“Wonderful lodging on a spectacular island”

Sugar Beach Condo Resort
Ranked #8 of 14 Hotels in Christiansted
Lansing MI
“Wonderful lodging on a spectacular island”
Reviewed December 3, 2009

We just returned from a wonderful 8 day stay. Our party consisted of my husband, two children (11 boy and 12 girl), my mother in law and myself. It was very warm (+90 degrees) and we never turned on an air conditioner. The breezes from the ocean kept every room comfortable. The staff responded very quickly to any request we had which was only for a malfunctioning fan and a can opener (we actually already had one but couldn't find it). The condo is incredibly well equipped. The beach is great and although there is turtle grass it is very soft and not like seaweed or anything.

We tired the kids out by Wednesday with snorkeling and diving and then they wanted a day to hang out by the 60" plasma TV. That worked out really well. There are many movies for the kids which is great.

We stocked food for the week for about 300.00 for all of us and this includes alcohol and Thanksgiving dinner. Pretty cheap even with the prices more expensive on the island. Word of warning..laundry detergent is about 10-14 dollars. Pricey for detergent!

The pool is great and when we weren't in the ocean we were hanging out by the pool. The pool is always open which makes it nice for a late night swim. We got to go to the Jump Festival which is phenomenal if you have the opportunity. Buck Island snorkeling is a MUST.

Car rental is a must and and we rented ours from Judi's. They pick you up at the airport and you just drop it off when you are done. Perfect. The streets are narrow (and left side) but people are really patient with traffic and let you in to the traffic flow.

You need to drive up to Fredriksted and see the sights there. The rain forest is really cool and we went to a couple of the plantations.

If you are looking for a wonderful relaxing time go to St. Croix, stay here and enjoy.

Lisa Moye

• Stayed November 2009, traveled with family
3 Thank Webe58

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
PA
Reviewed November 25, 2009

Five us stayed at Sugar Beach (unit 215 - Theatre on the Beach) ifor 7 nights in November 2009. Overall, it was a great family vacation. SB / TOTB had some good & bad points.

First the negatives: We didn't think the beach was very nice, which is important to us. It was not a soft sand beach and was very very rocky, especially near the water. We found some broken glass a few times, expecially near the border to the adjacent properties. There is turtle grass just offshore which makes swimming a bit challenging...you can't see what you may be stepping on in the grass. The condo needed just a few upgrades; the screen doors wouldn't close right, one shower leaked (repaired) , one wall fan was broken (never repaired) and others were noisy at high speeds. We never turned the a/c on, so we wanted to run the fans.

The positives outweight the negatives. Unit 215 was very clean and well stocked with coolers, towels, and kitchen gear. There were three bedrooms and two bathrooms. Plus, the entertainment system was awesome. The entire complex seemed to be about 1/3 full, so we had the beach to ourselves most of the time. There is an artifical tire reef about 100 yeards offshore at the left border of the property. The family saw more fish, stingrays, lobster, conch, etc there than any other beach we visited. On either side of the resort are two restaurants...Smugglar's Cove and Breezez. Both were very good. Plus, the condo had free wireless and with my laptop we had an internet connection the entire time. The swimming pool was very nice but we only swam in it a couple of times. We prefer the ocean. There is a kayak available for residents of 215 and we used it every day we spent time on Sugar Beach.

We loved St Croix and I would highly recommend renting a car. We rented from Judi of St Croix...they met us at the airport when we arrived and had someone there to pick the car up when we returned. You really need a car...there are too many things to do away from the condo. We spent a day on Rainbow beach (good swimming, poor snorkeling), Cane Bay (good swimming & snorkeling), went horseback riding with Cowboy Stephen near Cane Bay, went shopping & eating in town (less than 10 minutes drive) and took the car to two food markets in the area. The beach bars are cool...we ate at 3 of them including Off the Wall. The highlight of the week was a trip to Buck Island with Big Beard's. That was incredible...turtle beach is a Caribbean postcard and the coral you will see is breathtaking. We also took a drive to Point Udall; the drive along the shore alone is worth the trip.

Overall...it was a great family vacation. St Croix is a quiet island with some beautiful beaches and great sights to see if you rent a car and do some exploring. Even though I had some negative comments about the property, for the price, it was a good value. I would not go again in November though, it was cloudy every day and it rained 3 or 4 times, but the weather didn't damper the great time we had.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled with family
2 Thank PA-Paco
St._Croix_Local, General Manager at Sugar Beach Condo Resort, responded to this review, December 2, 2009
This was a very comprehensive and well balanced review, and we do appreciate it. It is true that November can be a rainy month on St. Croix, and we had 3 weather situations occur back to back this year during the first half of the month. First, there was a week of "northern swells" rolling in from the east coast of North America. When these occur for more than a few consequtive days, they begin to roll stones up onto our beaches. After that, we had a week of days with rain showers culminating in a freak thunderstorm that dumped about 5 inches of rain in 3 hours closing all St. Croix schools and government offices. (It was even mentioned on CNN News up north.) Our grounds crew does beach grooming up to 6 days a week when required, but even this level of grooming cannot keep up with mother nature during conditions like these. It takes some sunny days without rain to bring our beach back to it's normal condition and we regret that it wasn't up to snuff during the reviewer's stay.
Regarding the turtle grass beds , we know that some people view them as a detriment, but they do provide a wonderful habitat for many types of fish and other marine life. (This is why we have good snorkeling just steps from our condos. )
Finally, there were some comments about the condition of the unit that I have personally inspected and will address with our staff and the condo owner. One specific item was the wall fan in the 3rd bedroom. Our records indicate that it was reported on a Friday afternoon and it was replaced with a new one on Monday. However, the unit was rented 2 weeks in a row and I suspect that the report by the reviewer during the first of these weeks must have "dropped through the crack" - and for this we apologize. Thank you again.
oklahoma
Reviewed October 8, 2009

My husband and I spent the most relaxing week in Christiansted, St. Croix for our honeymoon. This Island is so quaint and quiet. We stayed at the Sugar Beach Condominiums which was wonderful. The management was very helpful. We had a studio apartment on the first floor and right on the beach. Because we went during off season there was very little traffic, although the Condo was full the first half of our week there, because of the Iron Man Triathalon.

The food was absolutely wonderful. We never had a bad meal. We went to many different restaurants and had different kinds of food and it all was wonderful.

The weather was perfect. A constant mid 80's during the day and 70's at night. We never once turned on the air conditioner, slept with the doors and windows open. The breezes were awesome. The sound of the ocean and the palm trees waving in the breeze. It was a perfect week. We hope to return again someday soon.

3 Thank cydgg
Ft Collins
Reviewed October 3, 2009

This is the first time we traveled to STX and it was wonderful! We were lucky enough to work w/ the owners of the the condo http://stcroixsugarbeach.com/ Room # 314, which was nice and we had a more personable experience booking our vacation.

In February there are the Christmas winds that create a lot of warm wind but we didn't have any issues w/ bugs and it was quite comfortable at night w/ the windows/doors open.

We stayed in Room #314; it was very clean! Fresh towels and linens. It's nice to be able to walk around without shoes and not worry about getting cooties. The condo was freshly painted, new furniture, new mattresses, and new TV. It was nice to have the option of a kitchen for the nights we wanted to stay in and relax and save a bit of money on food and drinks. However there are 2 restaurants/bars (Smugglers Cove and Breezes) with in walking distance from the condo which are reasonably priced. The patio was relaxing, completely private, and has breathtaking views of the beach. We brought our own snorkeling gear and were able to walk onto Sugar Beach at any time and go snorkeling! :) It's a private beach therefore are no vendors allowed to walk the beach which is nice for relaxation. However we also enjoyed the swimming pool very much. My husband even said "this is the cleanest swimming pool we've ever been in!"

STX is easy to get around. Rental cars are reasonably priced however the trick is they drive American cars but they drive on the left side of the road. However our fears were quickly turned into excitement when we figured out it really wasn't that bad :)

• Stayed February 2008, traveled as a couple
4 Thank wannabebeachbum
Livermore, CO
Reviewed September 29, 2009

This is a great place if you're traveling with family or friends! Restaurants are within a 5 min walk. Beach is quiet ~ units are well equipped!

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with family
3 Thank Beachlover49
Chesapeake
Reviewed September 20, 2009

My wife and I love Sugar Beach and are heading back there again in November for our third stay in 18 months. KC and the gang take great care of us during our trip and we have never had an issue with anything at the Sugar Beach property.. I am an x- resident, growing up on the island about 2 miles from Sugar Beach and then leaving for 30 years (thanks to the US Navy). Sugar Beach is THE place I chose to introduce my family to my island home. The view is awesome, it is centrally located, well maintained and just what the doctor ordered for a relaxing vacation, the sunrises are AMAZING over Green Cay and Buck Island! The pool is terrific as is the beach. Being inside the reef makes for some stunning colors all day long and the water, well, it is just right (and don't fret over the turtle grass, its not seaweed and the turtles need it!) Folks tend to forget that island vacations and vacation locations are unique and not typical stateside "resorts". After all it IS a Caribbean island and there are simply restrictions and challenges that have yet to be overcome in many areas. St.Croix has alot of National Park and Eco-zone things that protect that marvelous American Paradise for future generations to enjoy. Everything is imported either by air or sea and that takes time but island folks have learned to overcome and adapt and we have never experianced anything that could not be "fixed" or adjusted the next day or day after. I highly recommend Sugar beach for a family vacation. Be brave, explore, adapt, and above all enjoy and relax. It's the Caribbean after all mon!

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Pihlcop
Nevada
Reviewed June 20, 2009

This was my 10th time to the island and I usually stay at Chenay Bay. I was so amazed at how much MORE I loved sugar beach than Chenay Bay! Fances and staff was EXCELLENT to say the very least. I felt as if I had finally found home. The condo had a loft and all amenities. Clean, fully furnished, flat screen tv, and stereo. I enjoyed my time in unit 312 more that my own home. The property is emaculate and the gardeners/maintenence men handled anything I needed. In fact, I was given a brand new microwave to use in my unit. I felt safe and had the best vacation of all the years coming. The pool was spectacular and the sugar mill at the pool was bittersweet as I scattered my Yorkshire terriers ashes there. It's more special to me than air. The beach was spectacular. I had so much fun chasing the pelicans down the beach and just hanging out. So peaceful and quiet and wow the view is just spectacular. I am praying every single day that I can return to Sugar Beach. I found home!
Breezes next door....LOVE LOVE LOVE!!!!!! Check out the web cam for sugar beach and you will see the little yellow birds and much much more. Ten star in my book and hey my opinion counts!

• Stayed March 2009, traveled solo
7 Thank alwaysblue9
Also consider these accommodations in or near Christiansted
Tamarind Reef Resort, Spa & Marina
The Palms at Pelican Cove
The Palms at Pelican Cove
#2 of 14 in Christiansted
Renaissance St. Croix Carambola Beach Resort & Spa

Been to Sugar Beach Condo Resort? Share your experiences!