“Great beach, Nice rooms, but rude, awful service much of the time”

The Buccaneer St Croix
Ranked #1 of 14 Hotels in Christiansted
Reviewed February 22, 2009

The beach and sea here are wonderful, and the rooms are nice enough, but unfortunately many of the people who work there are so rude I will not be returning. I was there for four nights - the first two nights I was staying alone and thus did not want to sleep on a ground floor. They told me at time of reservation that I could have a second floor room. Well, they were renovating it and thus some of the second floor rooms were not available. They put me in an insolated, ground floor room with floor to celing french doors with flimsy locks. I did not feel safe sleeping there alone, and asked if there were any second floor rooms available. They said yes, but said that in order to stay in them I would have to pay $200 extra a night. I asked for a complimentary upgrade, given the fact that I had been told I could have a second floor room and my request was for safety reasons, and they very rudely refused (the guy at teh front desk started shouting at me). The only person who was nice to me was the bellhop, who witnessed the scene and I think perhaps felt sorry for me - either that or he is just a decent guy. Also, they said that I could be security escorted back to my room (the room was very isolated and you had to walk down dark paths to get there). But it turns out that stopped at 11pm, which I did not find out until I asked to be walked there at 11.15 and the concierge refused, saying that there was no security available other than the person at the front gate. Also, we had requested a 2pm checkout. They said fine, no problem, just remind us the morning of. When my friend called to remind them of the late checkout, they demanded we get out by 11am or they'd charge us extra. I am not the kind of person who cares much about service, but the poor service really marred our stay. I truly felt most of the employees (inc. management) ranged from brusque to outright, shockingly rude, in other small exchanges as well, not detailed here. Which is really sad because the beach is excellent and the rooms pretty comfortable. However, you can stay somewhere else and then pay to go to the Buccaneer 's beach- they have day passes.

• Stayed: October 2008
7  Thank caitfishergirl
Write a ReviewReviews (1,465)

Reviewed February 4, 2009

We have stayed for the last couple of years at the Buccaneer Hotel. This year we were celebrating the 50th Wedding anniversary of my parents at the only location that could satisfy my specific needs and standards. As i work in the hotel industry and manage a very high profile boutique hotel in the northeast, i always try to find a property that reflects the epitome of service and products. And I found it at the Buccaneer. Traveling with my young children, the welcome back and attention to our needs were beyond reproach and so much appreciated by our entire family.
I would like to thank everyone on the staff for their kindness from Stephanie, Babylon, Amy, Ashley, Claudia, Susana, Debie, Veronica, Fritz and many more for always providing the best professional service i could expect. We will be back!

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank emconstruction
Reviewed February 2, 2009

This was my second time at the Buccaneer and this stay was even better than the last. The room was fantastic and the view is breathtaking. I cannot say enough about the staff. We were a large group and our breakfast table was always set up and they were waiting for us without anyone telling them. The staff knew the likes of the kids and their particular cereals were on the table before the kids arrived.

I played golf and had one of my best games while looking over the ocean. I had a massage and weeks later I still feel the postive results.

I would recommend this hotel to everyone to get away and have a very memorable experiece, regardless of age.

I will be back.

• Stayed: January 2009
1  Thank MarkWorcesterMA
Reviewed February 1, 2009

I booked a week at the Buccaneer recently after seeing the positive reviews on this website. I have to say that it was one of the nicest places I have stayed in a very long time. The place had the feel of old money - elegant yet unpretentious. I had an ocean view room steps away from the pool and beach and felt like the whole resort was very private and intmate. Food and drinks were excellent as was the great company that gathered around the terrace bar at sunset to be served by Larry "Love." We discovered many of the guests were returnees and we can understand why. Thought it was a good value vs. other high end resorts I have stayed at. The current special being offered (they gave us $300 Amex dollars) covered all our tips and incidentals so it made it even better.

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled with friends
Reviewed January 27, 2009

After much research on Trip Advisor, we chose the Buc for our one week a year away without our children. My husband and I are in our early forties and have travelled to several other islands, including Jamaica and Aruba multiple times. We were seeking peace and quiet, beautiful beaches and time to chill out and enjoy a slow pace. We were not disappointed! For comparison sake, I will say that Half Moon in Montego Bay was a nicer overall property, but St. Croix as an island is a million times better than Montego Bay if you want to leave the resort for meals, shopping, site seeing.

Pros: The staff at the Buc could not be nicer and accomodated our every request. We especially enjoyed Larry, the bartender at the Terrace bar. He was friendly, funny, and gave us lots of interesting insights on island life. Emmy, the concierge we talked to most, is the jewel of this property. Within minutes of meeting her, she made us feel right at home. She gave us honest insight on local restaurants, beaches, etc. and responded promptly when we asked her for reservations.

We were fortunate enough to stay in the newest part of the property, the Doubloons. We were in a second story room and it was beautiful. The room is large and has a huge bathroom with shower and jacuzzi tub. The view was amazing. The room is sparsely furnished and not a lot of character, but nice.

The property itself is gorgeous, with amazing views from all angles. They kept things very clean. We didn't see the other rooms, so I can't comment.

We rented a jeep and had a great time driving all over the island to see various parts. It is a very interesting island with many different "faces." Christiansted seems rundown from a distance, but is actually full of history and the boardwalk has some great restaurant/bars to enjoy a sunset and look at the beautiful boats in the harbor. We rented from Hertz through the hotel and it was seemless and we got a brand new Jeep Wrangler.

Cons: The food. Not great. The breakfast buffett had a good variety, but the food was consistently cold, and the quality of muffins, bread, fruit, etc. was weak. We figured out that if you ordered from the kitchen the food was much fresher and HOT, so that worked for us. We ate lunch at the Mermaid, and it was tasty. Good pina colada but not sure there was actually any rum in there. We ate at the Terrace Bar a few evenings and enjoyed the food, although it is quite pricey for what you get. We never ate at the Terrace formal restaurant since we weren't that impressed with what we had elsewhere.

The facilities: namely "fitness room", "spa", and "shopping arcade. Very poor. The fitness room is really a tiny room with a few pieces of equipment stuffed in there. If you are looking to stay in shape while there, just hit the jogging trail. The shopping arcade is minimal. The little store is woefully understocked on common necessities such as milk and sunscreen. The clothing store is basically an overpriced golf type boutique. The spa is just a room for manicures and pedicures and two massage rooms. I had two massages which were great, but the facility was not. The rooms are not soundproofed so you spend the whole time listening to the people in the main room getting their nails done. The massage table was cheap-the head piece actually broke off halfway through my first massage.

Overall, it was a wonderful week at a very nice resort. The Bucanneer is very expensive (at least if you stay in the Doubloons) so my expectations were high. We really liked St. Croix as an island. Ultimately the people made the experience terrific!

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled as a couple
5  Thank travelbettie
Reviewed January 14, 2009

This was our 2nd trip to the Buccaneer. Everything was terrific. The staff were friendly and personable, and made sure that we had everything that we needed. The beaches are beautiful. We walked or ran on the jogging trail every morning, then went up for a wonderful breakfast (included in our stay), then hit the beach. We often alternated one beach in the morning, and the other beach in the afternoon just for variety. We played tennis, went out to dinner at some local spots, but for our last few days decided there was no where nicer than the Buccaneer and just stayed in. The rooms, grounds and restaurants were spotless --- and we got a great work out just climbing the hills from the beach to the restaurant. Can't say enough good things about our stay.

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank thirtyplus78
Reviewed December 11, 2008

My husband booked a 4-night trip to St. Croix for my 28th birthday and chose to stay at The Buccaneer as it was a nice hotel when he lived on the island from 1999-2000. Our check-in was fast and flawless, with a complimentary upgrade to a room in the Tennis Villas, which had ocean and golf course views. The room was very well kept, looking as though The Buccaneer is conducting renovations of it's beautiful property (however we didn't see any going on but were told much has changed in the last few months). The Tennis Villas we're nice - a big huge bedroom with a little sitting area, a large bathroom with private toilet and shower (a door separates it from the large "dressing room"). There was a balcony with two chairs that overlooked the ocean, tennis courts, and golf course. We never heard another person while in our room - which was great! We were able to park our rental car for free (I'm not use to that from traveling to other places - so I wanted to note it), right near our villa. The property is set atop a large hill, so going back to the villa from the beach or going to a meal at The Terrace Restaurant was somewhat of a workout - but they do offer a shuttle if you are physically impaired or are just plain lazy! :) The grounds were kept immaculate - the beaches were very clean and the customer service was outstanding (with just one day - Sunday - where we had some trouble at breakfast). The complimentary breakfast buffet is a wonderful touch - it's a hot and cold buffet, all you can eat, and the food was terrific! Larry the bartender was great - go early to his Friday night tastings or else you won't find a seat at the bar! The lunch prices at the beachside restaurant were a little high, but the dinner prices at The Terrace were on par with what is expected. We did find throughout the island, however, that lunch was unusually high priced ($40-60 for two people with maybe 1 drink each), but that dinner prices were reasonable ($100-130 for two, with drinks or a bottle of wine).

The only negative - which isn't The Buccaneer's fault - is the no-seeums (little flies) that BITE. The Buccaneer does provide bug spray in the room (at least our room had some upon arrival), but be sure to use it. I look like I have chicken pox as I didn't believe them when they said to use it!

The Buccaneer was fantastic - centrally located to downtown Christiansted, a quick drive to other parts of the island, and it has a dock where some of the chartered snorkel tours will pick you up rather than go downtown! I have plenty of pictures and can provide more information if needed - send me a note!

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled as a couple
3  Thank KAllan07
Also consider these accommodations in or near Christiansted
Hotel on the Cay
Renaissance St. Croix Carambola Beach Resort & Spa
The Palms at Pelican Cove
The Palms at Pelican Cove
#2 of 14 in Christiansted

Been to The Buccaneer St Croix? Share your experiences!