomonal views of the beac...
4 Thank Jenn2ns
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 4, 2011

We stayed at The Palms for our honeymoon and loved it! The snorkeling was a lot of fun, and one of the owners showed us around the reefs, where were awesome. The staff was friendly and helpful. We loved the private balcony overlooking the ocean, and the rum waiting for us when we arrived. We could literally throw a stone and hit the ocean.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
Salina, Kansas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 4, 2011

I don't think I can say enough good things about the Palms. My recent vacation to St. Croix was nothing short of spectacular and I attribute that to the Palms. The resort itself is absoutely beautiful, however, the people who work there are even more so. From the moment we arrived at the Palms I truly felt like I was among friends. Our room was wonderful, the food was incredible, and I can't believe how reasonable the prices were for food and drinks. If I had to sum up my trip in one word I would have to say "Personal". It was the most personal trip I have ever taken and that is why it was so exceptional. Chuck....you are the best. I honestly can't think of one thing that you could have changed to have improved our stay at the Palms. I can't wait to come back and visit to see you and all our wonderful friends we made at the Palms. Thank you to everyone at the Palms for a wonderful time and I hope to see you all soon.
Dina B

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
New Braunfels, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 3, 2011

We stayed at the Palms as a family of four ( two adults and two teenage kids) and had a great time. We felt very welcomed. The staff was very helpful and nice. The room was clean and comfortable with a wonderful view on the beach ( the picture above is a very accurate reflection!) The complimentary reef snorkeling with Chuck was wonderful. He was very personable and nice and seemed to care about people. You get treated in a very personal way, which is very nice. Chuck gave us ideas for excursions and eateries. The reef is very close by and accessible. There is plenty of fish to see, although the reef itself has taken a huge hit from environmental stresses on it and is somewhat disappointing. But the sunrise!!! Don't forget to get up early one morning and experience that! Overall, I would go back in a heartbeat. Thanks Chuck and all your staff.

1 Thank dutchcaroline
Also consider these accommodations in or near Christiansted
Tamarind Reef Resort, Spa & Marina
The Buccaneer St Croix
#1 of 14 in Christiansted
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,341 reviews
Renaissance St. Croix Carambola Beach Resort & Spa

Been to The Palms at Pelican Cove? Share your experiences!