“Doesn't anybody smile?”

Ranked #1 of 14 Hotels in Christiansted
A TripAdvisor Member
“Doesn't anybody smile?”
Reviewed July 11, 2005

First time visit to this hotel. Considering the rate, they need to try harder. I've travelled abroad for 35 yrs+. Differences in hotels are quickly apparent when dealing with staff. During stay, saw only one employee smile. Room average- arrived late w/o eating all day, no meal service after 9. Tried to use coffeemaker in room, supplies had dried to solid mass and were unusable, commode seat broken, telephone not working. Probably will never visit island again but if I had to would probably rent house in Lavelle area (rental car necessary). Cheaper and highway 80 drive up mountain a thriller.

• Stayed July 2005, traveled on business
14 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (413)
Jensen Beach Fl
Reviewed June 29, 2005

The meaning of my title is more how you feel at this resort. If your looking for glits and glitter Then this is not the place for you. Go to Atlantis on Paradise Island. If you want to relax, feel the sand between your toes, Experience great restaurants then this is your destination.

I was at this resort 25 years ago and except for some structural changes it is the same. The staff is wonderful. The rooms,though older, are clean and decorated with a carribean flair. I had an Oceanfront Delux Room and since I had previous experience I knew which room I wanted. Rooms 350 and 351 are at the North of the building and are right on Mermaid Beach(which I think is the better beach).

Some of the better restuarants that we went to were Kendricks(my favorite), The Galleon, and Savant. I was dissappointed with Bacchus. Rum Runners is more like a open air sports bar type of place with ok food. Duggans is good but has a limited menu. Tutto Bene was dissapointing. The food at the hotel was pretty good but expensive.

If you go to the bar at the hotel at night say high to Larry and Ella. Nice people Tip them well. Say Don and Emi sent you.

13 Thank DonofJensen
Herndon, VA
Reviewed June 21, 2005

My husband and I stayed at the Buccaneer for 5 nights in December of 2004, and we loved every minute of it. It has a wonderful atmostphere, with the smiling charm of the staff, breathtaking open lobby, warm breezes, and beautifully decorated rooms.

The rooms are very pretty and well equipped. The breakfast buffet was the best way possible to start off your day, with great service and even better views of the water. We had a great experience in the spa, though the spa itself is a little small, the staff made up for that with a wonderful customer-oriented attitude.

The complimentary rum punch or coffee in the lobby is a nice pick-me-up. The beaches are beautiful and relaxing. If you go to St. Croix, you MUST stay at the Buccaneer.

• Stayed December 2004
9 Thank Herndon_Hokies
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed June 20, 2005

The 5 nights my husband and I spent at the Buccaneer were wonderful - excellent service, terrific room, lovely surroundings, beautiful views, courteous, polite and helpful personnel and a terrific bargain. Because it was off season, many benefits were offered - all worthwhile. Although the room has a/c, as does the spa and exercise area, the restaurants, bars and entertainment area do not - they are open air. This is my only complaint. As for St. Croix, there must be a crime problem as you are discouraged from going to town at night. Stores all close at 5:30 or 6 and cabs from town must be arranged ahead of time with a surcharge for service past 10 PM.

8 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
NYC
Reviewed June 12, 2005

I stayed at the Buccaneer for 5 days last week with my husband and 2.5 yr old, and we had a wonderful visit. The staff were consistently professional and prompt to help us with anything we asked. We reserved a Mtn view room (the cheapest room they offer) and they upgraded us at no charge to a 2-room family cottage, which was a pleasant surprise. We got the "Explore & Rejuvenate" package, which includes the 5th night free, a free day of car rental with Hertz, complimentary cocktails and either a free round of golf on their course or a spa package. You can't beat that for value! They provide a delicious breakfast each morning on the Terrace, which has a lovely panoramic view of Christiansted. For dinner, the only option on the grounds was the Terrace which was overpriced and mediocre (although the view was incredible). Our rooms were always cleaned very well. My only complaints were that they close the 2 pools at 5 pm every day, which seems crazy to me, since there is no lifeguard on duty anyway. And the lack of dining options on site in the evening. But the advantage of Buccaneer is that it is a quick 5 minute taxi ride into town (unlike Carambola, which we visited one day and seemed very isolated ... I guess part of its charm). One night we ate at Savante, in Christiansted, which was the best meal we had the whole week. I highly recommend eating there, but be sure to make a reservation ahead of time. The snorkeling off the beach at the Buccaneer (the Grotto beach) is not very good. To see some fish, you will need to go to Buck Island. All in all, we had a great time on our first visit to St Croix.

10 Thank miramom
ellicott city
Reviewed May 31, 2005

What a treat it was to stay at the Buccaneer! This was my husbands and my first time to the caribbean, and we were not disappointed! The service is tremendous, the views exquisite, the food delicious, the location, service and facilities amazing. The concierge was basically just waiting to be helpful to us. The drinks were brought right to us on the beach. It was private enough to be wonderful for our second honeymoon, yet there were enough people around to make it fun and interesting. Definitely go out to Buck Island with Big Beards! We met some people who stayed elsewhere (can't remember the name of it now) and had a nightmare of a trip. We had a wonderful time on St. Croix with the Buccaneer, and we hope to go back as soon as possible!

• Stayed May 2005
8 Thank littlehussle
Venice, Florida
Reviewed May 27, 2005

We were married and honeymooned at the Bucanneer Resort. We chose the resort based upon the outstanding reviews it received on tripadvisor.com. I must say we were not disappointed. It was fantastic! The resort is so large that you never feel cramped or bothered by other guests and it is immaculately maintained. I could not have imagined a nicer place to stay. The grounds are lushly landscaped and one could be content never leaving them and not feel deprived. They have tennis, golf, a spa, shopping arcade, nature trails, jogging trails, exercise room, restaurants and beaches – wonderful beaches! (In fact, during our entire three week stay, we visitied just about every beach on the island, and I have to say the Bucanneers beaches were our favorites.)

During our stay, our room was upgraded twice! Once before we even arrived, our wedding coordinator, Candy, upgraded us to a Great House Suite. Which we thought was amazing, until three days after we arrived we were upgraded to an Ocean Front Doubloun Suite. Now that rocked! We truly could not have asked for more. The entire staff was friendly and helpful throughout our stay. In particular, Patricia & Babylon, two of the nicest people we met on the island. Always smiling and happy with wonderful tips on things to do and people to see. I also want to give a special thanks to Ric at the Beach Shak. Not only did he teach me – an aquatically challenged person - to snorkel but he gave us some wonderful advice on moving to the island. He is also hysterically funny – you must all stop by and meet him. What a doll! Thank you again, Ric!

As I said, the rooms and facilities were amazing. We could not have asked for anything better. The breakfasts, which are included, are awesome. It is not a muffin and coffee and be on your way deal. They provide a lavish breakfast spread at the Terrace Restaurant that we never grew tired of. We did have lunch at the Mermaid Restaurant on Mermaid Beach and that was as good as breakfast. Plus it is so convenient! Just roll off your lounge chair and saunter up the beach for drinks and munchies - what is not to like! The dinners at the Terrace Restaurant are leased out and not nearly as good. I think we only ate there once and decided not to go back.

For any potential brides, we used the Buccaneer Resorts planner, Candy. She was WONDERFUL! She made everything so easy and it was exactly as we had requested. We were completly happy with our experience. The venues available, the photographer, the minister, the cake - all of it was well worth every penny. We were very pleased with the entire experience. I also took the time to visit the spa - another wonderful idea if you are staying there. The massage therapists are so good, I can't remember the last time I was so relaxed.

We agree we could not have chosen a nicer place to stay. Granted, it is expensive to stay there, but we felt it was worth it. The facilites and staff were consistently accomodating and exceeded expectations.

• Stayed May 2005
11 Thank LMO30
Also consider these accommodations in or near Christiansted
Tamarind Reef Resort, Spa & Marina
Renaissance St. Croix Carambola Beach Resort & Spa
The Palms at Pelican Cove
The Palms at Pelican Cove
#2 of 14 in Christiansted

Been to The Buccaneer St Croix? Share your experiences!