“Time share villa” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Divi Carina Bay All Inclusive Beach Resort

You added Divi Carina Bay All Inclusive Beach Resort to your Saves list
Divi Carina Bay All Inclusive Beach Resort
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   5025 Turner Hole, Christiansted 00820, St. Croix   |
Ranked #7 of 15 Hotels in Christiansted
Bucks County, Pennsylvania
“Time share villa”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2014

We were in our timeshare villa for 7 days and cannot comment on the hotel rooms associated with the Divi. We have no complaints on our villa. The villa had a separate bedroom, bath, living area and a balcony. After completing the kitchen inventory I called for the missing pieces that we needed and they were delivered within an hour. The AC and the fans all worked in the unit. Unfortunately the TV reception was not good. I also called maintenance to fix the lock on the door and asked for a chase lounge for our balcony - no problem - both handled the same day. As expected in the Caribbean u will have a few insects and we did but nothing that would upset our vacation. It is best to keep the balcony door closed. After eating at the Divi restaurants for 3 days we decided it was to our advantage to take the "All In" option for our remaining 4 days - if u like to have a drink, even non-alcoholic drinks by the pool or beach then u must do this. Also the buffet breakfast is $32.00 pp - so it made sense for us. And the food was plentiful and good, especially the Caribbean BBQ and the lava ROK dinner. Special thanks to our server Carol - who always had a smile and to Scott who took care of us at the bar. Entertainment is as expected - steel band, fire dancers, Cruzan folk dancing and Jombie dancers on stilts. The casino is down the street and u can arrange for the golf cart to take u there. Plus with the All In food at the casino is included. A shuttle to town cost $25 for two round trip. Its worth the trip. Yes, the hotel is dated and hopefully Divi can invest more money in upgrading the property. However, if u want a vacation with the All In option, good 4 kids, filled with sun, beach, relaxation, good food, drink, and access to a casino then this is the place. The one downside - Wi-Fi is very spotty. Special thanks to Shannon - Supr Reservations. She helped us numerous times before and after our stay. If u have a problem just talk to the German manager Andreas. He is very pleasant and helpful.

Room Tip: For the villas - a higher room will give u a view of the ocean but means a lot of steps.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Traveler2012asia
EC G, Manager on Duty at Divi Carina Bay All Inclusive Beach Resort, responded to this review, July 29, 2014
Thank you for sharing a review of your stay and for bringing your concerns to our attention during your stay. It was our pleasure sharing our culture and history with you. As with any ordinary day in our lives, things simply do not always go the way we hoped. We are happy that we were able to expediently address these matters so that they did not negatively impact your visit.

Shannon will most definitely be pleased to read that she made a difference to your stay. It is comments like these that help to improve staff morale as well as customer service. It tells our staff that every effort they put forward is greatly appreciated. We know that your day to day is busy and so we appreciate the time you took to give everyone a virtual pat on the back.

We hope to see you again!

Manager on Duty

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (226)
Braintree, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2014

Lets start by saying this place was great!! We had our wedding here at the resort and oh how beautiful it was. My planner, Patty Fiske was great through the whole process. she kept me calm while getting our paperwork done, helping me get everything organized for me and me being so far away! The flowers, cake and arrangements all fell into place. The weather was fantastic everyday! The rooms were large, clean and ALL has a view of the Caribbean. We wanted to relax before, during and after our wedding and that is what we did! Couldn't ask for better service, all the staff were great, food was fantastic. A great place to go away and unwind!!..

Room Tip: Each room has a view!!
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Cathy A
Thank you for sharing such a brief but charming review of your special occasion with us. We are happy to hear that we were able to meet the needs of you and your family. We enjoy being a part of seeing to wonderful family become one. Patti certainly is a pleasure to work with and makes the process seem like clicking a button.

Thanks again for sharing a review. We wish you guys many years of happiness together.

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2014

We stayed at the Divi the week of July 7th. First the positives. Overall I would say it was a nice vacation.We thought the food was very good. I'd have to say, especially from the dinners and lunch buffets the chefs seem to really give it their all. The nightly entertainment was...well very entertaining. One night they had a Cruzan folk dancing group that was not only entertaining but educational. I enjoyed the MC's explanation of what we are seeing. This was followed was by the Moko Jombie, another cultural tradition, dancers on stilts. Incredible.

So the issues. The service provided by the wait staff needs some attention. One other review I read stated that many seemed like they didn't want to be there. That is exactly what I said to my wife. There were exceptions of course. I always hoped we would get either Marlon or Beatrice. They should be used as examples when staff are being trained. The issues seemed to be mostly behind the bar. On two different occasions I waited an inordinate amount of time while people behind the bar complained. One time the girl behind the bar completely ignored me while she complained to a manager about how another bartender left the bar the night before. Another time a manager came out to talk to the girl behind the bar about serving drinks without requiring the guest to sign (another annoyance was having to sign for everything in the all inclusive resort, even a bottle of water but I guess that is a business practice) Anyway the manager's conversation with the employee made her furious and I was delayed while she let off of steam to me. I did agree with her that the manager should not have taken care of this within earshot of the guests. (he told her she was giving away the profits) but I do suspect this girl is not a top performer.

There were also issues with the condition of the property. The rooms were OK but bathrooms need some updating. Unbelievably the pool was pretty much unusable. The water was so cloudy you could barely see your feet. We were told that it was safe but that there was a problem and it was being treated. Even still it was not inviting and so we, like most guests stayed away from the pool. That was a big diappointement. We wanted to use the paddle boats but the person in the beach staff told us she "thought" the were all broken. She gave us one to try that she said might be working but it was not. Didn't seem to phase her at all. She was constantly talking on her phone using earbuds. We tried the mini golf course. The water hazards, poorly designed as they were even if working, were filled only with stagnant algae infested water. The carpet on every hole was ripped and on some it was to the point where they were unplayable.

My take on all this is that the place is on the cusp of sliding further downhill if the above issues are not fixed and therefore get worse. On the other hand maybe the combination of two things might make this resort five star. 1) the possibility that property issues can be attributed to multiple areas reaching are end of life and are about to be fixed and 2) management reading these reviews which clearly identify some customer services issues address those issues. Honestly I know any reasonable competent manager would have to agree and perhaps they are taking these up with the owners.

Room Tip: A ground level room would be very nice since you could open up your door and the beach is right ther...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 stars
11 Thank KDPhila
Thank you for taking the time out to share your feedback with us. We share every comment and compliment with our staff so that we may continue to grow within this industry. Your compliments to Marlon and Beatrice will certainly brighten their day.

We are continuously updating the resort, however, as with many areas of island living, things are not moving as quickly as on the mainland. Being as close to the beach as we are means that things deteriorate much faster than we would like. Even stainless steel cannot stand up to the constant barrage of the trade-winds and sea-blast that you would experience while sitting outside on your balcony or even at dinner. As for the ocean's transparency, this is rarely the case. Generally speaking, when the sea is experiencing a natural disturbance such as local and distant strong winds or local and distant storms, the sea will not be as clear as it normally is. This is because these factors kick up sand and other sea sediment such as shells of bits of coral. However, none of these affect the water visibility to the point where you cannot see your feet unless you are standing in a seabed.

Although we are pleased that you were able to take away some fond memories of your trip, we are saddened to read that you were displeased with certain aspects. We try to make every vacation a memorable one. That being said, St. Croix's culture is very un-intrusive. This can sometimes be misunderstood as being aloft or uninterested. In actuality, it is quite the opposite. However, we will revisit the topic with our staff concerning the feedback you have provided.

We work hard to share our Crucian Hospitality and love for the island with all of our guests. While we wish you had a better experience, it is feedback like this that we use to improve on our standard of service.

1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2014

This hotel is older and needs to be razed and totally rebuilt. Food, with exception of pizza and wings, was blah. Good selection of alcohol which was needed to stay there. Glad we rented a jeep and spent most of time away from hotel. I could not picture staying there all day long.

On first day, we were assigned a ground level hotel room. Tile grout dirty and towels not clean. Floor collected condensation which made walking on it in the morning treacherous. We asked for an upgrade and were moved to a third floor suite. This room was a little more bearable in a newer section.

Room Tip: Ask for room in newer building
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 stars
5 Thank QueenTiff
EC G, Manager on Duty at Divi Carina Bay All Inclusive Beach Resort, responded to this review, July 14, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to share a review. We are sorry to hear that you were not completely satisfied with your trip. As a resort dedicated to providing excellent hospitality, we take every comment and compliment and share them with the staff during our departmental training so that we me continue to grow in this ever changing industry.

We are hope that you were still able to take away wonderful memories of your trip to St. Croix.

Manager on Duty

Travelers are raving about these Christiansted hotels

Cleveland, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2014

This was our second stay at DIvi Carina Bay. Married at Shoy's Beach, came back for our first anniversary. I have to say, we LOVE it here! So beautiful waking up to waves breaking and a gentle breeze! The staff is so personable. I apologize, I don't remember all the names, but Marlon, Seida, Kris, Edmond , Ann and all the front desk, ladies in the gift shop and housekeeping are ALL very pleasant! The resort is CLEAN and food is delicious! Entertainment EVERY night! This is not a resort in Las Vegas...it's quiet, beautiful, relaxing and fun! Look at the stars at night...you can almost TOUCH them! I definitely recommend renting a vehicle! It is not difficult and MOST fun to drive around the island yourself! I have learned to go to the WEST, you really need a JEEP! I surprised the captain of the Renegade with our adventure in a Ford Taurus! (shhh!) East End pizza is awesome, the casino is a blast! I'm horrible at remembering names ( see above) but I love the extremely nice woman at the casino and all her stories! I so LOVE hearing all the local stuff! Check out Ziggys and the Bush Tea! We hope and pray this will be our home when its time for retirement. I will move in a heartbeat! Fair warning St Croix: you have time to keep me away! E.C, - You are very pleasant to chat with and I enjoyed hearing your stories about your niece. See you in February!

Room Tip: Premium rooms are a little further from the lobby/dining area, but who cares? Walking in the Caribb...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Wickie3
Thank you for sharing a review of your trip. We are pleased to read that you thoroughly enjoyed your stay. St. Croix has a way of sneaking into the hearts of those that visits. It sure seems as though this is your home away from home! It was our pleasure sharing our culture and history with you.

Until next time..

Phoenix, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2014

The rooms are awesome. The property is great. I love the beach area at the Divi as well. However, there are a few drawbacks to this resort. First of all when we were there it was difficult to get food and drink after hours. And if it is a holiday weekend, it is even more difficult. Keep in mind that the holidays may not match the same dates as US holidays. For example 4th of July is the holiday on St. Croix on the 3rd of July. The staff is not super customer service oriented. They answer questions but don't go out of their way to assist. But for the price this resort is nicely priced as long as you know what to expect. The beds were great and the maid service was also spot on. Overall a nice time.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank diverlisa197
EC G, Manager on Duty at Divi Carina Bay All Inclusive Beach Resort, responded to this review, July 8, 2014
Thank you for posting a review. We are pleased to read that you were pleased with your experience here at Divi Carina Bay. The US Virgin Islands was actually owned by six different countries prior to becoming American Territories and one way that we keep the combined history of the islands alive is by celebrating the moments in time that greatly impacted our culture. For us, July 3rd recognizes the abolition of slavery by then Governor Peter von Scholten on July 3rd, 1848.

We hope that while you were here you were able to see some of the island's celebration of this time in our history.

Thanks again for sharing!

Ycianda :E.C." Granville
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2014

This was my first visit to Divi Carina Bay. After visiting their sister resort in Aruba and loving it I figured it would be just a good. It was. I'm not sure if it was low season but the resort was not crowded. The staff was friendly. The rooms were clean. The food was good. Just be prepared to ask lots of questions because if you don't you wont know what's going on, unless you attend the orientation that they have every morning at 10:00am. I didn't know about this until our 2nd day and I happened to notice it on the menu at breakfast. Other than that me and my family had a fantastic stay.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
4 Thank Vicki W
EC G, Manager on Duty at Divi Carina Bay All Inclusive Beach Resort, responded to this review, July 3, 2014
Thank you for posting a review. We know that you have a choice in hotels to visit and are happy that you choose to have another Divi experience. We are elated to read that you enjoyed your stay.

It was our pleasure to share our culture and knowledge of the island with you and your family. Thanks again for sharing!

Manager on Duty
Also consider these accommodations in or near Christiansted
Tamarind Reef Resort, Spa & Marina
The Palms at Pelican Cove
The Palms at Pelican Cove
#2 of 15 in Christiansted
4.5 of 5 stars 1,035 reviews

Been to Divi Carina Bay All Inclusive Beach Resort? Share your experiences!