“A Caribbean Gem”

Hotel on the Cay
Ranked #5 of 14 Hotels in Christiansted
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed February 1, 2014

My husband and I just returned from a relaxing winter week at HOTC. Having read the reviews, we were prepared for a lovely quiet location at an "old time" Caribbean resort. This is exactly what we found! It is not glitzy, or busy with entertainment. It is owned and operated by the time share owners, but there are many rooms that are rented as hotel rooms. Our room and balcony overlooked a series of decorative pools which interconnected with rock walls and little waterfalls running down the hillside. The view also included the immaculate swimming pool and the beach and bar/restaurant., as well as sailboats in the harbor and the town of Christiansted across the water. On Tuesday nights the restaurant serves a delicious barbeque on the edge of the beach, and includes steel band music and Caribbean entertainment. The 2 minute ride across the water on the little ferry run by the hotel was a pleasant and fast way to reach the town and boardwalk restaurants running along the waterfront. Our very clean room included a newly refurbished bathroom, small kitchen area with sink, under the counter fridge, microwave, toaster oven and coffeemaker......all we needed for breakfast and lunch. The bed was comfortable with a new mattress. Sitting on our balcony, with coffee in the morning and a rum drink in the evening as the sun went down over the hills in the distance was delightful, and I hope the negative reviews won't prevent people from enjoying this wonderful place in a unique location!

2  Thank Carol B

Reviewed January 30, 2014

I have stayed here several times and as long as your not expecting the Ritz you will have a lovely time. The snorkeling right there around the little cay is beautiful and very entertaining! Don't miss the resident octopus near the back of restaurant / beach area. This is a nice quiet location if you don't want to be in the middle of all the rabblerousing that can be Christiansted in the evening time. Overall the staff are friendly and helpful. I love this place for too many reasons to list :-)

Room Tip: Top floor rooms have most peace and quiet
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank caribbeanfruit
HotelOnTheCay, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel on the Cay, responded to this reviewResponded January 31, 2014

Dear Caribbeanfruit-

Warmest greetings from Hotel on the Cay !! I am glad to learn that you enjoyed your stay and really look forward to keep welcoming you for many years to come. Best wishes from all of us here at the Hotel on the Cay!

Reviewed January 26, 2014

We didn't stay in the rooms or go inside the hotel so I can't speak to that.
We did however pay the $5/person ferry charge and spent about 3 hours relaxing at a table, enjoying the view and some snacks. Started with conch fritters then shared a plate of blackened mahi. Played some skip-bo and downed a few frozen drinks. I feel like we got what we paid for however the service was the added bonus. Our waitress was so sweet - a genuine cruzan soul. We are hoping to go back when they have some live music and do it again.

Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple

Hello SimpleKraft,

Thank you very much for such a generous review. I am delighted to read your comments and learn that you have been impressed with our unique island paradise. We are looking forward to your next visit & do not hesitate to contact us for any pre-arrival arrangements.

Reviewed January 21, 2014

We had booked a trip to St. Croix as a little get away from all of the bad weather in the states. Upon arrival there was no reservation for us. Had made the reservation weeks in advance and I had talked with the booking office as early as three days prior to our arrival. The young lady in the hotel office had not been trained properly and had to be told to call her manager, who was not on property. The manager finally agreed to have her show us two rooms and said we could stay the night, however she would check into the situation the next morning. Meanwhile we contacted the booking office and they said the unit we were suppose to have had been taken out of service and somehow our name had been removed from the reservation list. What rooms we were shown were nothing like what is on the internet. We actually were suppose to have had a unit with kitchen area. Rooms were smelly, dirty, one room did not even have a headboard on the bed, no bedspread, dirty looking pillows, lamp shades stained, walls needed to be plastered and painted, bathrooms filthy, broken cabinet tops, etc., etc.The outside of the property is also in bad need of repair. If someone would go in and tear this place down and start over it could be a paradise. The setting on the island is unique and the beach was pretty. Beyond that I cannot say anything good about the property. We ended up leaving and went to another property that turned out to be great. I would never go back to this as it is and would not recommend that anyone else do so. We did not go there expecting a five start property, but did expect it to be clean and good condition.

10  Thank Jo Anne M
Reviewed January 20, 2014

We arrived late on New Year's Eve-after flying for the day we were not quite ready to party at tuesday night all you can eat, dinner show. I have not read good things about it on TA but we were exhausted and that is why we didn't try it. New Year's Day rolled around and we had coffee (you can get it in the office-we had brought milk/sugar from the states (more below on this)) on our balcony overlooking the ocean. Idyllic. We put on our suits to hit the beach and my H says "Wow the beach is right here!".

The rooms were okay-nothing great. Good mattress, it was new. It was nice to have microwave, toaster oven and fridge. I knew food would be expensive in St. Croix so we packed a lot of our own food for breakfasts and lunches. Tuna, PB, Mayo, coffee, sugar, bread, oatmeal. So we only had to go out for dinner.

The staff was very kind and helpful -We traveled during the whole Jet Blue canceling flights to Bos/New York and got stranded on St. Croix and the staff was super nice about it. They would all laugh and say "You are still here?"

My one gripe is that they make you take an inventory of the dishes and towels in your room upon arrival. As others have noted this is not very welcoming. I felt like I was doing homework and really?? I have to note that there is a dish rag by the sink??

All in all it was a laid back place, kind of like the whole island-it seems to roll up the rug at 8:00PM and if you are looking for a place to party, St. Croix is not it. But we had a great time there and at HOTC -if I went to St. Croix again I would consider going to HOTC. However I think there are other Caribbean islands that I would like to explore.

1  Thank Kath12

Dear Kath12,

We are delighted reading your review and at the same time; we appreciate you allowed us to know that you have had a great time with us, as well as the aspects you have enjoyed during your vacation in our Resort. You'll be happy to know that the inventory sheets are a thing of the past!

Thank you for your feedback, and please, do not hesitate to get in touch with us for any further assistance or requirements for your next visit to our great beach hotel.

Reviewed January 20, 2014

BEAUTIFUL location! Older hotel, reminds me of the 60's (which were VERY GOOD YEARS for me!) Friendly staff. Room was decent! (room 309 and 312) Clean and comfortable. Had kitchen area, all the necessities. Quiet. RELAXING! Some guests are "timeshare" holders, who have a vested interest in the place. That, to me, is a good thing! Especially liked the idea of going downstairs to an outdoor restaurant for breakfast! The BEACH is private and beautiful. Lounge chairs, umbrellas available. Little "convenience" store at the dock. Ferry to Christiansted for shopping and other sites of interest and decent places to eat on the "boardwalk". I would stay here again. I would recommend Hotel on the Cay to those people who are looking for some privacy and relaxation with an awesome view and beautiful beach! Thanks to Jessica, Jennifer, and boat captains, and all the others who served us! To the "younger" set, think about what you're really looking for when you book a room, and don't knock Hotel on the Cay if it's a little "sleepy paradise"... some of us like that!

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank Terri V

Hello Terri V,

It is good to know that our warmth and accommodating staff, our services and amenities as well as the entertainment were of your preference. Thank you for your collaboration! We will be more than happy to host you again in your upcoming vacation here in St. Croix!

Reviewed January 3, 2014

This review in no way reflects an attempt to gain retribution and compensation from the hotel but rather offers an honest and respectful account of our experience.

My girlfriend and I just got back from a 5 night stay at Hotel on the Cay in Christiansted.

This place is certainly not a luxury resort but it was a decent spot to stay and it seems that it has the potential to be groomed into something a little less dated once the economy picks back up a little and some more funds are available to update the place.

The Hotel does have direct access to the only beach in Christiansted which was an added bonus to us since we traveled to St. Croix to relax. I'm not sure if the beach is directly associated with the hotel, but you have to pay to rent umbrellas and cabanas for the day. At least the white lounge chairs are free to patrons of the hotel. This is only my opinion, but it seems cheap that you have to rent those items as a patron of the hotel. There are some permanent umbrellas which are spread around the beach but you have to fight for a spot around them.

The first thing we noticed when we got to the place was that the blue water feature which surrounds the south side of the hotel was all dried up. I'm not sure why, but I'm assuming costs play a factor. I think the general dated vibe of the place would have gone up had this been operational.

Once we were received at the front desk, it was apparent that we were on "Island Time." The staff that we met were friendly enough but slow to respond.

We were given our keys and a magazine with some local information but were not directed by the front desk staff to fill out the room inventory checklist which we later found was a requirement once we settled into our room and discovered it within the magazine. I'm not sure why a hotel would have this kind of a list considering that the cost of dishes, silverware and towels is small compared to the price of a room stay. Having to fill out this kind of list made the place feel cheap and unwelcoming, especially considering the fact that we paid a decent amount of money to stay here and the rooms are serviced daily. We were also not directed to read the hotel information packet which was hidden within the nightstand and gave us some useful information about the hotel’s amenities (i.e. access to the pool with your room key, etc…) It seems that some of the information about the hotel’s amenities could have more easily been described to us verbally at the front desk to ensure that we had a smooth and enjoyable stay.

We did have one issue with our Air Conditioning Unit during the second night of our stay. When I pointed this out to the front desk staff the following morning, they instructed me that they would take care of it. Upon entering the room in the late afternoon, it was apparent that it had been cleaned, however the AC unit was still not operating. I mentioned this to a staff member which directed me to go back to the front desk. I was told that the maintenance person said "it was frozen and needed to defrost" which I had a hard time believing considering the fact that it had been inoperable for 10+ hours and the temperatures were near 84 degrees all day. It seemed more likely that nothing was done at all and it was just assumed that was the issue.

It appeared that another staff member also had doubts about frost because he accompanied me back to the room and immediately tried to resolve the issue by checking electrical breakers and the like. He finally offered that we change rooms which was the best solution to the issue and one which we appreciated. The service staff that helped us with the AC was a young man however his name escapes me. He was the friendliest and most helpful person I met during my entire stay at Hotel on the Cay. I would suggest that his management commend him for his helpful attitude and professional demeanor.

The sliding glass and screen doors in both of the rooms we were accommodated in were hard to open and not sitting properly on their tracks. From reading other reviews, it appears this may be the case throughout the hotel which is unfortunate because the balcony areas are truly an enjoyable place to enjoy a morning coffee or breakfast.

The captains which drive the ferry boat back and forth from the mainland to the Hotel were also extremely friendly and very helpful. They were also very responsive when asking for opinions on local activities and seemed to take a genuine interest in making our stay as pleasurable as possible.

In regard to the rest of the staff, it was just kind of a weird vibe the whole time we were there. We sometimes got the feeling that we were bothering the service staff and we were not always sure that their top priority was to make our stay as pleasant and smooth as possible.

Overall, the stay was decent and it was nice to have a kitchenette (with toaster oven) in the room because the restaurants around the area can become very pricey. For anyone looking to save some money on a couple meals, I would recommend taking a trip to the Pueblo Supermarket so that you can take advantage of the refrigerator and toaster oven in each room.

The only thing that really ticked us off was the fact that we had to rent the outdoor grills at a cost of $5 to $10 per use. We opted out of doing this and used the toaster oven instead. I would have been much more inclined to use this hotel amenity had it been included with the room. The cost of propane is well worth the enjoyment of a hotel patron in my opinion.

We also had a slight issue with the price of rooms being described as much cheaper at the front desk then when we had booked online. Since we had booked online, we were ok with paying the price we signed up for. However, when we asked if there was a way to compromise on the price, we were directed to call the management company which was apparently not associated with the front desk staff. It felt as though we were getting more of a run-around than dealing with a staff member that was willing to help by directly calling management and resolving the issues of a paying guest.

Other than what was described above, we have no issues with the hotel itself. I would however recommend to anyone planning a stay that you do not eat at the Harbormaster Restaurant which is also located on Protestant Cay. The Restaurant is not associated with the Hotel but everything kind of meshes together on the Island and you may think that it is. Feel free to read the review of my experience at the Restaurant for further information.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
6  Thank JimboT1

Dear JimboT1,

Thank you for your feedback. It is good to hear that you have enjoyed the variety of offering at the hotel including the kitchenette and complimentary lounge chairs. On the other hand we would like to apologize for not meeting your expectations during your stay regarding maintenance concerns.

We do hope that you consider a return visit as we would be too thrilled to have the opportunity to welcome you back in our hotel.