“Lovely Honeymoon”

Ranked #1 of 14 Hotels in Christiansted
Burlington, Kentucky
“Lovely Honeymoon”
Reviewed August 3, 2014

Went here on our honeymoon, we knew absolutely nothing about St Croix. We found the staff friendly and very helpful. We really enjoyed CJ on Mermaid beach. As a tennis player I found the courts excellent and the Pro Don was able to arrange a couple of matches for me. We found the concierge incredibly helpful in arranging excursions for us. Our room was a decent way away from the beach but it was very close to the dining room which balanced out. We'd certainly go back, we were totally impressed.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
3 Thank bardechh

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (407)
Greve, Denmark
common_n_hotel_reviews_1bd8 1,898 helpful votes
Reviewed August 2, 2014

The Buccaneer is located in the hills just 4 km outside of Christiansted. From the hotel you find a picturesque view of the beach, the sea and the city. The hotel is older, but is constantly being renovated, therefor it appears extraordinarily lovely and well maintained. There is a nice bar and a restaurant where you can get the most delicious food and exotic cocktails in a beautiful setting. The hotel have a magnificent pool area with two swimming pools, sunbeds, towel service and a beach restaurant.
The hotel has shuttle service to Christiansted.
We DO hope to come back one day, soon ...

Room Tip: The deluxe double rooms are slightly larger the the normal one and are all located directly on the B...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
14 Thank springbank
San Francisco, California
Reviewed July 31, 2014

My extended family stayed at the Buccaneer for a week. The people who worked there were incredibly friendly and helpful. The rooms were lovely and an easy walk to the beach. Part of the family stayed out in their Beach House, which I would highly recommend if you have a big group. We had our own pool and lots of room to spread out.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Anne F
Brooklyn
Reviewed July 28, 2014

It's a great hotel. Of course, it has the advantage of being in the midst of paradise.

The grounds are big and expansive. the rooms are very well kept. The two times a day room cleaning is just great. It's also pet friendly, which is great for us, coming without out little dog.

They have 3 restaurants. All three are good. One of them is a fine dining restuarant. We ate there a few nights, and all the entrees were quite good. There is another restaurant that is modestly priced, and also quite good. They had delicious fresh fish. The third restaurant is more of a burger type place, which we didn't venture to.

They also have three pools. none of the stand out as remarkable, but nice, nonetheless.

The beaches are narrow, somewhat artificial looking, but the view of the crystal clear water is just amazing. The beach is clean, well kept, and also have restaurant service.

I was a little dissapointed that the room wasn't really "ocean view", despited what was promised. When I think of oceanview, i think of a room with a big window and balcony right above the ocean. The room we had sort of/kind of faced the ocean - but only in the distance.

All and all, i think it is a 4 star hotel. Maybe a step and a half from being a 5 star.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
3 Thank Michael F
Madison, Wisconsin
Reviewed July 27, 2014

This was our first stay at the Buccaneer and the service was great. I can't say enough good things about all the staff. We stayed in a Family Suite which was great, when travelling with a 9 and 11 yr. The room was quiet and comfortable. We stayed in 167 which is down from the Terrace. Although very close, we could barely hear the live entertainment which started at 7pm but ended promptly 10pm. The TV hummed on a few of the channels on the suite side. The room also had a couple of ants but the staff worked very hard to control the ants. We visited all three beaches, but the kids loved the Grotto and Mermaid beach. The tide was very mild and we felt very comfortable the kids snorkeling on their own. Snorkeling on property we saw rays, crabs, loin fish, barracuda, sea turtle and a small shark. The menu is wonderful! We booked two excursions through the hotel (Buck Island and the Island Tour). Both were great. We also took the shuttle into Christenstad the first day to see the fort and scale house. Very convenient! The staff was amazing! Always great service for snorkel gear, menu and concierge. Courtesy cars everywhere, and offers of assistance. Fresh towels in abundance, and a beautiful, private porch. The Manager's reception was a highlight! Appreciate the generations of the Armstrong family that keep this resort 5 star!

Room Tip: We had neighbors next to use, and we only heard the door close. We stayed down the hill from the Lo...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
6 Thank Cbardenfamily
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed July 21, 2014

My wife and I switched to The Buccaneer after checking in at the Palms at Pelican Cove and being very disappointed there.

In short we absolutely loved The Buccaneer and after scouring the island we think it's probably the best place to stay on St. Croix.

The staff is very professional and friendly, the restaurant is great, excellent pool and beachside bar. We stayed in the main building because it was a lot cheaper than a room near the beach. The only downside there was that the rooms pick up a lot of noise from the restaurant at night. Just a minor annoyance though, and the nightly entertainment ends around 10.

Other great things to do in St. Croix:

-- Definitely do the day trip to Buck Island. Awesome snorkeling.
-- The restaurant at The Buccaneer is convenient and the food good, but you can get better prices in town.
-- Definitely eat a meal or two at the Savant restaurant in Christiansted. Fantastic food.
-- Rum Runners restaurant / bar in town is also great...so is the Tutto Bene restaurant.
-- If you scuba, you can't go wrong with S.C.U.B.A to handle all your scuba trips.

Room Tip: If you got the $$, pick a room near the beach.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
6 Thank Andy G
Flourtown, Pennsylvania
Reviewed July 21, 2014

First, please understand that I am not the "write a review" type. However, after our 2nd stay at the Buccaneer, I feel compelled to tell the world about the incredible people and stunning beauty of this exquisite hotel. Though I am struggling with putting into words the feelings of complete inner peace, total relaxation, and genuine contentment (all while traveling with our 10 and 11 year old sons!!!).

In August of 2013, we stayed as a couple in the Doubloons. Absolutely phenomenal room that is literally 20 steps from the beach. Service was top of the line and food was great, especially in the Terrace. I'm a total breakfast person so I LOVE their daily breakfast buffet - delicious treats for every taste. If traveling as a couple, I highly suggest the Doubloons for a romantic, luxurious vacation. We really didn't want to leave - I actually cried on the taxi ride to the airport. The only thing that would have made that trip better was if our kids were with us.

With that in mind, we traveled back in July along with our sons. After 11 long months of daydreaming about St. Croix, our visit completely exceeded expectations in every way. We arrived at the Buc around 9 am with a warm greeting from Ricky, the guest relations supervisor. He is a fantastic young man who will take care of anything you need. While the finishing touches were put on our room, we enjoyed a delicious breakfast at the Terrace. Our kids, despite a long night of traveling redeye flights, were blown away by the breathtaking views and soothing sounds of the ocean. Within 5 minutes of being at the Buc, my 10 years old son turned to me and said, "Mom, this place is AMAZING. I never imagined it was going to be like THIS!" We sat down to eat and were delighted to see Melrose again and hear him exclaim "Top of the mountain!!" The lovely Kathleen took impeccable care of us every morning and ensured a great start to each day. She is wonderful!! Our other favorite server at the Terrace is Miss Patti - she made my son's birthday celebration truly memorable. Miss Patti will make sure you have the very best service possible. We love her!!

IMHO, the staff at the Buccaneer are the best in the world. Julie, our concierge, is phenomenal. Anything you need or want, she will make it happen. She made arranging and navigating to/from our activities seamless! Through Julie, we booked: Buck Island snorkeling, bioluminescence bay trip (a MUST if you go!), snorkeling tour, watercolor art lesson with local artist Jane Akin for my 11 year old, dinner reservations (including a special birthday cake that was delicious!), transportation for trips into town, SCUBA lessons, and even brought us rum punch and lemonade to our room one afternoon as a surprise. As if the "welcome back" basket filled with treats and wine plus chocolates and personal birthday note for Ryan weren't enough!! They are just incredible.

I know I'm forgetting a ton of awesome stuff but here is what I hands down love the most about the Buccaneer. I have yet to find another place on Earth where my children can safely explore lush island greens, climb gently leaning palm trees, roam sandy beaches, meet and play soccer with new friends from all over the world, snorkel coral reefs, spy crafty mongoose, kayak or swim in the soothing aqua waters of the Carribbean, and enjoy many other truly unique experiences. BTW Polly, CJ, and another wonderful young lady (it's killing me that I can't remember her name!!) are at the beaches and are all terrific!!

Another bonus: After a week at the Buc, I didn't need the "vacation after vacation" that can be typical after traveling with kids. Fwiw, my kids abandoned all devices while there and none of us wanted to leave.

Nothing compares to the feelings of peace and total contentment one has while at the Buccaneer. Simply being there is a gift. We cannot wait to go back!!

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
9 Thank Jackie C
Also consider these accommodations in or near Christiansted
Tamarind Reef Resort, Spa & Marina
Renaissance St. Croix Carambola Beach Resort & Spa
The Palms at Pelican Cove
The Palms at Pelican Cove
#2 of 14 in Christiansted

Been to The Buccaneer St Croix? Share your experiences!