“Nice Spot, Quiet”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Nice Spot, Quiet”
Reviewed June 18, 2008

The Hotel on the Cay is an island in the middle of the Christiansted harbor. Basic rooms, clean, microwave and coffee maker. They will bring you a small frig is you need one (no charge) The beach is clean, has a beach bar, good for snorkeling.There is a pool that is a wonderful place for a quiet swim at night. A boat takes you back and forth to the main street (about 30 second ride). It's not a big, fancy place, but it is definitely a comfortable place. The staff is great!

• Liked — Beach and Pool
  • Disliked — Beach Restaurant closes too early
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled as a couple
2 Thank queban

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (137)
Houston
Reviewed April 8, 2008

A total DUMP. We were aware of the dated rooms and read previous reviews, but this place should be closed and gutted and completely renovated. From the restaurant to the lobby to the public areas to the room --$29.95 would have been too much to pay for this hotel. We have stayed at limited service 'Motels' and had nicer accommodations. It is one thing to be dated and another to be a dump. Everything in the room has either been used for 30 years (and looks it) or is broken, rusty, cracked, torn, peeling, or dirty. The shutters on the entry door were broken, half of the kitchen supplies were missing, the mattresses appeared to be from the 1970's, and we couldn't get the tub to drain. Towels for the beach had to be exchanged at the Front Desk. We had the same towels for 3 days - the desk just told us every time-"maybe tomorrow we will have towels". Service at the beach restaurant was non-existent. Unless you are a local (which they had plenty of) forget about getting served. They even shipped 30 local kids in one day for lunch. What a surprise that was for a quiet day at the beach. Don't let the 'island' promo fool you. The setting could be beautiful and this place has potential. But it needs ALOT of work. Stay far far away until they renovate or demolish.

Stayed March 2007
1 Thank MarkHouston
north carolina
Reviewed March 30, 2008

I returned yesterday /329/2008 after a 7 day stay in St. Croix. This hotel is not the Ritz but it served its purpose for me. First the location is perfect. You are in the heart/hrtbor of Christiansted and you are the only hotel that has a beach (in downtown). The ferry was perfect and runs every 10 mins until midnight and once across the water you can walk, shop, drive etc. Some of the families had children with them but I think that you really need to be a water fanactict to truly enjoy the experience. Food is expensive but good but alcohol which is duty free is dirt cheap. Prices for jewerly can be quite a bit so you may want to shop around before buying those pieces that you can not leave the island without such as the hook bracelet. Also while there be sure to take the island tour with Sweeney - it was a great experience and he can also provide insights to other activities on the island. I plan to return very soon and if I stay for 7 days i will stay at he cay once again. If you decide to stay at another location not located by the harbor/boardwalk you will spend quite a pretty penny in taxis.Overall the hotel is a great value for the location. The rooms have a mini fridge that comes in handy at times. The people are friendly and when they say come again they mean it - i loved the experience.

Stayed March 2008
3 Thank dslim
Maryland
Reviewed March 30, 2008

I just spent six nights in Room 208 at the Hotel on the Cay with my husband and 7 year old and we all loved it. After reading the reviews here, I expected a much less nice room and was pleasantly surprised to find a lovely room with beautiful tiled floors, a nice kitchenette, and a nice balcony with a great view of the ocean. l admit that I don't live in a new house with the luxuries that Americans seem to expect today in their homes, so I may be unusual in my standards, but we were more than comfortable in our room...we loved it. And right outside we had a great beach with convenient snorkeling any time we wanted, a pool that was both elegant and kid friendly, and drink and food service (breakfast and lunch) on a shaded patio with a full view of the beach, so the adults could relax while the kids played in the water. In addition, we appreciated the convenience of the planned activities the hotel offered -- including the fabulous snorkeling with Peter-- and the friendly and helpful on-site watersport business run by Duane and Michele. And any time we wanted we could jump on the ferry and cross the harbor to Christensted to shop, eat, or just wander around to view the great historic buildings. We had a great time and would definitely recommend this hotel, especially to families with kids.

• Liked — The location
  • Disliked — Wish restaurant was open for dinner
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
6 Thank Mary I
Huntington, WV
Reviewed March 15, 2008

As others have mentioned, the rooms were a bit dated, but who needs an extremely nice room when you are in paradise?

St. Croix was simply an amazing time. You get all of the amenities of the other more "popular" islands with the laid back culture of the locals.

The nightlife was somewhat lacking, but you could always find somewhere to drink and someone to drink with.

We ate at the Avacado Pit every morning for breakfast. Nice staff and great food.

I truly enjoyed my time on St. Croix and can't wait to go back.

Stayed July 2005
2 Thank Fisher111
Portsmouth, New Hampshire
Reviewed March 3, 2008

The location and value of this property made me rate it as 3* rather than the 2 it really is. In its day this property must have been a gem, now it is in need of repair. The folks there seem willing to help though, as we looked at 5 rooms before chosing one (had a nice balcony overlooking the beach and was in good shape - no room complaints really as we were not expecting plush accomodations and at $133 a nite in peak season, why would you...). Anyone in need of a week or warmth at a rate that may be the difference between going or staying home would be quite pleased here. It's 5 minutes from the boardwalk downtown (Angry Nate's food and drinks were best), has a nice beach and beachfront bar (resturant serve fair priced breakfast and lunches), hotel offers trips to the grocery store (hotel has gas grills on site), free snorkling one morning, nice island entertainment dinner on Tuesday's that well over 150 others from across the island come over to... A good spot but there's no doubt in areas it can look like a 25 year old Holiday Inn. But this year we paid less here than at the Cinnamon Bay Campground on St. John the year before where we had no bathroom.... Now if they could move this hotel and price to St. John I'd be a happy man as the island of St. John, in my estimation as a nature and nice beach lover, blew St. Croix away... Maybe more history and archetectural site-seeing to do on St. Croix tho... I'd go back to St. John 1st if I could, though.

• Liked — Makes a Carribean vacation affordable and has on-site beach and pool
  • Disliked — Could use upgrading but that might negate first item noted above as prices would rise a lot
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled with family
2 Thank DonaldFagen
Washington DC
Reviewed October 30, 2007

Here is an overall review for my Honeymoon stay at Hotel on the Cay, STX from October 20th-27th 2007.

First off, I want to write that I have stayed in some FINE hotels - so If you want a 5 Star, look elsewhere; St. Thomas or St. Johns may be your ticket (and I'm sure the St. Croix locals could care less and be happy about their jewel without you!)

Upon arriving at the AIRPORT my Wife and myself were wondering what we had gotten ourselves into. We grabbed our bags, and got a cab from the airport to Hotel on the Cay. We were both a little weary (coming from Washington, DC) about how safe we were, being that we were in a desolate/remote type non-touristy area. After driving with the cabbie for a few minutes, we were pleasantly surprised at how nice, and good natured he was - which put us to immediate ease. He was from Dominica, but had family in our home town, which was great! Total Roundtrip from the airport with 2 bags including tip was $25; not bad at all.

Upon arriving at the docks for our hotel, we looked across the bay at Hotel on the Cay and saw what looked like a 60's Hotel situated on it's own private Island.

Freddie our Boat driver pulled up, took our bags on the boat for us, and as we ferried our way to the hotel on the ferry, gave us FRESHLY picked banana's from his back yard! What a very nice way to invite someone to their Island! Delicious, and fresh banana's withOUT the DOLE logo on it! Amazing! And they were, NO LIE, the best banana's we'd ever eaten.

Checking in to the Hotel was a breeze, and the Woman who handled it (a very nice hispanic woman) did so quickly and with top service.

Arriving into the room was an experience. The Bathrooms looked like the Magnum PI era, and the Sliding Doors were HEAVY and LOUD and very tough to move (you will easily wake up anyone sleeping in your room!). They also did NOT lock. The Front door was similar; it had Wooden slats and a screen separating yourself and the outside world. Not very secure in my Opinion, and security when you're NOT at home is VERY important to my family and my piece of mind. Aside from that, our Suite was perfect - CLEAN and had NICE comfortable beds with CLEAN Linen's; That's All I need in life! It's NOT the Ritz-Carlton as others have mentioned, but one nights stay at the Ritz, equals an ENTIRE week at Hotel on the Cay! But this is a POSITIVE as it Leaves more money for Gaming, Snorkling, Eating, Rentals, Taxi's, etc!

Everyone, and I DO mean everyone on the Island which HOTC resides on was EXTREMELY Friendly! If you are a snot, don't even bother staying here - you have islands you are welcome on!
HarborMaster Cafe was a nice touch to the Island. Even though they are generally CLOSED after 4PM, they have a decent breakfast, and Lunch menu. It was all Fresh tasting, good food! Not Gourmet, but very good nonetheless. Erol the bartender is a beast, and a good guy! You need to talk with him when he's not so busy!

A Few things to look out for: If it rains when you are at HOTC, BE CAREFUL on the Stair Rails, ESPECIALLY if you've been drinking! They are Old, rusted Stair rails, that In My Opinion, would give out if you actually leaned your full body weight onto them. Also, be aware that the tiles on the walkways are sealed tiles, and EXTREMELY Slippery when wet! Broken Ankles in paradise is NOT cool! The grounds are a little worn out, but what do you expect for a NORTHERN most island which bares the storms? The groundskeepers do a good job, and are always working and very friendly.

St. Croix itself, the what to do's:

Rent a car, and drive to Point Udall and just DRIVE around the Island! It's a desolate area, but gorgeous, and you can say you went to the furthest Eastern tip of any US Occupation! Use caution though, and if you feel like you're going the wrong way, then TURN around! It won't hurt.

Visit Fort. Christian, and first Lutheran Church. Amazing!

Visit /Snorkel at Cane Bay! Fabulous beach, with GREAT snorkling and BAR right on it! One word of CAUTION if you are driving from HOTC to Cane Bay: The sign for 80 is TAKEN down <it's a right turn towards the coast>. If you continue I believe SOUTH, it will take you up to a OFFROAD scenic route, which In my opinion is a TRAP for Trouble. I say this, because we found ourselves in a junglelike area, with locals on the streets watching up go this route. When I realized we weren't in Kansas anymore, I turned around and drove back. On our way, we found a wallet in the middle of the road. We ALMOST stopped, but didn't. Upon arriving 'home' we were told it was probably a trap, and if we had stopped to pick it up, would have possibly been ROBBED! SO BE CAREFUL!

The ABSOLUTE "MUST DO" when you are there, is to book a 2 hour waverunner tour with Duane and Dustin - From the WaveRunner Rental place on the beach at Hotel on the Cay. They came from Pompano Beach, S. Florida about 1 year ago, took over the business and in My opinion, made an awesome choice of residence! We chose to do a 1 hour Waverunner, plus 1 hour of snorkling at the Barrier Reef. It was amazing! The fish and coral you see are some of the best I have ever seen. I have been to Belize, which is the second best snorkling reef in the world, and this place KILLED it! Duane, his Wife, and Dustin are great people, and run a top notch business. They could not have been friendlier! We look forward to meeting them again in the near future! If you do not use them for a tour, you are severely missing out! You can also rent Snorkling gear for $40 each for a week, and the snorkling right off of the beach of HOTC is excellent as well. We Say Sea urchins, Eels, Starfish, Lobster, Flounder, Crabs, BONEFISH, and about 30 other species of very colorful fish. We even found live CONCH with Beautiful Pink Shells! The $80 for a couple for a week is a bargain, unless you bring your own.

Eating in St. Croix on the first night was tough to adjust to - But we adjusted rather quickly. I recommend stopping on the way from the airport and having the Taxi Driver (or yourself) stop at the Pueblo Supermarket just before you enter town. Grab your suntan lotion, your Chef Boyardee's, Chips, Dips, Water, ETC before you arrive. You'll be happy you didi! Our first night though, we chose to eat at Breezes. It was a $10 Taxi ride from HOTC and was a nice setup IMO. The food my wife thought was great, I thought it was too. Total bill with Lobster, Scallops, tip and drinks was $88. After leaving the joint, we noticed a Police Officer with a German Shepard he was parading around the grounds. We found out later, that Breezes FREQUENTLY gets robbed <and when I say robbed, I mean EVERYONE>. A Native American told me this, and I completely believe her. The next few nights we ate at Rum Runners, which is very good food, and within WALKING DISTANCE from the ferry let off, and it will NOT disappoint. Average Dinner with Tip was $100. Worth every penny IMO.

For our 'nice' Dinner out, we ate at Bacchus . Our Bill including tip was $177, but the service, food AND Staff were worth TWICE that! This restaurant is another MUST do if you like fine dining and service! Seriously, if we could find that food/service/and yumminess for $177 including tip in the DC area, we'd not eat at another place! Highest regards for the owners, restaurant, food and wait staff! FIVE STARS!

For Breakfast, Senanigans ALL the way! Their sausage gravy biscuits were AWESOME! And the service was fantastic! $25 a pair for an excellent breakfast. Hotel on the Cay actually had a VERY good breakfast at the Harbormaster, so you don't even have to leave the grounds!

All in all, we didn't just enjoy our first trip to St. Croix/ Hotel on the Cay, we FELL in love with the place! So much, that I am actively pursuing a time share there! We miss it tremendously, and wish we were there as I write this!

If you don't go there based on my review, then THANK YOU! St. Thomas or St. John's are more your speed!

Much love to everyone residing on St. Croix!

• Liked — AWESOME SERVICE
  • Disliked — Roof leaked during Torrential Storms
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
29 Thank WashingtonDCLocal