“I Left My Heart At Divi Carina Bay Resort”

Divi Carina Bay All Inclusive Beach Resort
Ranked #7 of 14 Hotels in Christiansted
Texas
“I Left My Heart At Divi Carina Bay Resort”
Reviewed July 23, 2006

I have just spent two glorious weeks in St. Croix at the Divi Carina Bay Resort and Casino. My Husband and I celebrated our 15th wedding Anniversary with my nine year old daughter in tow at this splendid resort. There's more to it though.
Yes the decor and ambiance is relaxing. The rooms are clean and the food is wonderful. The entertainment is abundant and as far as I can tell, the slot machines are loose!!! The beach is just a few feet away and anything you need is at your fingertips. You can read all about the Divi at the website.
I'm here to write about something else. The staff.... The wonderful men and women that worked so hard for our pleasure. I am terrible at names, yet as I sit here I can name every person that had an impact on our trip.
Eddie and Damien took my fear of snorkeling away. They were there to help with the gear and even gave free lessons and tours of the open water. They were even willing to open a coconut for my daughter. Anything, they were there.
The ladies that waited on us and treated my daughter like she was their own, Carteesha, Donna, Andrea. Even Carteesha on a day off offered to babysit, so my husband and I could have a night on the town.
Speaking of town, we would see the staff on their days off and they would take the time to say hello and ask how we were doing.
All these people became our friends.
Junior the cook, Bernice the housekeeper, and the man who can find anything, Edmund, always welcomed us with a smile and everyone, I mean everyone knew our names.
My hat is off to Pat the general manager. I saw him every day sometimes three or four times. This might sound funny, but if there was music, he was dancing.
We were so content when we stayed there that we never went to St. Thomas or St. John.
As I write, I'm missing all of them already. I've only been back home for three days.
So that's my review on the Divi Carina Bay Resort and Casino, oh and Spa (Hello!!).... You know the names of alot of the staff, so if you go there, tell them Kat, Russ and Zoe send their love and their hearts.
Next summer we've decided to stay for three weeks. It will be great to see old friends.

• Liked — The friendliness
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Tips/Secrets — respect the staff
  • Stayed July 2006, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
12 Thank KatTyler

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (252)
new jersey
Reviewed July 18, 2006

Just returned from a week stay at the Divi. Must have been down time because there was hardly anyone there. I felt like i had the whole place to myself. Stayed on the third floor with a view of the pool and ocean. We tipped the maid 2 dollars a day which got us some extra towels and soap. Service at the grill by the bar and the upstair restaurant was extremely slow. The casino has cheaper prices for meals but service there was even slower than at the hotel. Typical meals at the casino were hotdogs, hamburgers, crabcakes, cheestakes. For breakfast they have any eggs, sausage, croissants, and hashbrowns. We also rented a car from the hotel. Centerline car rental brings the car right to the hotel and you can choose to drop it off at the airport or leave it at the hotel at no charge. Rental for 3 days friday(12pm) to monday (12pm) cost $120. Renting was a good idea since taxi prices were expensive($20 one way). Driving is on the left side of the road and the roads were narrow and winding. Drive carefully! Swimming in the ocean was not that great since there was seaweed. The beach on Buck Island was beautiful. They have some reefs off the ocean which was good for snorkeling. I would definitely recommend the divi. There was a good mixture of people (young couples, families with children, adults). The divi always has activites as well. There was a BBQ night with broken glass walkers and macko jumbies, kareoke night, and crab races.

• Liked — The view
  • Disliked — The service
  • Stayed July 2006, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
11 Thank jerseygrl81
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed July 16, 2006

I stayed three nights at the Divi Carina and enjoyed the property. St. Croix is not at the same level as St. Thomas, but I considered this hotel very nice. Everyone was very friendly and polite including the housekeeping, bar, restaurant and desk staff. The property and rooms were very clean. The hotel is a fair distance from town, but I didn't see much in town worth driving in for. The beach is OK with a fair amount of seaweed, but the pool is nice. Compared to other islands, I would give this property a rating of 3.5 out of 5, but compared to other St. Croix properties, a 4.5 out of 5. I recommend it if you go to St. Croix.

• Stayed July 2006, traveled on business
8 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Rogersville, AL
Reviewed July 6, 2006

We had a ground floor room where you could walk right out onto the beach. The view from the pool was beautiful. Room was clean and had a refrigerator and microwave plus a sitting area. Staff was friendly and helpful. My husband uses a wheelchair and whenever we were trying to get it into the car, one of the staff members stopped to help. Food at pool bar was good and reasonably priced. The breakfast at the Starlite Grille was good but I wasn't impressed with the dinner and it was quite pricey. However, there are some excellent restaurants nearby. I would definitely stay here again.

7 Thank sncRogersville_AL
Potomac, Maryland
Reviewed June 26, 2006

I just found TripAdvisor but had to add my thoughts on our trip to St. Croix a couple of years ago. My wife and three daughters, then ages 15, 16 and 19 had a chance to get to spend too much dough on a vacation. As this was a rarity, making a choice of a place was something of a crap shoot. Divi didn't fail to live up to its promotion, however. It was relaxing, then it was more relaxing, and after enjoying great meals and scouring the island for fun, it was back to relaxing. As others have said, the staff is always attentive and go out of the way for you. A number of outstanding restaurants are in easy driving distance, and - at least when we were there - the Divi end of the island was less congested than the center. In all a splendid experience for infrequent islanders.

• Stayed April 2002
4 Thank TW9901
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed June 17, 2006

We arrived in St. Croix Memorial Day Weekend. We had reservations at the Hibiscus. After 2 room moves in the first 20 minutes, we called it quits after the 3rd (see what others have posted about the Hibiscus and you'll know why)! The Hibiscus staff was kind enough to refund us and we immediately called the Divi. They said we'll take care of you. And they did. An excellent room at a very reasonable price. It was clean and comfortable. The property was very nice and enjoyable. We were annoyed by some locals fishing at the dock, which says "NO FISHING." It's great for families and great for couples. The Casino across the street is fine for a night out. Nearby restaurants include Duggans, South Shore and Cheeseburgers in Americas Paradise. We had reservations at the Buccaneer for the second half of the week....but the Divi came through for us during the first half!

• Stayed May 2006
8 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Norman, Oklahoma
Reviewed June 16, 2006

We stayed for 7 nights in celebration of our 14 year anniversary. We go to a different island in the caribbean every year. We thought this place would have a good beach but were very disappointed. The water was only clear for about 3 feet out and then the bottom was total seaweed. The beaches were course with rocks everywhere. We ended up at the pool the entire time unless we left the hotel property. Also, at the Dockside Cafe where you can go in and get coffee & danish was a big disappointment. They were supposed to open at 7:00 in the morning and there were a couple of times that they weren't even open at 8:30 and when they did open, the cooler hadn't been stocked with bottled water and we had to go upstairs to the dining room to get a pastry. When you plan on these things being available as advertised and you have plans to go off of the property and take water, etc.with you and it's not available (more than once), was not our idea of good service. Renting a car is a must on this island unless you plan to stay on your hotel property. If you do rent a car, be sure and get the good pocket map because some of the maps do not have all roads listed and you will find yourself "lost" if you go by them. Buck Island is a must (1/2 of day) and instead of the very crowded tour from Christiansted, we highly recommend the family owned and operated "Buck Island Tour" company. They were great. We ate at several restaurants on the island and went to Cheeseburger In Paradise twice. Great cheeseburgers & the best Wahoo I've ever had. St. Croix is a beautiful island but we prefer beaches and water like you find in Turks & Caicos.

• Stayed May 2006
4 Thank Daizee7

Travelers are raving about these Christiansted hotels

Also consider these accommodations in or near Christiansted
Tamarind Reef Resort, Spa & Marina
Renaissance St. Croix Carambola Beach Resort & Spa
The Buccaneer St Croix
The Buccaneer St Croix
#1 of 14 in Christiansted

Been to Divi Carina Bay All Inclusive Beach Resort? Share your experiences!