“amazing view, great condo, relaxing, friendly”

Sugar Beach Condo Resort
Ranked #7 of 14 Hotels in Christiansted
Reviewed February 1, 2014

I had the opportunity to travel with family to St Croix in January 2014. We were 4 adults and stayed in unit 313 at Sugar Beach. I highly recommend both that unit and Sugar Beach Resort. The unit, although listed as a one bedroom, has a loft with two twin beds (can push together and I was told the office will provide a conversion kit to turn into king size bed although we didn't try that) and it's own miniature half bath. There is also full tiled bath on main level and queen size bed in master bed. It was perfect for 4 adults - and would be great for a couple and two kids as well. The unit itself was clean, very comfortable and just plain sweet. Furnished with wicker furniture and island decor it was well appointed and we found everything we needed including beach towels, wifi access, tons of books, and an amazing balcony with table and chairs looking directly out onto the pristine waters (still can't get over that amazing turquoise color - and the view from the 3rd floor is superb) where we spent much time and every meal (when we weren't out exploring some of the local restaurants). Kitchen had all the essentials which was great as I enjoy cooking. Morning and evening beach strolls starting right in front of the condo were a highlight. As was watching the amazing kite surfers right in front of the units doing fantastic tricks - although I think the daily diving pelicans beat the surfers. I also loved early mornings curled up reading in the chair on the balcony feeling the island breezes and ocean right there.
Speaking of breezes - I am not very fond of air conditioning and was delighted to find the open balcony doors along with opening the sliding door in the back bedroom created a great breeze through the house and made things very comfortable. On real warm nights turning the ceiling fan or room fan in the loft made sleeping very comfortable as well without the use of A/C. Re: swimming at the unit - There is a large swatch of sea grass in the water in front which took me a little bit of getting used to - however didn't stop me from going in the water. And, once I got used to it, it was fine - and I liked playing around in it. (you can avoid it by staying more shallow or walking a bit up the beach if you prefer) - and of course if you prefer they also have a pool at the resort.
Found the staff at Sugar Beach to be extremely friendly and helpful - from management to the wonderful woman who clean the units. Other guests were also very friendly.
Overall a wonderful, relaxing, easy, kick back, comfortable vacation. I plan on returning!

Room Tip: I think all the rooms faced the ocean. I loved the 3rd floor as I think the view is even better and...
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
4  Thank tamara s
Resort_Team, Manager at Sugar Beach Condo Resort, responded to this reviewResponded February 2, 2014

Thank you for your fabulous review and we are so glad to hear you had a wonderful stay with us and enjoyed your room. We will share your compliments with the team, who work very hard to make sure our guests enjoy their time in St Croix. And, yes, all of our rooms face the ocean! We look forward to your next visit!

Reviewed January 26, 2014

I just had a superb vacation in a one plus bedroom apartment at Sugar Beach, Apartment 313. The staff were super responsive, the apartment well stocked with everything you could need and very clean and location fantastic. Great internet access, well designed and comfortable. Although its called a one bedroom apartment there is a loft area with two beds essentially making is a two bedroom unit. The view is wonderful, I was pretty much on the balcony gazing at the ocean whenever I was in the apartment. And there was no need for air conditioning as the sea breezes flow through the apartment each day keeping is cool and comfortable. The beach is great to hang out on, the pool area awesome and close to the city. I walked there one of the days. A great vacation and sugar beach and in particularly apartment 313 highly recommended.

Room Tip: Check out apartment 313
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Stephen S
Resort_Team, Manager at Sugar Beach Condo Resort, responded to this reviewResponded January 30, 2014

We appreciate receiving your kind review. Your travel tips will no doubt come in handy to future visitors. We are so pleased that you found a particular unit that you like. Sugar Beach offers all different types of accommodations – studios, one bedrooms, two bedrooms and even four bedrooms, all just steps from the beach – so there will be a unit perfect for you on your next visit, no matter what size group you come with! We look forward welcoming you back to Sugar Beach very soon.

Reviewed December 26, 2013

As usual, if you keep reading and/or paying attention to all fake reviews and believe them to be true, my guess is that you should simply stop traveling. I had rented 2 condos here at Sugar Beach resort (IT'S ON THE BEACH!!!!) with my family.

My secondary room was unit 116 (too Funny as the last review portrays this unit to be the worst one), for a second, I thought my vacation would turn ugly due to the last review... but then again I was reminded that I should certainly not trust those drama-like type reviews that are unfounded and fake.

I loved my stays. My family loved their stay as well. Point blank.
This is a true million dollar ocean views!!!!!!! I tried other hotels, but this one is truly special!
The staff is amazing, the manager as well. My room was clean and serviced and I cannot find any single point to complain about. FYI the manager is a "HE", not a "SHE" (just to tell you how wrong postings are in here).

Additionally, my family had ZERO complaint whatsoever about unit 116 OR their stay, or maybe just the fact they wanted to extend their stay (but that's another story).

Our units were fully furnished & had everything: a full kitchen, utensils etc... (even washer/dryer!) I could not ask for more!.

The pros:
The beach is literally in front of YOU and takes less then 30 seconds to reach the water. This is to me the best kept secret Hotel in St Croix. Rates are definitely worth it. I WILL BE BACK!!! Again, you are renting a full condo/apartment! The Staff is so accommodating. Really the island living at its best.

This is THE place to stay if you want to have a true "home away from home", save money comparing to other place on the island and you can't beat the location, surrounded by shops and even mc donald, gym nearby, seriously, I can't tell you more then that. Definitely a place I will keep on coming back. If you bring your Drama Queen attitude, then stay away, this is a place for people that have their feet on the ground.

Thank you Sugar Beach Resort, my family and I had a wonderful Christmas time here and really wanted to tell the world how wonderful you truly are! Thank you!!!!!

Claudio

Room Tip: More then 4 different big shop around, Mc donald (if you don't want to cook in your apartment...
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
6  Thank Miamiusa1
Resort_Team, Manager at Sugar Beach Condo Resort, responded to this reviewResponded December 31, 2013

We are truly delighted to know that you enjoyed your stay with us. Thank you so much for posting your kind comments, we will be sure to pass them along to the staff. This kind of review always gives us a new inspiration to continue to do our best. We agree with you that our location is unbeatable! Hopefully we will be able to welcome you back to Sugar Beach very soon.

Reviewed October 15, 2013

I had high expectations for sugar beach condo, which is why I reserved for my honeymoon in oct '13. My family and I were placed in unit 116, and immediately I felt like I did not get my money's worth. Before reserving, customer service was so friendly and assuring,even insisting it was rental ready, but upon getting the keys I realized that I must have been given a unit that they were not supposed to rent out, but they did anyways. The condo had 2 bedrooms and we were in charge of putting up our own curtains. I did not complain because that is not a difficult task, however, some of the windows would not open or close. The balcony was locked the entire stay because staff could not find the key ( the front desk agent tried to convince me that all balconies were locked down due to safety concerns, but im pretty sure that was an excuse). There were 2 old televisions,one with cable, the other was probably there for display. The phone did not work. There was material to finish renovating stuffed behind the couch. No hot water in the bathroom, and the part that really ticked me off was that the air conditioning did not work. We called the security gaurd, since it said to do so as he was the only one still working, but the phone that was provided was disconnected so I sent a family member to get him. The security gaurd was very nice and helpful, and he advised us that the ac had tripped, and that in the morning we would be moved to a better condo and given an extra night to male up for the night ahead of us. We all slept on a mattress in the dining area because that was the only cool fan. The next morning, we went to the office expecting to get a key to our new condo, and we were told that we had to remain in the condo we were in and that we were not being given the extra night. So we paid almost $150 to sleep on the floor in an uncomfortable condo. The customer service rep who had seemed so sweet and helpful before we had reserved had become unhelpful and gave an attitude until I said that I would speak with the boss about being unsatisfied. I asked for a refund for the final day, but was told that I would not be able to, so I waited for the repair man to fix the ac half an hour later. I am disappointed because I did look forward to this little getaway, but I feel like my family was treated poorly. I tried to call to speak with the manager, but unsprisingly, i still haven't spoken to her.

Room Tip: Stay away from room 116.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
20  Thank CeeCee340
Resort_Team, Manager at Sugar Beach Condo Resort, responded to this reviewResponded October 24, 2013

Thank you for your valuable feedback. I share your concerns, and we are
indebted to you for bringing these issues to light. I did not want to let
your review go unacknowledged.

Let me start by apologizing for the Desk Agent who made the reservation
based upon your having seen the room and verifying that it was acceptable
before completing the rental agreement on Oct.11. It is unfortunate that you
did not inform her that there were 3 adults and 2 children in your party.
Had she known that, a different unit would have been recommended - one that
could better accommodate the number in your party, insuring that everyone
was comfortable. The front desk clerks are granted rate flexibility with
that particular unit, which is why you were able to receive the condo for
such a special rate (the average rack rate for a similar condo is $100 more
per night).

Secondly, I sincerely apologize for you not being able to access the
balcony. A Desk agent was sent down to assist you with this, however you
were not in the unit at the time. Security is a priority here at Sugar Beach
and of course we did not want to leave the balcony gate unlocked without you
in the unit.

As for the AC, it was working the entire time, only the settings were
incorrect. A staff member made the needed corrections the next morning and
then followed up with the AC technician to confirm that indeed the AC was
working properly with no problems.

The Security Guard does not work in the rental office and should have not
misled you with that statement nor do we accept the unhelpful behavior of
the Desk agent towards you – we are in the process of correcting that
problem now.

Finaly, on Monday morning the Reservation Manager went to visit 116 to
address your concerns but unfortunately you had already departed. Please
call us directly if you wish. It is not the precedent of this resort to have
anyone go away feeling treated poorly, I hope that you will give us a chance
to make amends and personally discover the "sweetness" of Sugar Beach that
our many guests can attest to enjoying.

Reviewed September 22, 2013

We stayed in condo 110 on our honeymoon, the place was amazing the condo was clean and very well maintained. The staff at sugarbeach from the office employees to the security guards at nite were friendly and very professional, everyone went out of their way to make our stay memorable and enjoyable. We highly recommend this to anyone wanting a beautiful place to get away from it all.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank couplejaxwest
JBohmann, Public Relations Manager at Sugar Beach Condo Resort, responded to this reviewResponded September 24, 2013

Thank you for your fabulous review and we are so glad to hear you had a wonderful stay with us. We are honored that you chose to spend such a momentous occasion with us. We look forward to your next visit!

Reviewed August 27, 2013

My entire family spent a week there last summer. The staff was absolutely wonderful. Best customer service around. We stayed in #215 Theatre in the Park, I think. The owners left detailed suggestions which proved to be accurate. We wanted for nothing. They even left us a kayak and snorkeling gear. Many people complain about bugs and dust, but it is an island bungalow. I got exactly what I expected and more. Unfortunately, the beach water was covered with seaweed/moss, whatever it was. So we could not swim there at all. But, the pool was clean and we made good use of the complimentary BBQ grill for our poolside gathering. There were very few restrictions so it felt like home. Some of my family members were not as happy with their accommodations. However, I soon learned that though the staff keeps the units clean, the upkeep is on the owners. Apparently, some owners are better than others. However, if you are not happy, the very accommodating staff will be happy to move you to another unit. Personally, I will return to Sugar beach without a doubt.

Room Tip: The upper units offer a beautiful cool breeze
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank rshortstop2
JBohmann, Public Relations Manager at Sugar Beach Condo Resort, responded to this reviewResponded August 29, 2013

We are so pleased to hear that you had such a pleasant vacation and enjoyed your room. Sorry to hear that the beach had seaweed from the recent storm. We do have staff that that rakes the beach each morning. Hopefully the area will be more clear on your next visit!

Reviewed August 13, 2013

We were fortunate to rent one of the 4 bedroom condos. We were traveling with our 2 teenagers and another couple. We could not have asked for a more perfect accommodations for our group. The beach sand was not as soft as I expected but that is not a fault of the resort. We drove around the entire island and I believe this is one of the best places on St. Croix. We went in an off season so everything was very quiet. The night guard, Ron, was a welcomed sight each evening. We utilized the pool/ cooking/dining facilities and made a fantastic lobster dinner. We absolutely loved our trip.

Room Tip: There are only 2 four bedroom condos and they are privately owned. They are on each end of the comp...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
JBohmann, Public Relations Manager at Sugar Beach Condo Resort, responded to this reviewResponded August 19, 2013

We are truly delighted to know that you enjoyed and your family your stay with us. Thank you so much for posting your kind comments and for pointing out that Sugar Beach is a great ‘jumping off point’ for exploring St Croix. We will also look into seeing what we can do about getting new sand delivered. We very much appreciate when our valued guests take time to leave reviews. We look forward to having you back!