“Wonderful wedding and honeymoon at the Buccaneer!”

The Buccaneer St Croix
Ranked #1 of 14 Hotels in Christiansted
Chicago, IL
“Wonderful wedding and honeymoon at the Buccaneer!”
Reviewed July 21, 2007

We got married and stayed for our honeymoon at the Buccaneer in late April of this year. The wedding was perfect!! It was just the two of us, so there was not much to coordinate, but both my husband and I were really impressed.

ACCOMODATIONS: The rest of our 12-night stay at the Buccaneer was equally wonderful! We stayed in the doubloons, right on the beach, and thought they were fantastic!! The bathroom is huge! You get two separate sinks, whirlpool tub, large shower and a walk in closet. The only REALLY disappointing thing about the room, was that we had requested a 2nd floor room with king bed and were given a 1st floor room with 2 doubles. Not exactly what we had in mind for our honeymoon. The staff did go out of their way to make this up to us by numerous apologies, sending flowers and a free dinner at the Terrace restaurant. We also could have moved rooms later that week, but by that point it would have been more of a hassle to repack everything. As I mentioned the doubloons are located right on Mermaid beach, which is beautiful. However, it is quite a hike to enjoy the complimentary breakfast everyone morning at the Terrace restaurant. They do provide shuttle service, but we enjoyed the walk and the scenery.
Housekeeping was really good for the most part. Sometimes we didn’t get turn down service in the evening, as we were supposed to. Didn’t really care though as I can turn the bed down myself… although we did like the mints on the pillow!

FOOD: My husband and I both thought the food was outstanding. We really never had a bad meal in the 12 days we spent at the Buccaneer. The breakfast buffet is awesome, especially because it’s free! Lunch at the Mermaid and dinner at the Terrace is equally good, but pricey. However, you cannot beat the views from the Terrace. Just amazing. Only downside to the restaurants is they are only open at certain times. For example, can’t get lunch at the Terrace because it doesn’t open until dinner. The Mermaid, closes at different times each day for different reasons. If you stay at the Buccaneer for any length of time, the limited choices do tend to get boring…

BEACH/POOL: The three beaches are beautiful. My favorite was the Mermaid as it was closest to the room and had tons of palm trees. And it was never crowded!!! The only other beach we went to was Whistle beach, which is where we got married and definitely the most secluded of all the beaches. Not good for swimming as it is a rough tide and lots of rocks. If you prefer the pool to the beach, the Buccaneer is definitely not the place for you. The pools are really small and not at all what I would expect at a high-end resort. It didn’t bother us, because I would much rather be at the beach, but I could see where some people would be really disappointed.

ST.CROIX: In general we found St. Croix to be a beautiful island with really warm people. Christiansted is a cute little town, with a boardwalk and marina. Also, some very good restaurants. We ate at Rum Runners twice and the Brew Pub. Both are great places with excellent food. The Brew Pub draws a lot of locals, especially on Tuesday nights when it you get two drinks for the price of one. I would highly recommend both.
We also ate at Cheeseburger in Paradise one night. Its about 5 minutes from the Buccaneer and also was fantastic. Very laid back and don’t forget the OFF. They put it in your room for a reason. The bugs are horrible!! We also did a fishing charter through Caribbean Sea Adventures, which would have been better if we actually caught something and didn’t spend the entire 8 hours nauseas. And we took the Sea Plane to St. Thomas for the day, which was a fantastic experience.

Overall, we would go back to the Buccaneer and St. Croix in a heartbeat. We were impressed with the staff, the accommodations, the food, and most of all the amazing scenery.

• Liked — The scenery, the room, the food.. pretty much everything..
  • Disliked — The Mosquitoes!!!!!
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Jennifer2428

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (407)
North Brunswick, New Jersey
Reviewed July 21, 2007

My husband and I just returned from our wedding/honeymoon. We hosted a destination wedding at the Buccaneer for 21 of our closest friends and family. It was AMAZING! I am surprised to see the recent poor reviews as when we were researching locations a year ago I read every review on this board and can't remeber a bad one! The Buccaneer gets an A+ from us and I feel rather certain that all of our guests would say the same.
I really feel as though the staff bent over backwards to ensure we had a good stay, and not just us as the bride and groom but our entire group. Is it a large resort? Yes, it is very spread out and hilly, but we found the shuttles to be very promt. Are the pools lacking? Yes, unfortunately they are and I was a bit disapointed by them, nothing like what you would find at one of the big chains, BUT what they lack in pools they make up for in their 3 beaches. (the 3rd unadvertised one is Whistle Beach which is VERY private and hard to get to - we only found it when they took us there via shuttle for pictures after our ceremony) Seriously I cannot say enough about how friendly the staff was, everyone from the shuttle drivers, to the concierge, to the housekeepers went out of their way to smile and say "hi" everytime they saw us and to me that is really what matters! We found the rooms to be clean with BEAUTIFUL views! From our research we found that many family owned resorts in the VI's are a bit outdated as far as decor goes, this was NOT the case at the Buccaneer. We stayed in the Dublooms and our guests were in the Ocean Front rooms. We were all upgraded, free of charge, from our rooms in the Great House after some last minute construction was approved. To comment on the restaurants and the food, the food quality was fabulous, you cannot beat the complementary breakfast! The options are endless and beyond the huge buffet it even includes made to order items from the kitchen. Are lunch and dinner items pricey? Yes they are, but that is just a reality of most hotels. And just so you don't read this thinking I am being too generous with my review, I will say that the wait staff was often slow, and at times not as friendly as the rest of the staff.
As for the wedding, anyone considering a destination wedding would be lucky to hold their wedding at the Buccaneer! Communication with Misty (the wedding coordinator) was fabulous throughout the entire planning process. She returned every call and e-mail and answered every question, no matter how silly. She addressed every concern I had, no matter how insignificant it may have seemed. Christine the concierge was integral in helping to plan activities for our guests and even managed to arrange deep discounts with a local boat charter company! When bees set up camp in the Sugar Mill where our ceremony was to be held the afternoon of our wedding I am told that Brad (of the special events dept) was on a ladder killing them so we could use the space. And please don' t take that to mean the resort has a problem with bees, they don't this really was a fluke, typical of my luck! We looked into almost every resort/hotel in the USVI's to hold our wedding and I can say with 100% confidence that we got the best deal at the Buccaneer. We went with the inclusive Hibiscus package, the price we paid for EVERYTHING was more than fair! We had such a good experience at the Buccaneer that when we left to honeymoon on St. Thomas away from our family & friends we were very let down by the Marriott where we stayed. It paled in comparrison to the Buccaneer! I wish I had more pics to post at this time but I really didn't take too many myself, as soon as our friends send us theirs I will post more=)

• Liked — Room decor was current not at all outdated as w/ many non-chain resorts! Beds were plush and bathrooms were immaculate! Staff was SUPER friendly!
  • Disliked — Price of food! (except for the complementary breakfast which was the BEST value!)
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled on business
3 Thank jessdreams
Valley Forge, Pennsylvania
Reviewed July 17, 2007

I was not going to post a review from our last visit, but after reading the negative things in a recent post, I could not keep quite! This was our second year in a row for a perfect vacation! Upon arriving in St. Croix, the stress was gone, my daughters (13 and 15) and husband had calm on their faces.

As the van pulled into the Buccaneer driveway, I felt as if I had returned home! I went to check in, and the same happy, pleasant faces from a year ago were there to make check-in effortless - and it was. This year we stayed in a Family Cottage, the view was perfect, last year we had 2 ocean front rooms. The room was being finished and we did not mind, as it was clean.

There is not one negative thing I can write about, anyone that is so worried about waiting for anything, is not the type of person that should even go on vacation. Who really needs their laptop? The Tennis is great and the golf great as well. We play both, and really enjoy the views from the courts and course. Why go to a pool while you have 3 of the best beaches in the carribean right at the Buc! The "quiet beach" (Whistle I think), does not have any service other that the sounds of the ocean and a view to Buck Island. It is a little off the trail, but so worth the walk.

The food is very good, breakfast can't be beat! There is nothing better than having grits every morning. It is one of the things I look forward to the most. (We have already booked next year's trip) I am a "home" gourmet cook, and the food is fresh and delicious. The variety changes daily. Lunch is really for the girls, my husband and I pass and have a beverage instead. At the Grotto, there is nothing better than the "Grotto" and at the Terrace, the best is "Raising Caine."

We returned to Buck Island again this year, don't miss out! Book through the hotel, you can get picked up at the dock at the Mermaid beach.

All in all, this is a family run facility that is probably the best we've been to, and we have been many places. You will not ever feel crowded or rushed, only relaxed, well rested, well fed and well cared for. Isn't that what you came for?

• Liked — the view
  • Disliked — NOTHING
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled with family
6 Thank SillyGirlAud
Boston
Reviewed July 11, 2007

The resort was not a 5 star as was advertised. We found that descriptions were at best very misleading as to the amenities.

The 2 pools (which are more than a short walk apart) were VERY small (tiny more like it) and not at all what we had expected.

They had claimed that there were 3 restaurants - well, not really. The mermaid and the Grotto are just beachside grills - while open for lunch and breakfast (mermaid only) they were simple menus of burgers and dogs and such. buffet breakfasts at the Mermaid suffered from very slow service and the food constantly ran out and was only restocked upon request - and after more considerable waiting. The Terrace and the Brass Parrot are actually the same place - which, while the food was very good, was extremely overpriced, stuffy with a snooty air about it and also had a very limited menu.

Advertised weekend entertainment was very light jazz (snore fest) - not the local island music scene that was advertised. There are no bars open at night on the resort - up at the brass parrot - jammed in the corner are a couple of seats where you can pester the dinner bartender and get him to make you a drink - not a welcoming place. No night life at all - by 6:00 PM the place is wrapped up with the exception of diners at the Terrace which is non existent after 9:00.

Check in - while promised at 3:00 - our room wasn't ready until close to 5 - no fun sitting around for 2 hours with your luggage after traveling all day. But boy are they right on the ball with check OUT time.

Watch the package that you book and what they try to charge you for at the end and what they actually deliver to you during your stay - NONE of our package (rental car, champagne, massage, 100$ dining credit) was actually delivered or credited without a hassle of repeated calls, visits to the front desk and repeatedly having to provide documentation.

Snorkeling is pretty poor - while that's really the fault of the resort - but if you are looking for good snorkeling on site - this isn't the place. It's mainly sandy with a small rocky area in between the mermaid and grotto beaches.

We found that all of the things that we wanted - snorkeling, good food, lively entertainment and a social night life - was only found off the resort and at other places around the island.

If you are looking for a sleepy sort of a resort and just want quiet time on the beach - then this is your place. If you are looking for more from a "resort" then look elsewhere.

• Stayed July 2007, traveled as a couple
6 Thank myoung6923
NC
Reviewed July 11, 2007

This was simply the worst experience I have ever had.
I don't know where these other reviewers have traveled but if you think this is good, do yourself a favor and try ANY of the major chains in aruba, turks and caicos, etc.
We had a group of 15 staying for 10 days. Our rooms were as far apart as you could possibly get them. This is a large, spread out facility and very hilly. We had 8 yr olds to an 80 yr old. To get up and down these hills (and not spend 15 minutes doing so covered in sweat) you need to call a shuttle. Why they don’t have tram continuously running I don’t know. Sometimes the shuttle comes in 30 seconds, sometimes 20 minutes. You never know.
So I found myself standing with my 80 yr old mother, who can barely walk, sweltering in the heat for 5-10 minutes waiting for a shuttle. At some point you just have to go because you need reservations and sometimes the shuttle doesn't come. Sometimes you call again and they show. However, in the meantime you have wasted a valuable 15-20 minutes of your vacation and then may still have to walk 15 minutes! I would estimate I wasted 12-14 entire hours waiting for and taking the shuttle and walking, just to get to the beach, pool, meals, etc. That’s almost two days of vacation. This is not like being at a Marriott etc. where you are near the lobby, restaurants and pool. I was put easily a quarter mile from everything.
Speaking of pools. They have a pool by the old main hotel that is like a splash pool at most resorts. We never went as it was so small I assumed it was very hot. The "main" pool, by the grotto, had LESS THAN 20 CHAIRS. That is not an exaggeration. Of course it was the size of the pool in my backyard so you really couldn’t fit many more chairs there, yet this is supposed to be a tropical resort.
Because it so small, with two shallow ends, you can’t escape the little kids running and jumping, literally on top of you. Was there a lifeguard or any staff to stop this? No. Where the heck the parents of the kids were I don’t know.
There were MANY days where we went to the pool and there were no towels and no attendant and the best part, no phone to call someone to get any. Simply amazing.
No towels at 10AM in a resort. Want a kayak to take out? My brother and I tried to get one. 10:15AM and no attendant to unlock them. So you walk over to the other beach (or back to your room to call, wasting yet more of your valuable vacation time) and the attendant, that I guess is supposed to be on duty at your “Beach Shack”, is there flirting with the attendants at that beach shack. Again, truly unbelievable the total lack of concern for your enjoyment.
We had a bank of three rooms on the beach. The air conditioning was out or so poor that the rooms were uncomfortable, for 3-4 days out of 10. No or very limited air in 90 degree temps with 100% humidity.
In my room, which was in the far reaches of the resort, I had no internet access in my room. I could intermittently get something on the patio. So I take my laptop to the patio and the ceiling fan doesn’t work. Again we’re talking 90 degrees, 100% humidity. I called it in the first day we were here. They came to check it, said it was broken and would need to be replaced. 3 days later I called again. Nothing. 3 days after that I demanded to see a manager. Still not fixed, but that’s OK because that day they had a major power outage! We lost all power yesterday afternoon. They assured us it would be back. At least now NO ONE had air or fans! We were heading out to dinner and asked what their contingency plan was because it was still light out and we could move to other rooms now, while we could see. They said we didn’t need a contingency plan, it would be fixed. Guess what? No power (in our section) when we returned from dinner. Their “plan” was to send a guy with ONE FLASHLIGHT to try to shine it all over the room to allow us to gather our stuff, to move in pitch black at what is now 10PM. No lights on the hilly paths, no lights in the rooms, no street lights, no nothing. I can’t believe a hotel in the Caribbean, land of hurricanes, wouldn’t have back up generators, lanterns, flashlights etc. The major chain in Aruba did.
Coffee in your rooms? Clean glasses? Well you would think that’s a given right? Not at the amazing Buccaneer. After the first day, I didn’t get coffee replaced in my room. I called at 6PM that evening requesting it. Nothing. The next morning I called, they said they would send it right down. 15 minutes goes by and nothing so I walk to the lobby, hoping to at least get a cup of coffee. The lady says, “Well they had some yesterday here”. Wow! That’s great! None for me today but I only missed it by a day! So I called again and left a note on my coffee machine saying, “please leave two packets of coffee each day”. The next day, the note was still there and no coffee! Now going on three days with no coffee in the room. Of course no tea was replaced but that’s now expected.
My son and I shared the same glass in the bathroom for 6 DAYS. When I turned over the coffee cups in the morning (I bummed coffee from my nephew and mom so I could have some) they had coffee marks in them as if the maid had just rinsed them out and turned them over! Some days you get no towels, others you have 5 sitting there. Why? I have no idea.
Card Keys. This really illustrates their total laze faire attitude of your valuable time. Multiple people in my party, in fact I think all of us, had major to minor issues with key cards. You might have to stand there outside your room and insert the card 10 times to get it to work. Sometimes it worked on the first try, sometimes it just didn’t work. They weren’t getting demagnetized as they were in our swim trunks; we had no keys, etc. The system apparently didn’t work very well but rather than change it out to a new one, they expect you to sit there stuffing your key into the slot repeatedly until it may or may not open. So today, for example, actually just a few hours after moving into our new room, my key stopped working. I took it over to get it re-keyed at 5PM. For some reason the computer that does that was slow (big surprise) so after waiting in the lobby for five more wasted minutes they said they would have someone escort me into my room (so I could get in) and then deliver the keys when they were ready. My son and I took showers, watched a half hour of a movie and finally left for dinner with no key. When I got back to the lobby I told them I was supposed to get a key done a couple of hours before. They promptly got me one, I walked to my room, the key worked but I found someone else’s bag and curling iron on my bed! Incredible. I hit the roof and demanded a manager come over and explain why someone else had access to my room when I didn’t.
Turns out it wasn’t malicious, just the normal incompetence we experienced here. Some staff member dropped someone else’s items in my room by mistake.
Nothing is really airtight here and there are mosquitoes etc. so rather than making functioning screens etc. their solution is to give you a can of off in your room. Do you want to spend your vacation covered in off, in your room? My mom has 6 bites on her foot. My brother had a lizard in his room but he said he didn’t mind because it apparently was eating the ants, beetles and mosquitoes that were in the rooms.
Room Service: One night we called for room service for dessert. I believe 4 or 5 bowls of ice cream and a bread pudding. An hour and a half later, yes 1.5 hours, the ice cream, which is now soup, arrives. The best part is they charge you 18% gratuity AND a 10% delivery charge on top of the food. My mom had to be taken up to her room because she was falling asleep after waiting for so long for her ice cream.
Food. What does food cost here? 9 dollars for a hot dog, 11 for a burger. The food is very tasty but you are stuck here (see below on St. Croix) and the menu at most of the places is the same. It gets old. If you want to eat at a restaurant it is more than in town, lots more. When you are paying this much to stay at a place and they give you absolutely nothing else, I think they can charge less than $9 for a hot dog.
The restaurants. This is very odd. They close the two beach front places at 5PM. So if you are on the beach and want a drink past 5 or a burger at the pool or beach, you are out of luck. Period. I never saw a resort that encouraged people to leave the main recreation areas at 5PM! I really was in awe of the fact that you were not allowed to have a drink and watch the sunset at the beach.
Rooms. The rooms are ok, some actually quite nice, but a bit old and in the beach front one I am in now (as they had to transfer us at 10PM last night due to the power outage) the noise travels so clearly that we are getting up to open our door constantly when someone next door is knocking. The bathrooms in this beach front one are very hot, even at night, and I have no idea why.
Service. Service is spotty and usually mediocre. Sometimes we waited 20 minutes for a rum and coke poolside; finally we would just get up and go get it ourselves. Some staff were great, (especially the shuttle drivers and some wait staff at the mermaid) others treated you with contempt. I guess this staff issue sums things up at the buccaneer, inconsistent. I don’t think most of the people were bad necessarily, but perhaps overwhelmed. It is obvious they need more and better people, everywhere. Better systems, from something as simple as door locks, to their internet, to phones to, obviously, power generating. I guess they lack a training or quality function which would explain why a room could be “cleaned” and no towels replaced or clean glasses put in or coffee replaced. Every hotel I am at gives the maids a check list for these very things and I assume someone checks to see they actually did this. Here apparently not as I have never seen such things. Never.
I believe they have had two things here like Ice Cream socials but they charge you $8 for the ice cream. Good God! They also had a manager's reception once a week. When we went to Aruba at the Wyndham, EVERY DAY they had raffles, pie eating contests, dinner shows, dancing, bingo by the pool. None of which they charged for, and they actually GAVE you good prizes like treatments at the spa, bottles of wine. Here they charge you $8 for a dish of ice cream the two times a week they decide to do something.
St. Croix. The ocean and snorkeling are great here. We went out fishing and got nothing for 5 hours but then my bro in law got a beautiful marlin. JP and Chris on the Wavedancer were great on a snorkeling trip to Buck Island which was pretty impressive. The leeward side beach we stopped at after the dive was straight out of a Corona commercial. Incredible blues and sand so soft you sunk in it. Not much else to do here. Toured the island. Davidson Batchelor was excellent but the tour was sort of boring, especially for kids. An old house, the rum factory and a botanical garden. The garden was very nice and the rum factory interesting and quick. My kids rode horses through the rain forest and liked it a lot.
What they don’t tell you about St. Croix is the cost of transportation. My mom and three others went to the only casino on the island. $80 roundtrip for a 15 minute drive. If you want to go downtown and don’t have a car, apparently it’s the same cost? It’s a tariff and not a meter thing like everywhere else in the world? When you have a group of 15 and you have to pay $9 each, each way to go anywhere, it's cost prohibitive. Overall I would rate St. Croix as just a touch above third world. Surprising as it’s a US territory. You would think the Casino would run a shuttle, they don’t. The dive shops charge you $115 for a dive but if two of you go, add $36 to the total just to get there and back. Apparently the Buccaneer does have a shuttle but only to town, only in the daytime, and its $3 per person each way (Why would they drive you for free into town where you can eat for half of what you pay here) so again for our group it would be $60 on top of the dinner etc. (if this is accurate, we never took it as we decided early on that getting a van was the only way we could afford to do any dining etc. off the premise)

• Liked — the ocean
  • Disliked — everything else
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled with family
12 Thank hedhuntr1963
New Jersey
Reviewed July 6, 2007

We got married at The Buccaneer this year with 45 of our closest family and friends. The Buccaneer was a wonderful place - the grounds were absolutely gorgeous, the food excellent, and the resort employees went above and beyond to make everything perfect for us. The beaches and water were beautiful, and there was something to do for everyone who attended the wedding including: Golf, Tennis, Water Sports/Snorkling and Spa. We loved The Buccaneer so much that we have already booked our return visit for our one year anniversary. We highly recommend visiting.

• Liked — Gorgeous luxury resort with all the amenities, without the stuffiness.
  • Disliked — n/a
  • Stayed March 2007
1 Thank lizlacey
Pennsylvania
Reviewed June 26, 2007

My husband and I were married at the Buccaneer on a Saturday in June. I cannot say enough about how wonderful the Buccaneer was. Our room was very nice...and all of our guests were pleased with their rooms. Every room has a balcony or patio, most had huge bathrooms and very adequate living space. The food at the hotel was very good. The Grotto for lunch if you're on the beach is perfect; the Mermaid has delicious food if you want to cover up your bathing suit and sit and be served. The Terrace and Terrace Bar for the evening are very nice, but a little pricey. The atmosphere and view from the Terrace make it worth it. And breakfast that is included with the room is great. The have everything from cereal and fruit to omelets and pancakes. Definitely take advantage of it.

On to the wedding...we had over 50 guests and everyone, including ourselves, had a great time. We were married on Mermaid Beach-which is the way to go. Barbara Dean, our wedding coordinator, and her staff, did a wonderful job decorating the beach. She was there to tell us who need to be where and when and everything went incredibly smoothy. The reception was gorgeous as well, Dennis and his staff coordinated everything perfectly-it was exactly how I pictured it. The photographer and DJ arranged by the Buccaneer were great as well. I would certainly recommend the Buccaneer if you are thinking of a destination wedding.

The only negative I can think of was the slow shuttle service during the day. While you can walk the entire property, there is a really big hill and it's hard to carry things up the hill. If you need a shuttle during the day up to the Greathouse, make sure to call atleast 30 minutes ahead! We also utilized the spa several times. All of the services were great-everyone was very professional and Ruba is very kind. Keep in mind that the spa is small, however. If you are having a wedding and have serveral bridesmaids (I had four), it will be difficult to get everyone in for hair and nails the day of the wedding. There is only one person that does hair (and she also does nails and makeup). However, they were very gracious about letting us use their space and equipment, i.e. straighteners, which allowed some of my bridesmaids to do their own hair at the spa.

Overall, our experience at the Buccaneer was incredible and we can't wait to return! Please feel free to contact me with any questions.

• Stayed June 2007, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Diplomat2007
Also consider these accommodations in or near Christiansted
Tamarind Reef Resort, Spa & Marina
Renaissance St. Croix Carambola Beach Resort & Spa
The Palms at Pelican Cove
The Palms at Pelican Cove
#2 of 14 in Christiansted

Been to The Buccaneer St Croix? Share your experiences!