“Know what to expect”

Ranked #1 of 14 Hotels in Christiansted
Minneapolis
“Know what to expect”
Reviewed August 3, 2007

I wanted to write this review based upon a lot of the ignorant comments I have read regarding this resort. First off, you get what you pay for. If you pay the average of $200-300 a night - you will get a very simple room at most caribbean resorts. This being said, I don't understand the complaining. When you go to an island - you are not going to New York or Las Vegas. Folks need to realize that going to an island is a very different experience. I had the pleasure of staying in one of the doubloon suites which I payed high dollar for. The room was well worth the money and I have had not stayed in better accomodations over the last 3 times I have been to St Thomas. Mermaid Beach is hands down one of the best beaches on a resort in the caribbean period. The service at the buccaneer is excellent. The golden rule usually applies in the caribbean - if you present yourself as a respectful guest - you wil be treated kindly in return. If you knit pick and shoot your mouth off - this tends to downgrade the service towards your stay. I also had the opportunity to visit other hotels on the island and I can tell you that the Buccaneer is THE HOTEL to stay at. Enough about the resort, now to St Croix in general. The beautiful beaches, activities, and restaurants on St Croix easily rival St Thomas & St John. I can see how some tourists might find Christiansted or Fredericksted scary when visiting if you are there past business hours. However, if you can get past your stereotypes, you will find the people on the island quite friendly. The point I am trying to convey is that if you do your research before going on vacation and have an idea of what to expect - you will be better off for it. Having traveled to the other Virgin Islands previously, I have the benefit of saying that St Croix is a great place to visit and the Buccaneer is an above average place to stay. I know that others may not agree with my opinion, but I have to ask them how they were raised and what they expect when traveling to a remote location. Last point - Get over the price of lodging and dining - it really is no different if you are staying/dining at upscale facilities in major US cities. This is the Caribbean - enjoy what it has to offer and relax.

• Stayed July 2007, traveled as a couple
17 Thank doyourresearch

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (406)
Wilton, CT
Reviewed July 31, 2007

We stayed at the Buccaneer in February 2007. It was the second time for our family (we have a daughter, then 8). While the accommodation (a family cottage suite) isn't the nicest we've ever stayed at, the people, service, and location more than make up for it. It's funny. The pool isn't great. The beach isn't that large and the water rocky. And the accommodation wasn't the most up-to-date (beware plumbing problems). But we truly LOVE this resort. Our daugher always meets really nice kids, whether by the pool or in the kids program. And we have met great people there too. And the staff is always nice and helpful.

This is a classic and classy, family-owned and operated beachside Caribbean resort. It's big, but it doesn't feel big. And the free buffet breakfast and Managers Party make it that much more of a good value and a place you want to come back to.

For families who like laid-back vacations without a lot of frills (though there are a few), who don't need an island chock-o-block with chi chi people or restaurants, St. Croix and the Buccaneer is a great place to stay.

• Liked — Size, price, and location
  • Disliked — Could use some updating, nicer bathroom
  • Stayed February 2007, traveled with family
3 Thank JustJ33
Pompano Beach, Florida
Reviewed July 23, 2007

My husband and I got married at the Buccaneer and stayed at the resort for 8 days. I would say the experience gets mixed reviews.

First, our room was beautiful. It was an ocean front room in one of the "Doubloon" buildings. They upgraded us for free to this room from a room we booked in the Great House. It had a beautiful view of the beach/ocean, a wonderful spa tub, and was very spacious. New, clean, and decorated with a lovely island motif. Very nice.

The grounds and amenities seem dated and run down. We don't play golf, but we walked around the grounds a lot via all the golf paths. The paths were also really nice for my morning jog. Speaking of which, the exercise room was pretty dumpy too. I used the spa facilites to get a manicure before the wedding, and it was not very impressive at all. More like a little small town beauty shop. Kind of run down and the manicure was pretty much just a polish. Certainly no "spa" feel.

The beach was beautiful and the water was clear with a nice sandy bottom. We rented a kayak one day and had a lot of fun (until my arms wore out!). We didn't bother trying to snorkel from the beach, because there are so many other better options on the island. The beach is best for just lying on a chaise, relaxing and reading.

We rented a jeep, so we didn't use the shuttle much (only for the wedding). We would just walk to breakfast or take our car that was parked right by our room to leave the grounds. But we are young and strong and it was always quite a hot, hilly walk. Probably not something the very young or old could handle. So you would have to be prepared to wait for the shuttle.

The restaurants were very good. We live in South Florida, which has a reputation for fine dining, and I found the food at the Terrace to be equal to most of the more upscale options at home. We ate our wedding dinner there and really enjoyed it. The breakfast was really good, and it was so nice to enjoy it with the gorgeous view. The Mermaid is just a casual little place to get a good fish sandwich or a salad. Fine for lunch.

The resort pretty much shuts down in the evening. Other than dinner at the Terrace, there's not much going on. I think the bar was closed by 9pm. If you want to go out, you have to leave the resort. I have to be honest--I found Christiansted to be pretty creepy at night. Not many people except some shady looking locals hanging out on street corners. We only went out one night in Christiansted, but I wasn't comfortable going back. I've never felt that way any place we've ever traveled. The rest of the trip we were back in our room after dinner and did not venture out again til morning. So we just made sure to do lots of fun stuff during the day. And it was our honeymoon, afterall. ;)

So overall I would say that the rooms, the restaurants, and the service were very good. The grounds and the amenities were a little run down, and there wasn't anything to do after 9pm. So that's why the mixed review.

• Liked — the room
  • Disliked — the nightlife
  • Stayed May 2003, traveled as a couple
6 Thank lrmetermaid
Chicago, IL
Reviewed July 21, 2007

We got married and stayed for our honeymoon at the Buccaneer in late April of this year. The wedding was perfect!! It was just the two of us, so there was not much to coordinate, but both my husband and I were really impressed.

ACCOMODATIONS: The rest of our 12-night stay at the Buccaneer was equally wonderful! We stayed in the doubloons, right on the beach, and thought they were fantastic!! The bathroom is huge! You get two separate sinks, whirlpool tub, large shower and a walk in closet. The only REALLY disappointing thing about the room, was that we had requested a 2nd floor room with king bed and were given a 1st floor room with 2 doubles. Not exactly what we had in mind for our honeymoon. The staff did go out of their way to make this up to us by numerous apologies, sending flowers and a free dinner at the Terrace restaurant. We also could have moved rooms later that week, but by that point it would have been more of a hassle to repack everything. As I mentioned the doubloons are located right on Mermaid beach, which is beautiful. However, it is quite a hike to enjoy the complimentary breakfast everyone morning at the Terrace restaurant. They do provide shuttle service, but we enjoyed the walk and the scenery.
Housekeeping was really good for the most part. Sometimes we didn’t get turn down service in the evening, as we were supposed to. Didn’t really care though as I can turn the bed down myself… although we did like the mints on the pillow!

FOOD: My husband and I both thought the food was outstanding. We really never had a bad meal in the 12 days we spent at the Buccaneer. The breakfast buffet is awesome, especially because it’s free! Lunch at the Mermaid and dinner at the Terrace is equally good, but pricey. However, you cannot beat the views from the Terrace. Just amazing. Only downside to the restaurants is they are only open at certain times. For example, can’t get lunch at the Terrace because it doesn’t open until dinner. The Mermaid, closes at different times each day for different reasons. If you stay at the Buccaneer for any length of time, the limited choices do tend to get boring…

BEACH/POOL: The three beaches are beautiful. My favorite was the Mermaid as it was closest to the room and had tons of palm trees. And it was never crowded!!! The only other beach we went to was Whistle beach, which is where we got married and definitely the most secluded of all the beaches. Not good for swimming as it is a rough tide and lots of rocks. If you prefer the pool to the beach, the Buccaneer is definitely not the place for you. The pools are really small and not at all what I would expect at a high-end resort. It didn’t bother us, because I would much rather be at the beach, but I could see where some people would be really disappointed.

ST.CROIX: In general we found St. Croix to be a beautiful island with really warm people. Christiansted is a cute little town, with a boardwalk and marina. Also, some very good restaurants. We ate at Rum Runners twice and the Brew Pub. Both are great places with excellent food. The Brew Pub draws a lot of locals, especially on Tuesday nights when it you get two drinks for the price of one. I would highly recommend both.
We also ate at Cheeseburger in Paradise one night. Its about 5 minutes from the Buccaneer and also was fantastic. Very laid back and don’t forget the OFF. They put it in your room for a reason. The bugs are horrible!! We also did a fishing charter through Caribbean Sea Adventures, which would have been better if we actually caught something and didn’t spend the entire 8 hours nauseas. And we took the Sea Plane to St. Thomas for the day, which was a fantastic experience.

Overall, we would go back to the Buccaneer and St. Croix in a heartbeat. We were impressed with the staff, the accommodations, the food, and most of all the amazing scenery.

• Liked — The scenery, the room, the food.. pretty much everything..
  • Disliked — The Mosquitoes!!!!!
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Jennifer2428
North Brunswick, New Jersey
Reviewed July 21, 2007

My husband and I just returned from our wedding/honeymoon. We hosted a destination wedding at the Buccaneer for 21 of our closest friends and family. It was AMAZING! I am surprised to see the recent poor reviews as when we were researching locations a year ago I read every review on this board and can't remeber a bad one! The Buccaneer gets an A+ from us and I feel rather certain that all of our guests would say the same.
I really feel as though the staff bent over backwards to ensure we had a good stay, and not just us as the bride and groom but our entire group. Is it a large resort? Yes, it is very spread out and hilly, but we found the shuttles to be very promt. Are the pools lacking? Yes, unfortunately they are and I was a bit disapointed by them, nothing like what you would find at one of the big chains, BUT what they lack in pools they make up for in their 3 beaches. (the 3rd unadvertised one is Whistle Beach which is VERY private and hard to get to - we only found it when they took us there via shuttle for pictures after our ceremony) Seriously I cannot say enough about how friendly the staff was, everyone from the shuttle drivers, to the concierge, to the housekeepers went out of their way to smile and say "hi" everytime they saw us and to me that is really what matters! We found the rooms to be clean with BEAUTIFUL views! From our research we found that many family owned resorts in the VI's are a bit outdated as far as decor goes, this was NOT the case at the Buccaneer. We stayed in the Dublooms and our guests were in the Ocean Front rooms. We were all upgraded, free of charge, from our rooms in the Great House after some last minute construction was approved. To comment on the restaurants and the food, the food quality was fabulous, you cannot beat the complementary breakfast! The options are endless and beyond the huge buffet it even includes made to order items from the kitchen. Are lunch and dinner items pricey? Yes they are, but that is just a reality of most hotels. And just so you don't read this thinking I am being too generous with my review, I will say that the wait staff was often slow, and at times not as friendly as the rest of the staff.
As for the wedding, anyone considering a destination wedding would be lucky to hold their wedding at the Buccaneer! Communication with Misty (the wedding coordinator) was fabulous throughout the entire planning process. She returned every call and e-mail and answered every question, no matter how silly. She addressed every concern I had, no matter how insignificant it may have seemed. Christine the concierge was integral in helping to plan activities for our guests and even managed to arrange deep discounts with a local boat charter company! When bees set up camp in the Sugar Mill where our ceremony was to be held the afternoon of our wedding I am told that Brad (of the special events dept) was on a ladder killing them so we could use the space. And please don' t take that to mean the resort has a problem with bees, they don't this really was a fluke, typical of my luck! We looked into almost every resort/hotel in the USVI's to hold our wedding and I can say with 100% confidence that we got the best deal at the Buccaneer. We went with the inclusive Hibiscus package, the price we paid for EVERYTHING was more than fair! We had such a good experience at the Buccaneer that when we left to honeymoon on St. Thomas away from our family & friends we were very let down by the Marriott where we stayed. It paled in comparrison to the Buccaneer! I wish I had more pics to post at this time but I really didn't take too many myself, as soon as our friends send us theirs I will post more=)

• Liked — Room decor was current not at all outdated as w/ many non-chain resorts! Beds were plush and bathrooms were immaculate! Staff was SUPER friendly!
  • Disliked — Price of food! (except for the complementary breakfast which was the BEST value!)
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled on business
3 Thank jessdreams
Valley Forge, Pennsylvania
Reviewed July 17, 2007

I was not going to post a review from our last visit, but after reading the negative things in a recent post, I could not keep quite! This was our second year in a row for a perfect vacation! Upon arriving in St. Croix, the stress was gone, my daughters (13 and 15) and husband had calm on their faces.

As the van pulled into the Buccaneer driveway, I felt as if I had returned home! I went to check in, and the same happy, pleasant faces from a year ago were there to make check-in effortless - and it was. This year we stayed in a Family Cottage, the view was perfect, last year we had 2 ocean front rooms. The room was being finished and we did not mind, as it was clean.

There is not one negative thing I can write about, anyone that is so worried about waiting for anything, is not the type of person that should even go on vacation. Who really needs their laptop? The Tennis is great and the golf great as well. We play both, and really enjoy the views from the courts and course. Why go to a pool while you have 3 of the best beaches in the carribean right at the Buc! The "quiet beach" (Whistle I think), does not have any service other that the sounds of the ocean and a view to Buck Island. It is a little off the trail, but so worth the walk.

The food is very good, breakfast can't be beat! There is nothing better than having grits every morning. It is one of the things I look forward to the most. (We have already booked next year's trip) I am a "home" gourmet cook, and the food is fresh and delicious. The variety changes daily. Lunch is really for the girls, my husband and I pass and have a beverage instead. At the Grotto, there is nothing better than the "Grotto" and at the Terrace, the best is "Raising Caine."

We returned to Buck Island again this year, don't miss out! Book through the hotel, you can get picked up at the dock at the Mermaid beach.

All in all, this is a family run facility that is probably the best we've been to, and we have been many places. You will not ever feel crowded or rushed, only relaxed, well rested, well fed and well cared for. Isn't that what you came for?

• Liked — the view
  • Disliked — NOTHING
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled with family
6 Thank SillyGirlAud
Boston
Reviewed July 11, 2007

The resort was not a 5 star as was advertised. We found that descriptions were at best very misleading as to the amenities.

The 2 pools (which are more than a short walk apart) were VERY small (tiny more like it) and not at all what we had expected.

They had claimed that there were 3 restaurants - well, not really. The mermaid and the Grotto are just beachside grills - while open for lunch and breakfast (mermaid only) they were simple menus of burgers and dogs and such. buffet breakfasts at the Mermaid suffered from very slow service and the food constantly ran out and was only restocked upon request - and after more considerable waiting. The Terrace and the Brass Parrot are actually the same place - which, while the food was very good, was extremely overpriced, stuffy with a snooty air about it and also had a very limited menu.

Advertised weekend entertainment was very light jazz (snore fest) - not the local island music scene that was advertised. There are no bars open at night on the resort - up at the brass parrot - jammed in the corner are a couple of seats where you can pester the dinner bartender and get him to make you a drink - not a welcoming place. No night life at all - by 6:00 PM the place is wrapped up with the exception of diners at the Terrace which is non existent after 9:00.

Check in - while promised at 3:00 - our room wasn't ready until close to 5 - no fun sitting around for 2 hours with your luggage after traveling all day. But boy are they right on the ball with check OUT time.

Watch the package that you book and what they try to charge you for at the end and what they actually deliver to you during your stay - NONE of our package (rental car, champagne, massage, 100$ dining credit) was actually delivered or credited without a hassle of repeated calls, visits to the front desk and repeatedly having to provide documentation.

Snorkeling is pretty poor - while that's really the fault of the resort - but if you are looking for good snorkeling on site - this isn't the place. It's mainly sandy with a small rocky area in between the mermaid and grotto beaches.

We found that all of the things that we wanted - snorkeling, good food, lively entertainment and a social night life - was only found off the resort and at other places around the island.

If you are looking for a sleepy sort of a resort and just want quiet time on the beach - then this is your place. If you are looking for more from a "resort" then look elsewhere.

• Stayed July 2007, traveled as a couple
6 Thank myoung6923
Also consider these accommodations in or near Christiansted
Tamarind Reef Resort, Spa & Marina
Renaissance St. Croix Carambola Beach Resort & Spa
The Palms at Pelican Cove
The Palms at Pelican Cove
#2 of 14 in Christiansted

Been to The Buccaneer St Croix? Share your experiences!