Company House Hotel
King Christian Hotel(Christiansted)
Kings Alley Hotel(Christiansted)
Holger Danske Hotel(Christiansted)
View Hotel
Hotel on the Cay(Christiansted)
View Hotel
The Buccaneer St Croix(Christiansted)
  • Pool
All reviewsboard walkdowntown christianstedshort walkboardwalkac
FilterAll languages
Reviewed August 14, 2010

I have to say that the previous bad reviews about the hotel is true...I spent one night there with my BF and it was horrible... The toilet was horrible looking, I was afraid to touch it, but the worst part about it was the hand towels... ALL the washcloths had BIG YELLOW STAINS in them..... this made me afraid to shower or even sleep in the bed.

Let me not forget the Pool...that looked like swampy mess!!

Morning time, you are awakened to the hammering away of the construction workers. We are early risers, so this didn't bother us as much...but for people on vacation, this is not the way you want to wake up.

The Lobby is the prettiest thing about the hotel...Dont be fooled....

I would not recommend this hotel to anyone else...

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple
3  Thank SooSooTY
Reviewed April 1, 2010

Throw out the old reviews before 2010, because they don't reflect the present condition of the hotel. I had read the reviews and was concerned about what we would find when we checked in. The room we were supposed to have was very basic and was in an area where reconstruction was going on. However, we were shown recently remodeled rooms and was assigned one of them. We were quite satisfied with its condition. The bathroom was clean and newly remodeled, and the bedroom area was quite large.

There is no elevator, so one must climb possibly three flights of stairs, so bear that in mind. The staff was absolutely terrific, and we got great rates after checking out the various room choices.

The television in our room was a flats screen, and it had quite a few channels. There is also a new iMac in the lobby for use by the patrons.

There is a very nice free breakfast at the King Christian Hotel, a couple of blocks away, so one has to walk there.

We did not use the pool while we were there, but it admittedly is in need of repair around the edges.

The Company House is continually upgrading, laying new tile, and making improvements.

Our stay at the Company House was very satisfactory and we plan to stay there again next year.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank OhioMargaret66
Reviewed February 28, 2010

This was booked through my company travel dept. The worst hotel I have ever stayed in and this includes ones I've stayed in while visiting third world countries. The location is not in the best part of the city. If you rent a car, don't stay here. There is no parking. Walking into the lobby of the hotel is the only nice part of the hotel! Upon arrival, my colleague and I were informed that there are no elevators. We were traveling for 6 weeks for business on the various USVI. So you can imagine we had more luggage than most. We had to carry our luggage up to several sets of narrow and uneven stairs.
Once in the room, there are no drawers to put anything in. The TV is mounted very high on the wall, near ceiling. The remote was not programmed and after multiple attempts to program it, I asked for the manager's assistance. With the TV being so high up, unless you are over 6'5'' a person could not turn on or off the tv nor change channels. The front desk clerk had to make several calls to the manager over several hours at my insistance before he made it over to the hotel to help with the remote. There is rarely a manager on duty or in the building. Usually one staff member. After an half hour, the manager could not fix the TV and was going to leave. I had to ask for another room. Again, after waiting for some time, I was moved. Unbelievably, this one was worse. The windows had glass shutters that don't shut all the way, all street noise can be heard, bugs fly in as well as lizards. There are bars on the windows from the inside. The curtains can't be moved to let what little sunlight there may be, in. Dirty dishes were left in the sink, microwave was flithy and not cleaned. Inside of shower and sink in bathroom was dirty too! Not sure if the shower was ever really cleaned by "housekeeping". The overflowing hotel trashcans were next to room and abandoned construction materials. The TV in this room had a permanent green line down the middle of the picture.
The pool, a disaster. Chipped paint from around the outside of the pool falls into the pool. Not sure if the water is ever cleaned. Didn't appear to be. The wall dividing this buidling and the next is plywood. The view from the 2nd floor and up is a view of garbage next door.
The in room wi-fi was falsely advertised. There is a computer available is in lobby. Same with wi-fi, in the lobby only. Small love seats to sit on while listening to religious radio over head if you want to use your own laptop.
What the hotel fails to mention is that the free continental breakfast is two blocks away in another hotel. There is a microwave for guests to use, OUTSIDE by the pool.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled on business
2  Thank keeptraveling01
Reviewed November 19, 2009

Had I known they were still building the place, I would have paid a few more bucks to stay closer to the boardwalk. Tropical days get hot, so they start construction in the cool of the morning...about 7:15 am. Every. Day. While I was there they were cutting tiles to extend the patio and lumber for some other part of the work site. I would have complained except most days I was up at 7:30 anyway to go diving.

The few days I didn't have to get up early, the noise was unbearable. Forget afternoon naps, or relaxing by the pool (no lounge chairs anyway). I have no idea why they put me in a room 20 feet from the bandsaw when the whole place was nearly empty. I know it was nearly empty because when I complained that the shower never got warm, they said I had to leave it running because it took longer when there weren't many guests. It was about 15-20 minutes wait for warm water each time...so much for conservation. Luckily I was able to use the extended cool shower to rinse my scuba gear. Of course the warm water came faster on the weekend, when the hotel was packed with people...very loud people who came in from the bars at 2:30 am and yelled up and down the courtyard for an hour despite my calls to the front desk.

The room had a fridge, which is crucial because the restaurants are expensive and close early. However there was only one microwave...outside, in the courtyard, in the middle of the construction. Not even sure if it was intended for use by guests.

Piles of lumber and other construction materials were stacked in the areas that were supposed to be emergency exits, according to the map in the room. Both "exits" were padlocked iron gates. The only way out was through the lobby.

Half the outer wall of the courtyard is plywood with a frame of 2x4s. And they didn't seem to be working on that part. The photos on the website show a brick wall, with a big tree conveniently obscuring the temporary lumber wall.

The lobby also looks opulent in the photos...but that's not the whole story. The flowers are artificial and permanent, and there are speakers playing an island radio station very loud...complete with commercials and insane DJs. On top of this you'll usually hear whatever different radio station the person at the desk is listening to on the computer. The one time I wanted to buy something from the bar, the kid at the front desk said he didn't know if he was allowed to sell anything. I wouldn't have spent any time in the lobby at all except it was where the free guest computer was...this was one of the reasons I chose the place...I didn't want to bring my laptop.

Apparently they had just re-painted the white wicker furniture in my room because some bags I had leaning against the nightstand got streaks of white paint on them. There was a nice flat-screen TV, but it was mounted so high on the wall that the top touched the ceiling.

Overall? I was there to dive, so a room with a working shower and a decent bed is all I really need. They made the bed and appeared to replace the towels every day. The bed was comfy if you stayed off the side with the broken springs. However I wish I'd known about the construction...I would have stayed somewhere else. It just didn't occur to me when I was making the reservation to ask "By the way, are you done building the place I'm paying to stay?"

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled solo
3  Thank Amanda C
Reviewed February 29, 2008

25 years ago, my fiance and I moved to St. Croix, and for a few months, we made the Danish Manor-know then as The Chart House- our home.
I had always held fond memories of the place, and was dismayed to see, while looking at this and other websites, that it had fallen into a sad state of disrepair.
Then, last month, we moved back down to St. Croix, and required a place to stay while acquiring a house. Out of a sense of curiousity and loyalty, we went by to check it out.
We were thrilled to see that it has been bought by the people who own the King Christian Hotel, and is lovingly and beautifully being restored and improved. And the name has been changed to The Company House Hotel.
While we were there, there was still some construction going on, but it is done as unobtrusively as possible. and if you greet the workers with a cheerful "Good Morning", you will find them quite accomadating.
The staff is very friendly and helpful, from the desk staff to the chambermaids. We even enlisted the assistance of some of the construction workers to help with out luggage when moving out! Unfortunately, there are no elevators, and 3 floors, so be prepared to shlepp what you bring. But the views of the harbor from the 3rd floor veranda, and the treehouse, are well worth the inconvienience. Look out for the schooner Roseway and it's beautiful red sails. It winters in Christiansted every year. There isalso some wi-fi available, and the treehouse is a charming place to access it. There is also a computer in the richly appointed lobby for lodgers to use.
The rooms are fairly standard, but they are very clean and bright and comfortable, and they each have a mini-fridge. There are also flat screen TVs and satellite, so if you need that sort of thing, it's there.
There will soon be a bar in the lobby, and a breakfast/ reception room for complementary continental breakfasts and evening cocktail receptions. For the time being though, just take a short walk to the water-front and the King Christian Hotel provides a breakfast bar. Just tell the attendant that you're staying at The Company House and your room number .
I would definately recommend The Company House to anyone who wants a clean, comfortable, friendly hotel with an excellent location at a reasonable price. Tell them the Stories sent you!

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
4  Thank cheesetart